• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
This likely the best point of the entire reason..Bullet proof binding in with a slightly lower bottom end.

I agree DIN 8 is a high start number. Just from personal experience, I'm a DIN 9.5 as 3+ skier not factoring age :rolleyes:, however, I have found that in the higher end bindings (PX15 in my case) I can actually turn down the DIN as they seem to be more flexible and offer better retention at lower settings, than the similar lower general use binding set in the middle while offering similar release characteristics (subjective comparison).

The second is the weight. Less wt just as built proof.

My guess is that the 15's Pivots (and now SPX) could easily be sold as the do all be all bindings for that strong intermediate and up range.

And the 18's for those that just beat in them at the top end and ski in conditions that injury caused by release is worse than a injury caused by retention.

To be fair, the Pivot 15 would weigh the same as the current Pivot 18. Just a few grams perhaps for the lighter weight spring...negligible.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our son has all of the old 916's, 920's, and STHSteel's. Along with some P-18's and Marker 20.0's {newer ones}. He's in a much higher DIN range, and he's not a normal buyer.

Heh, this is how your son and I met. We were at A-Basin a few years back and both of us had the following year Bonafides and both were mounted with vintage 997 Equipes. Both looed at each others skis, our eyes met and just gave each other "the nod". Later in the day we crossed tracks again and started chatting, we put two and two together and your name came up along with Epicski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait, the discussion at TGR is talking of the single-pivot toe, whereas the thread-leader pic is of the dual pivot toe?
No, it is a sigle pivot toe in the picture.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Heh, this is how your son and I met. We were at A-Basin a few years back and both of us had the following year Bonafides and both were mounted with vintage 997 Equipes. Both looed at each others skis, our eyes met and just gave each other "the nod". Later in the day we crossed tracks again and started chatting, we put two and two together and your name came up along with Epicski.

Yep. To be factually correct, 916's or 920's on his. He was an Elan athlete, many years ago, and they were hooked up with the athlete's choice of Salomon or Marker. All in on Solomon, with VIST plates. Now, in the much different world back then, 12 or so years ago, they just threw a lot of stuff his way. He had a lot of red/silver bindings {embarassed to say how many!}, including spares. Then, before most had been skied, he gets a shipment of a full duplicate supply of black and silver bindings. For his tech skis, speed skis, etc. Matched the graphics better! No red on the topsheets.

Mount all of those. What do I do with the others? Just keep them. Might need them. The next summer and fall? All new bindings arrive for each pair of new skis. And they were doing a lot of development on speed skis. For a while each new pair came with bindings, I think until my son said it was just not needed! Yeah....those days ended about then! But we had a ton of Solly metal bindings in the house. Wish we kept them all. I used a number of them, and we just kept a lot in the closet. When his race days were over, he started mounting them.

And it was nice, as although he was with Blizz as a coach, they were fine with his binding choice. He's been a big fan of Blizz/Nordica and their lineup. When he first skied a Bonafide in 2011, out at Hood, he called me and said "you really need to try these!" Had a mix of Solly, Head and a pair of P-18's on a lot of Blizz skis.

Those Solly's are hard to kill. His roommate has on Dynastar through college, and I think there were some P-18 9I6 trades after graduation. I know that his college ski buddies, away from the industry are always looking for his castoff stuff these days.

Are you still skiing any of your older Solly's?
I have had ZERO regrets, other than nostalgia with the STH2 16's. Wife LOVES the 13.

A lot of good bindings out there, too!

But we need the P-15 to return!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The new SPX Rockerflex 15 race bindings are part way there. http://www.look-bindings.com/product/spx-15-rockerflex (Funny how they show a pivot heal in the drawing...why do ski gear manufactures have such error filled/data missing/hard to navigate websites in the world?)

Single pivot toe and short mounting zone like the pivot. Din is 7-15 (marked for 8-15 though).

