• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Help...Need next used ski

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Honestly, that ski I have no experience with. I have never seen one nor been on it. The dimensions are the same as the Blossom WhiteOut, a Pugski members favorite though.

Yes I noticed that, one of the reasons I asked. A WhiteOut for $299 wouldn't be a bad thing, eh.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi @1chris5 , thanks for the shout out, and, Welcome to Pug Ski. Blue is my home mountain, I ski mostly weekdays, although with our warm eastern Pa. winter, my days there have been very few this season. PM me if you will be there midweek. Another Blue skier is @Roby lukens and he is a very good higher speed carver, I hope he offers some thoughts. I agree with all written above that your existing K2's and mid 80 waist skis do not match up well with what you are trying to do.

Both Robby and I primarily use 165 Sl skis, they would meet your criteria for making short turns and they hold great on refrozen Blue snow. There is a lot of higher speed performance in a FIS Sl ski, most who ski them do so with turnshapes that are more GSish radius than very tight.
Sl skis can be skied in bumps, but, they are not very friendly due to the tail of the ski not wanting to release, and, you can over-bend them in tight mogluls. I stay out of Blue's bumps unless conditions are ripe, usually with it is warm with soft snow.

Many good Blue carvers choose a Masters GS ski like this one in the Pugski gear sale. The seller is a top notch provider of carving skis to this community, and, the price is right. Prior to next year, he will probably have Sl skis.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/rossi-9s-cheater-gs-180-great-condition-275.4087/

The Kastle 78 and similar carving skis are also great for Blue. I ski a Hart 77 waist,1 out of 3 days, at Blue, and it provides all the performance I need. The Head Supershapes are also very good, but, I would stay in the narrower waists of those skis. Unfortunately, a high end 1 year old carving ski from Kastle or Head may strain your budget. There will be many fine skis suitable for Blue that are placed in "Phils Garage Sale". between now and the start of next season. I'll keep an eye out and update this thread with a link to other skis you may like. I purchased my carvers used. BTW, there will be many great skis for your wife offered before next year, just tell the community how she skis.

Minor rant, mid-60's temps this weekend, I much prefer the hard cold winter snow, not a fan of pushing Blue scrapped off crud warm snow.
Hi @Living Proof - thanks for the links to those beautiful sl skis. It is serious food for thought. These recommendations on this forum are priceless.
On a side note - I ski Mon.-Wed. but not this Mon. because holiday. I'll PM you if weather permits next week. We usually ski (wife and 2 small shredders [homeschooled]) from about noon to 7 and I would love to ski some runs with you. By the way -
FEB. 22 Limited quantity 40% off. season ticket sale. Cheers

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hi Josh - when you note the Nordica WRC Master GS ski do you mean Nordica Doberman Spitfire Pro or is there a specific ski by that name? Do you think I could rip shorter turns with GS or is it possible to rip more GS like turns with an SL (and does the Spitfire Pro or whatever also come in GS?). I am intrigued by the Masters race ski, I would not race on them though and would need a little turn flexibility.

http://www.nordicausa.com/product-d...late=ski&product_uid=278172&color_number=BKGN I mean these....

