• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yes they are absolutely an evolutionary descendent of the original Nevada/Gran Prix N-17 bindings that first hit the market in the 60's.

Here are just a few of the earlier models;(60's and 70's)

View attachment 13293
I have all these ! (now in a box) except the 3 on the right. Brakes that point forward are a show stopper & killed Look's sales
for a few years.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I have all these ! (now in a box) except the 3 on the right. Brakes that point forward are a show stopper & killed Look's sales
for a few years.

I never have any problems with the forward pointing brakes. I could see a problem in tight New England trees/brush though.
I love the black '77R' binding, still ski many of these! (the one on the far right)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I never have any problems with the forward pointing brakes. I could see a problem in tight New England trees/brush though.
I love the black '77R' binding, still ski many of these! (the one on the far right)

Fine. But I ski trees a lot so it is a problem, along with pole straps.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally I like that the Pivot 15's dropped down to 6 DIN, now if they only made the PX or the New SPX15's do this they could get (gotten) rid of the PX14 and SPX14.

While I do marketing and sales. some decisions just boggle my mind.:nono:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Personally I like that the Pivot 15's dropped down to 6 DIN, now if they only made the PX or the New SPX15's do this they could get (gotten) rid of the PX14 and SPX14.

While I do marketing and sales. some decisions just boggle my mind.:nono:

The Pivot15 does start at a 6. It is a 6-15 DIN range

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
That was the point;) wish they did the same for the PX's and now SPX.

For me it has always been more interesting to see how low a DIN could keep me in, than any macho crap about skiing a binding @ 15+.
The Pivot elasticity let's me ski it right @ 6 or even a bit below in soft snow with no worries :cool:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
coordinating poles and ski bindings??? You guys missed your calling in life... handbags and shoes.

"I wish Steve Madden would bring back the three inch wedge. The 4" makes me feel slutty and the 2" makes my butt look too flat..."

@Mike Thomas, you know you want to rock a pair of those Forza inspired Pivot 15's WITH the matching poles... who wouldn't!!!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
@Mike Thomas, you know you want to rock a pair of those Forza inspired Pivot 15's WITH the matching poles... who wouldn't!!!

You're right... I do. If they make a pink and cyan pair it will match the merino wool underpants I am wearing right now. Sexy!
th

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a ton of discussion over TGR on this, lets continue the support.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
There is a ton of discussion over TGR on this, lets continue the support.

Well, I won't get to see that discussion (not a fan of 'that place'). It may be simply that marketing refuses to make practical, logical decisions.
Let's face the facts that a large portion of the public that skis (not skiers) a few times a year are going to be 'sold' a binding that a friend or ski shop salesperson suggests. It isn't going to matter too much what that is if it's in their DIN range.

We are trying to bring back a SKIERS binding :thumb:

I'd love to see them take a leap of faith (in their product) and do at least a limited edition run to test the waters. I think they might just be surprised at the sales. Besides they already make all the pieces of the puzzle, just have to put them together in the optimum configuration.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I won't get to see that discussion (not a fan of 'that place'). It may be simply that marketing refuses to make practical, logical decisions.
Let's face the facts that a large portion of the public that skis (not skiers) a few times a year are going to be 'sold' a binding that a friend or ski shop salesperson suggests. It isn't going to matter too much what that is if it's in their DIN range.

We are trying to bring back a SKIERS binding :thumb:

I'd love to see them take a leap of faith (in their product) and do at least a limited edition run to test the waters. I think they might just be surprised at the sales. Besides they already make all the pieces of the puzzle, just have to put them together in the optimum configuration.
You should click on the link, there is some very good support and they are the demographics of the binding. Yes, the 15 is a SKERS binding for sure. Bindings are a safety device but also a performance one too, the latter gets missed..or forgotten when discussing them.

