• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slaverson

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So recently I have been trying to figure out how to do a wheelie on my mountain bike. I’ve gotten to the point where sometimes I can do maybe a 5 second wheelie but most of the time I just fall back down.

When I wheelie my bike starts moving too fast and I find myself pedaling harder and being in too high of a gear to keep it going.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

If it helps I have a full suspension mountain bike.

Thanks

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Practice up hill? Hard pack dirt so when you eventually fall on your back it doesn't lay you out for a month.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Build a Manual Trainer. It is not so much about "doing wheelies", but it is a valuable drill for bike control.

Handlebars

Booting up
Skier
Going uphill helps, also don’t be afraid to shift up to keep good pressure on the peldals. Sit down, lean back, and straighten your arms as you pull the front wheel up. Keeping your upper body as quiet as possible will let you keep riding the wheelie longer. Use pedal power to reach the balance point, and tap the brake if you go back too far. Practice lots and it gets easier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As noted above, when learning, a slight uphill is amazing.

Mostly, people get going too fast because they are unwilling to keep the front high enough. You gotta get it up there and kind of "creep" along using the front brake.

Rear suspension complicates things. Lock it out if possible to start with.

But my best tip -- from childhood memories -- is to pad your tailbone during the learning curve!!!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like everything else its about balance, not power or speed.

Learn to balance in a wheelie position you can ride as slow or fast as you like.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
D5BAB844-B0B6-45D8-A419-5883C1962FB4.jpeg
Second gear, Dip the clutch and roll off the throttle to compress the front suspension, and then when the front suspension rebounds, roll on the gas quickly.
Be sure to cover the back brake.
Sorry wrong bike.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
View attachment 78097 Second gear, Dip the clutch and roll off the throttle to compress the front suspension, and then when the front suspension rebounds, roll on the gas quickly.
Be sure to cover the back brake.
Sorry wrong bike.

yawn.......

Sponsor

Staff online