The Blizzard WRC is the same exact skis as well. I own them in a 182cm and in all honestly they can carve a a fairly short turn, and do performance fall line shorts pretty easily. I do not think the spitfire is even made anymore.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
(
Hi @Living Proof - thanks for the links to those beautiful sl skis. It is serious food for thought. These recommendations on this forum are priceless.
On a side note - I ski Mon.-Wed. but not this Mon. because holiday. I'll PM you if weather permits next week. We usually ski (wife and 2 small shredders [homeschooled]) from about noon to 7 and I would love to ski some runs with you. By the way -
FEB. 22 Limited quantity 40% off. season ticket sale. Cheers
Hi Chris. I've been a Blue skier since the early 80s. I would echo everything mr. Proof has said. My daily ski is a head fis slalom bought from scottskier this past year. I think it is the perfect ski or at least the perfect type of ski for someone looking to achieve carve bliss most days at blue. You can make longer turns on the radius (in my case 13) or push shorter quick hitters knowing that the ski will hold like velcro. Speed limit is determined purly by my wiilingness to risk death but not by what the ski can handle. I also ski a fischer cheater gs (175cm, 16 radius) on days when the snow is super flat and visability is excellent. Check out scottskier's reviews of non-fis race skies to get an idea of what is available in that category. He really knows his stuff and has steered me straight on the two pair of sls i bought from him. On a related to blue mt note, don't know if you were at blue either wednesday or thursday, but there were back to back demo days there. I am kind of looking for a slush/powder(what...powder at blue mt?) ski for end of season skiing at blue. Got to try12 different pair of all mt skis ranging from 83 under foot to about 108. Great two days of testing slush skis as the weather was perfect for producing the stuff. Hope you find what you are looking for and as mr. Proof says, we should try to meet up for some turns.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
(Hi Chris. I've been a Blue skier since the early 80s. I would echo everything mr. Proof has said. My daily ski is a head fis slalom bought from scottskier this past year. I think it is the perfect ski or at least the perfect type of ski for someone looking to achieve carve bliss most days at blue. You can make longer turns on the radius (in my case 13) or push shorter quick hitters knowing that the ski will hold like velcro. Speed limit is determined purly by my wiilingness to risk death but not by what the ski can handle. I also ski a fischer cheater gs (175cm, 16 radius) on days when the snow is super flat and visability is excellent. Check out scottskier's reviews of non-fis race skies to get an idea of what is available in that category. He really knows his stuff and has steered me straight on the two pair of sls i bought from him. On a related to blue mt note, don't know if you were at blue either wednesday or thursday, but there were back to back demo days there. I am kind of looking for a slush/powder(what...powder at blue mt?) ski for end of season skiing at blue. Got to try12 different pair of all mt skis ranging from 83 under foot to about 108. Great two days of testing slush skis as the weather was perfect for producing the stuff. Hope you find what you are looking for and as mr. Proof says, we should try to meet up for some turns.
Hi Roby, You are stating exactly the conclusions I'm coming to re: Blue "DD". I am also enamored with @ScotsSkier skis. My decision is whether I want SL or GS. I am leaning toward a 180 GS with tr @ 18m. I can envision an SL with @ 13m radius but I am wondering as a "DD" will that just be exhausting to link that many short turns? I focus on turn shape always and was just watching a JF Beaulieu youtube vid trying to pry the secrets from his style as that is exactly what I want to be (when I grow up). I guess my quandry is what will be more versatile - a gs or sl at blue as I have a one ski quiver (although I'll keep my Apache Recons also).
Also, I was there on Wednesday and got to try 0 skis. Long story but centers around my wife and kids. When I did get to Buckman's, I was too late. I was talking to the Rossi rep about Hero ST and LT. Serious lost opportunity. It was mushy but as the shadows emerged, I found the skiing to be superfast. When it's that mushy, the bumps become tolerable but some of the troughs between bumps were crazy narrow and deep. I would love to meet up for turns. We usually roll in about 11:30am and lv @ 6:30ish. Will be there Mon-Wed (weather permitting) this week if you want to PM me. Cheers

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
On a related to blue mt note, don't know if you were at blue either wednesday or thursday, but there were back to back demo days there. I am kind of looking for a slush/powder(what...powder at blue mt?) ski for end of season skiing at blue. Got to try12 different pair of all mt skis ranging from 83 under foot to about 108. Great two days of testing slush skis as the weather was perfect for producing the stuff. Hope you find what you are looking for and as mr. Proof says, we should try to meet up for some turns.

I was there demoing on Wednesday. What did you like for those conditions? Everything I tried was nice, but nothing that I would want to replace my Laser Ax's or Motive 95's.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
I was there demoing on Wednesday. What did you like for those conditions? Everything I tried was nice, but nothing that I would want to replace my Laser Ax's or Motive 95's.
I would say that the nordica enforcer 100, atomic vantage 90, and the blizzard brahma were my top 3. I did not get to the bonifide or the enforcer 93 but i'm thinking they would be included in a top 5. Man that was a fun 2 days and as i said, perfect snow to test for slush skis.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I would say that the nordica enforcer 100, atomic vantage 90, and the blizzard brahma were my top 3. I did not get to the bonifide or the enforcer 93 but i'm thinking they would be included in a top 5. Man that was a fun 2 days and as i said, perfect snow to test for slush skis.

For the conditions, I thought the Enforcer 93 was better than the 100. Rossi Exp 88 was probably second favorite, but my legs were toast by the time I tried it from hitting piles of crud all day.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
For the conditions, I thought the Enforcer 93 was better than the 100. Rossi Exp 88 was probably second favorite, but my legs were toast by the time I tried it from hitting piles of crud all day.
I know that toasty leg feeling. Especially by the end of thursday. The last ski i tried was the volkl mantra in 177 length and i think a 103 or 108 width. Probably too much ski for me but boy what locamotive that was. Just turned the whole trail into a flat groomed train ride.

Gar

Booting up
Skier
Race Ski Question.... Son is Skiing USSA (to some extent) Mostly racing High School and competitive club, his team just won state in Cross Country a few months ago and I just noticed he is much leaner and lighter than last year, seems like he is having some slight issues turning quickly on the Hero Masters 180cm 21m radius and the FIS Hero SL women Slalom ski. Just curious what would be a great SL ski that is a tad more flexible? He seems to gravitate towards, Rossignol but I did buy a Fischer GS for him to try out. He didn't like Blizzards at all and any Head was just way too stiff. I was thinking more of a tweener ski maybe.. Suggestions welcome..

Sponsor

Staff online