• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Here is to the fortitude of a little yellow sportscar.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last year was a challenging year for us to say the least. What some of you might not know is about a day in early June. I was headed to Sacramento to see some friends and I thought I would take the scenic route in the mountains between Tahoe and Sac and scout out a run for our Miata Club. As I came around a right hand bend I met up with a logging truck who was coming the other way. When they say you see your life flash front or your eyes, well that was not true in my case nor did everything slow down. This all happened so darn quick, there was no reaction time at all.
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2180.jpg

Think about a Miata versus a Peterbuilt logging truck hitting slightly offset at a combined speed of 70-80MPH. How that truck didn't roll over me and how I am alive let alone not incapacitated or dealing with months/years of physical therapy is amazing. We are very thankful.

While it was not a "best day ever", I am alive to talk about it. Thank you for letting me get it off my chest.

Last edited by a moderator:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hey, sometimes the gods smile on you. I've seen some horrible wrecks and seen some people walk away. You must have done something good in your life! :) Stay safe.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa!! Was the car totaled out?

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, sometimes the gods smile on you. I've seen some horrible wrecks and seen some people walk away. You must have done something good in your life! :) Stay safe.
Or so we can start Pugski? While we might not be curing cancer, we are putting smiles on people faces. Isn't that just as important?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Or so we can start Pugski? While we might not be curing cancer, we are putting smiles on people faces. Isn't that just as important?

Absolutely. Humour is the best medicine. And we sure can use some smiles in today's world, can't we?!?! :D

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
A guy right up the street with a Yellow '02 SE just like mine was hit on the freeway by some asshat who thought he was playing Grand Theft Auto and put my neighbor into the center divider. His car was also totaled but Larry walked away with nary a scratch...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So I guess motorcycles aren't on your wish list??

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wow .. Glad you were not hurt! Sorry about your ride, but you can get another.

Maybe not curing, but could be preventing ( if you believe that exercise, fresh air, high attitude, et. all... helps prevent cancers--Vis-vis a couch potato lifestyle.)

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Yes. The power of a smile should never be discounted, and in my experience, there are few joys greater than causing one in person who otherwise thinks their problems are insurmountable.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the truck:
e
IMG_2183.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whoa!! Was the car totaled out?
Yes the car was totaled.
Phil did some intense digging but found another Yellow which has been a part of the family for about a year.
Its been an interesting year, to say the least.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
were you harnessed in?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes the car was totaled.
Phil did some intense digging but found another Yellow which has been a part of the family for about a year.
Its been an interesting year, to say the least.
Were you able to keep the old one as a parts donor car, or did insurance haul it away with the dealer cost settlement less deductible.. that is if you had full coverage?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not the first time that I have heard about someone walking away from a serious accident in a Miata. They are great little cars, and they crash well.