• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help! Need New Goggles for Wife

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
My wife's trusty Oakley Stockholm goggles have served out their useful life. I was planning to get her a new pair for Christmas, perhaps with a fancier lens. Well, Oakley has thwarted my plans by discontinuing the Stockholm. So, please tell me what I should buy instead!

She likes the stylish "womens" look of the Stockholm. Her face is small. I previously got her some Smith I/OS that she used once. They fit OK, but she said the wind blew through them too much.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
...they are still available on Backcountry.com?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on the Oakley Prizm lens series. I have the Prizm Rose and although they are for "flat" light, I can ski them in full sunlight with no issues. I do prefer the Prizm Jade for sunny days but if there is ever a question, I reach for the Rose. I own them with the Flight Deck XM frame and they are very easy to switch out.

With all that being said, it looks like you can still find a few Stockholm goggles out there. Are they so trashed that you can't buy a new lens for them? Because those appear to be available.

TS
Xela

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I'm interested in the Prizm technology, but I think that's separate from finding a goggle frame that's stylish and fits. Obviously, we won't find Stockholm with Prizm. Most of what's still available on the net is less desirable in terms of colors, but that might be the way we go. I think it's good to get new frames, not just lenses. The original goggles were purchased before the days of helmets and the foam is probably shot, too.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Are there any other brands/models to look at. I'm somewhat dubious that Asian fit is equivalent to women's fit.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm interested in the Prizm technology, but I think that's separate from finding a goggle frame that's stylish and fits. Obviously, we won't find Stockholm with Prizm. Most of what's still available on the net is less desirable in terms of colors, but that might be the way we go. I think it's good to get new frames, not just lenses. The original goggles were purchased before the days of helmets and the foam is probably shot, too.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Are there any other brands/models to look at. I'm somewhat dubious that Asian fit is equivalent to women's fit.

Does sound like the goggles are totally shot. Sounds like it's time to go try several brands on :D

kimmyt

Skier

There are many women (who tend to have narrower faces) on ski diva that use the Asian fits. I believe the asian fit goggles also tend to fit shallower nose bridges and higher cheekbones (i could be incorrect). I am sure that they wouldn't necessarily fit every woman, no women's specific goggle would though. But I wouldn't rule them out. I suppose since these are a gift you couldn't find a way for her to go try on a bunch of models at a gear store in the name of research? :)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
The Asia fit is the women's fit. Just asked at the store because my friend that is working there would be using the Stockholm if it was still available. And the local ski shop is a Oakley premier store.

But you need her noggin and helmet to ensure a good fit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You can't extrapolate from the hand measurements and the approximate sound made by :doh:?

Once you've got those eigenvalues, it's a simple (ok maybe not quite simple) question of matching the pants.

kimmyt

Skier
I surreptitiously measured her hand for mittens yesterday, but I doubt I could get a plaster cast of her head without raising suspicion.

Be careful, now she might think you're measuring her for rings and might ask her to marry her.....

Perhaps, non-romantic as it may be, a gift cert to a good store with lots of options? Or do what my husband does, print out a picture of a pair of goggles and give it to me and then have me order what I want. :) But we're historically a-romantic and not very good at the gift thing.

Edited to add: Or a pair of goggles and a good return reciept.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Smith has a model that fits small faces very well, it is even smaller than Stockholm. It is also not interchangeable, so it will be sealed quite well and would take care of the issue with IOS. Its too bad because I would consider IOS the best goggle for small faces bar none. Actually, another small face goggle is the A-frame that you sport in your profile picture, but that's more or less a two-generations behind frame.

BTW, probably not relevant to this ahead, but I would not necessarily make a major investment in goggles this season because I believe there is a number of NXT-lensed options coming next year, which actually deliver noticeable improvements relative to the current PC-lenses designs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Flight Deck XM, which is the smaller version of the Flight Deck. They have a great field of vision, which is something I need in a goggle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just want to reiterate that it needs to fit not just her face but her helmet. I like Kim's idea of a picture and then letting her choose.

TS
Xela

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Thanks for all the help, folks. I've decided to just get a cheap, but oddly-colored Stockholm on closeout (from backcountry.com) for now. That'll fill the immediate need and leave some budget for NXT lenses or whatever next year. The thing is that my wife really doesn't like to spend time gear shopping. So, it'll take some doing to get her to a store to try on various options.