The Pivot15 will do everything for Look that they are trying to accomplish, increase market share and sales. There are shops that just will not stock the 18 some because of price but more importantly, DIN range, most customers cannot use a binding that starts at 8. Why do you think the new Salomon Sth2 16 now starts at a 7 and not a 9? I am sure the sales have tripled over the old Sth16 model.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You should click on the link, there is some very good support and they are the demographics of the binding. Yes, the 15 is a SKERS binding for sure. Bindings are a safety device but also a performance one too, the latter gets missed..or forgotten when discussing them.

The Pivot15 will do everything for Look that they are trying to accomplish, increase market share and sales. There are shops that just will not stock the 18 some because of price but more importantly, DIN range, most customers cannot use a binding that starts at 8. Why do you think the new Salomon Sth2 16 now starts at a 7 and not a 9? I am sure the sales have tripled over the old Sth16 model.

This likely the best point of the entire reason..Bullet proof binding in with a slightly lower bottom end.

I agree DIN 8 is a high start number. Just from personal experience, I'm a DIN 9.5 as 3+ skier not factoring age :rolleyes:, however, I have found that in the higher end bindings (PX15 in my case) I can actually turn down the DIN as they seem to be more flexible and offer better retention at lower settings, than the similar lower general use binding set in the middle while offering similar release characteristics (subjective comparison).

The second is the weight. Less wt just as built proof.

My guess is that the 15's Pivots (and now SPX) could easily be sold as the do all be all bindings for that strong intermediate and up range.

And the 18's for those that just beat in them at the top end and ski in conditions that injury caused by release is worse than a injury caused by retention.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The more support from anywhere, the better. And there is solid support from the TGR world.

Look, IMO could sell the 15 in big numbers. The single pivot toe is better. The metal makes for a more solid interface. Put the metal cup in the heel to solve that age old issue. Rolling it out would be simple.

There's a pretty solid market for younger skiers, and smaller skiers......particularly women. My daughter was in Rossi for four years, before a switch to Volkl. She swears by the 15, and that DIN range works. Her freestyle and freeride friends alike just love the design. Some are skiing the 18, and would be just as well served by the 15. Or better.

I realize that a skier is fine these days at the minimum or maximum DIN setting on a binding. Still, some habits are hard to break, and I like to be in a binding that's a touch above the minimum.

Mooching a bunch of barely used race bindings from former ski racing kids and their friends, I settled in for a long time with the Solly 916 as my choice. I also had a couple of pairs mounted with P18's, or FKS185's.

Three years ago, I had a friend go through a pretty severe knee injury, and the bottom line is that at age 65, he should have been in a lower DIN setting. Great skier, great athlete. A bit less muscle mass, and 65 year old ligaments. Didn't make the move when he should have.

As I hit 60, and actually dropped some weight, I decided that the 916 was not the most comfortable choice for me. I wanted to be clicked in at about an 8-9 range. Previously more like 10-12. I wanted a solid interface.

The binding that worked for me was the STH2 16......as Phil says, because of the 7 DIN starting point. IF the Look P-15 were available, I would have bought a few pairs of those, without question. Actually, I think I would have
mounted both, tried them, and bought more of one or the other.

My daughter has five pairs of skis mounted with STH2 16's. I think she'd be all over the P-15. Of course, a lot depends on how/where she sources it!

Our son has all of the old 916's, 920's, and STHSteel's. Along with some P-18's and Marker 20.0's {newer ones}. He's in a much higher DIN range, and he's not a normal buyer.
If he were, I think most of his stuff, if bought new would be P-18's. Maybe Solly STH2 16's on deep snow skis.

I just don't see a P-15 cannibalizing P-18 sales. The guy who wants the biggest and most bad ass is going to always buy the P-18. And often used {see TGR!!}. But I can see a lot of shops selling the P-15, and as Phil mentions only special ordering the P-18. I think the market for the freestyle group as huge. Look could see a big increase in sales.

Agree with all of that thinking. Hope we see it happen. My family would be in, for sure. Not mom, she is in the STH2 13, and loves it. Other than the system bindings on her Super Joy's, which she skis ALL the time.

Bring it back!!!!!!

Sponsor

Staff online