• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help with Tires!

Slaverson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have 24mm width wheels and I’m looking to upgrade my tires to something more grippy. I love the sound of the Maxxis minion dhf’ but I can’t find any that are not Wide trail. Could anyone help finding a better option that works?

thanks

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have 24mm width wheels and I’m looking to upgrade my tires to something more grippy. I love the sound of the Maxxis minion dhf’ but I can’t find any that are not Wide trail. Could anyone help finding a better option that works?

thanks

I run these front and rear and they are just awesome.

These are 2.3's so they should work great with your rims.

TS
Slaverson

Slaverson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

I run these front and rear and they are just awesome.

These are 2.3's so they should work great with your rims.
Thanks for the suggestion . I ride enduro/downhill very often “more downhill”. Would you think these would be great to use at a mtn bike park? Such as Deer Valley?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the suggestion . I ride enduro/downhill very often “more downhill”. Would you think these would be great to use at a mtn bike park? Such as Deer Valley?

Yes, I use them on my Santa Cruz Hightower LT (150mm) at the parks (mostly Keystone), well, when they were open! Awesome tires. So far no issues even though they have a few years of summer ridin'

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am thinking of switching from the Rekons that came on our Habit Neos, they just feel like they are enough for the sandy soil in Nev/Cal.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thinking of switching from the Rekons that came on our Habit Neos, they just feel like they are enough for the sandy soil in Nev/Cal.

I'd about rather die than drag around a DHF or DHR, but you've got a motor, man, take all traction you can get!

FWIW, I ride a LOT of tires every year or two, and find the Bontrager XR4/SE4 has nearly the traction of the revered DHR/DHF combo, but offers much less rolling resistance. Also, 30 day satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My Maxxis Minion DHFs (27.5 x 2.25) and Maxxis Ardent (27.5 x 2.25(?)) keep me on the trail nicely. I'm on a Santa Cruz 5010 C, FWIW.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
2.3 dhf front, 2.3 (I think) aggressor rear.
Or you could try an SS in the rear... But you need to like a good party for that.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Have you conducypted a roll down test to determine your most efficient tire pressure? Tire pressure is a factor of suspension, and plays a huge role in traction. If you are looking at tires, without looking at pressure, you are missing 50+% of the equation.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Slaverson , there are plenty of tires that do well on 24mm internal rims (or are yours 24 external=19mm internal?)

Basically anything under ~2.4” wide. DHF and DHR, High Roller, Magic Mary, SE5 etc.
For really loose deep moon dust etc, go Specialized Hillbilly.

What wheel size are you looking for?

The problem for bikepark riding with narrower rims like that, is that the pressure you need to keep the tire from “rolling” and squirming on the rim in high speed corners, is too high for good traction.

You can combat that by using a stronger casing (Maxxis doubledown, Schwalbe Supergravity, Specialized BLCK DMND, etc) and Crushcore tire inserts.

Softer, grippier rubber (Maxxgrip, Schwalbe super soft, etc) can also slightly help reduce the effect of the higher pressures, but mostly helps with grip on wet surfaces.

In the rear, go for a faster rolling, more durable compound, and perhaps a faster rolling tread design too.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January