They do weigh about 230g more than pivot 18's though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new SPX Rockerflex 15 race bindings are part way there. http://www.look-bindings.com/product/spx-15-rockerflex (Funny how they show a pivot heal in the drawing...why do ski gear manufactures have such error filled/data missing/hard to navigate websites in the world?)

Single pivot toe and short mounting zone like the pivot. Din is 7-15 (marked for 8-15 though).

They do weigh about 230g more than pivot 18's though.

I recall being told the Rockerflex is designed to work only with the R21 WC plate, I am trying to find the e-mail.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Let's not go there with our beloved Pivot15.
LOOK has the WTR Pivot12/14 to cover that market

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Let's not go there with our beloved Pivot15.
LOOK has the WTR Pivot12/14 to cover that market

Precisely the angle I'm most interested in exploring - could a flat soled P15 work next to a WTR P12/P14 from a marketing standpoint.

I fear not; I hope someone has a compelling argument for yes.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Good question. Maybe not. Probably depends on what they want to sell, and why.

I wonder what the minimum DIN could be for a maximum 18 DIN, P-18? Could it be re-designed?

Seems like you have the group who wants the maximum 18 DIN, regardless of logic. They just do. On the other hand, you have people who want the same design and same "metal" housing and components, but want a lower bottom end range. I'm there.

IF one binding could accommodate 6-18, case solved for the P-18 and P-15 fans?

I'm no engineer. Guessing that's too big a gap. STH2 16 is 7-16. The have the 13 to drop lower.

In real practicality, very rare is the guy who needs more binding than a P-15. But, the P-18 has cult like following.

The whole WTR thing confuses me a bit, in terms of guessing where we are headed. I will say that rubber lugs are great for any walking. I say that having been in solid sole plug boots forever, until making a boot change two seasons ago. I made the change for a lot of reasons, the lugs were a bonus.....

Good question. Thanks for asking it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good question. Maybe not. Probably depends on what they want to sell, and why.

I wonder what the minimum DIN could be for a maximum 18 DIN, P-18? Could it be re-designed?

Seems like you have the group who wants the maximum 18 DIN, regardless of logic. They just do. On the other hand, you have people who want the same design and same "metal" housing and components, but want a lower bottom end range. I'm there.

IF one binding could accommodate 6-18, case solved for the P-18 and P-15 fans?

I'm no engineer. Guessing that's too big a gap. STH2 16 is 7-16. The have the 13 to drop lower.

In real practicality, very rare is the guy who needs more binding than a P-15. But, the P-18 has cult like following.

The whole WTR thing confuses me a bit, in terms of guessing where we are headed. I will say that rubber lugs are great for any walking. I say that having been in solid sole plug boots forever, until making a boot change two seasons ago. I made the change for a lot of reasons, the lugs were a bonus.....

Good question. Thanks for asking it.

You might not be an engineer but you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. 10 DIN range is the most I have seen, 8-18 on the Pivot 18, PX WC is 10-18..not sure why there is a difference, not sure but....Also Tyrolia does offer a couple of 10 DIN ranges, 6-16 and 7-17.

As far as the "whole WTR thing", that is a discussion all its own in its own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
How much longer do I have to wait for some 'Heritage' collection Pivot 15's to be available :huh:
The 2016-17 season is upon us...:crossfingers:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Since this is SIA weekend in Denver, what better time to bring our NEED for the Pivot 15 out in the open!
Since this site is all about SKIERS and the Pivot 15 is a true skiers binding, let your voices be heard. Now I'll admit
that I may have 'a few' FKS 155's, Pivot 14's and PX 15 Racing bindings squirreled away for a snowy day but that in
know way means that a fresh batch of LOOK Pivot 15's would not be purchased and put on skis tomorrow should that option
become available to us again. With a few up-to-date enhancements like the SS pole point cup and old school colors, I can't see how
they could stay on the dealers shelves for long.
Am I gonna need to print up some 'Bring Back the Pivot 15' tee shirts.... :P

Last edited: