• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help! My first pair of Skis.

Carlos R.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,

I'm excited to have purchased my first set of skis but I am having difficulty adjusting the bindings with my boots. I realize I should take them to a tech but I wont be able to do it until the end of the month and I only have 2 weeks to make any exchanges on the skis/bindings. I need to know if I am setting them wrong or my bindings were inappropriately installed.

My set of boots are Salomon Quest Access Custom Heat Ski Boots 27.5/ BSL is 318

My skis are 2017-18 Elan Amphibio 84 Ti 176 cm Skis with Axium 120 Bindings

I adjusted the bindings to the BSL of 318 and you can see right away (from the photo) that the boot wont fit in, it is short by 1.5".

I ended up setting them up to Toe 328-340 and Heal 348 and this allowed the boot to fit but at a different settings.
I recreated the same thing with a different ski boot at 308 mm and still had the same issue.

What am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate it if you could guide me and give me some feedback.

Thank you for your assistance,

Carlos R.

Boots wont fit bindings
20190311_233333.jpg

Bindings moved to a different BSL and the fit.

20190311_232828.jpg

20190311_232815.jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the wrong jig was used to mount the binding. They used the smaller setting vs the larger setting. Don't ask how I know. :)

You have to do what you just did and find the appropriate length, since the numbers will be off.

I guess the binding adjustment value was never set either for you. A lot of hill rental departments can do this for you and usually free.

TS
C

Carlos R.

Skier
Looks like the wrong jig was used to mount the binding. They used the smaller setting vs the larger setting. Don't ask how I know. :)

You have to do what you just did and find the appropriate length, since the numbers will be off.

I guess the binding adjustment value was never set either for you. A lot of hill rental departments can do this for you and usually free.

Hello Dwight,

Thank you for your feedback. I have another question, I noticed that in all the videos, photos, of this Axium 120 Bindings both the toe and the heal are joined together by a plastic in the middle. They all appear to be the same....yet I saw a video on YouTube someone mounting a 308 boot and they set the right sizes on the bindings and fit like a glove. I am leaning towards your idea that they used the wrong template but could this be possible if it has that middle piece?

Thanks,

Carlos

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Make sure that the binding is set at boot sole center as well as the correct boot sole length. With your binding being "off" you'll need to have the shop who adjusts it play with that.

TS
C

Carlos R.

Skier
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the support and valuable information that you have shared with me.

Continuing my issue, I was able to fit my boots of 318mm into the 338 binder settings. They are very very snug. If you can tell from the first & second photo the forward pressure is slightly past the middle.

My boots are right on the spot on the midpoint mark on my skis. So far so good right?

Here's where my dilemma comes setting up the AFD. My is putting so much pressure on the AFD that I can't even slide it when forced. There is just no moment. So I realize I must adjust this setting, but I cant find how. I don't see a screw that I turn to adjust these binding. Does anyone have any experience on how to adjust the AFD on these bindings?

My set of boots are Salomon Quest Access Custom Heat Ski Boots 27.5/ BSL is 318

My skis are 2017-18 Elan Amphibio 84 Ti 176 cm Skis with Axium 120 Bindings

I'm 5'9, Weight 205, Male, Ski level is starting intermediate. 39 years old. Type 2 skier. Should my bindings be set at 6 or 5.5?

Thank you all again for your help!

Carlos R.

20190314_001516.jpg

20190314_001524.jpg

20190314_001532.jpg

20190314_001652.jpg

20190314_001757.jpg

20190314_001857.jpg

20190314_002014.jpg

20190314_002020.jpg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yea because there are so many concerns, you should get this tested.

If you do go to a shop and you pay for a binding adjust and TEST; make sure the shop actually performs the TEST portion on the testing machine, and you either get a printout with the results of PASS, or you see them do it live and they show you the PASS on the monitor.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Make sure that the binding is set at boot sole center as well as the correct boot sole length. With your binding being "off" you'll need to have the shop who adjusts it play with that.

Yes, you could end up with a boot that properly interfaces with the binding (discounting the fact that you had to cheat it to get there) but now your boot center is WAY off from where it should be relative to the ski.

Enough going on here to go back to the vendor and make them take care of it. Good luck!

TS
C

Carlos R.

Skier
Hello Everyone,

That's is my plan. Getting them fitted and tested because now this out of my skill level. Does anyone know the typical cost of

A) Mounting & Testing or testing alone?

B) Wax

C) Tuning

I am also unsure weather new skis really need to be waxed or not. Do they need to be tuned or not?

Thanks again,

Carlos

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like some on this site do almost everything on my skis myself. That said, my best advise for those that are starting out, if you have to ask (on a forum) about anything that pertains to safety.... DON’T.

It’s not that you are discouraged to learn, but the chance of an error occurs because of a slight misunderstanding on the question or answer can have serious consequences.

@Carlos R. in response to your original post

Read @Dwight post again, the binding is mounted wrong, call the seller and ask for a solution. More holes on a ski is not a good thing. Make the exchange (bring your boots) and get new ones.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello Everyone,

That's is my plan. Getting them fitted and tested because now this out of my skill level. Does anyone know the typical cost of

A) Mounting & Testing or testing alone?

B) Wax

C) Tuning

I am also unsure weather new skis really need to be waxed or not. Do they need to be tuned or not?

Thanks again,

Carlos
A) Adjustment of the system bindings a good shop will do it for Free or no charge esp if they are not busy. It should only take them maybe 5min to do the adjustments or look it over. If they are busy or you want them to actually test, then this is typically $25-$30.

If it needs to be remounted or needs a new mount, this is typically $50-$60 but again you should involve original shop if this is the case.

B) Wax depends on how thorough a wax job you want.

• quick machine wax that just goes over maybe $5-$15 and last for a 1-3 days, or may get thrown in for free with (A) or any other service.
    • This maybe just a friction wax (cheapest), or
    • machine run over hotwax and then over a buffer (better).
  • (Edge and Wax) is better job which is Edge deburring or sharpening +Iron Wax job typically costs $20-$35 depending on if edgework is just deburring or real full sharpening; this wax last you 5days of skiing, depending how long you ski and how fast and abrasive the snow is.
You can also learn how to do this yourself

C)
  • Typically a $45 tuneup will do base grind work, reset base/side edges, and include wax
  • A $60 full tuneup will do the above but also fix any repair small base damage (gouges or small sections, you may have.

Strategy:
If money is tight you don't necessarily need to tune your brand new skis for day1, because at your skill level you are not racing for the fastest. Tuning is also dependent on how much damage your ski undergoes.
Suggestion:

• You can go ski brand new skis for a day or 2 just as the factory there is a little wax in there and you are not racing or needing top performance. If anything is weird you can ask at the shop after you've skied it once to save some money. If you are going in and pay them to adjust/test bindings you can have them wax it if you like or ask their advice for a cheap wax.
  • Then you can get a iron wax every 5days or quickwax every 1 to 3days depending on if you feel if it makes a difference.
  • You can do a edge/wax tune after perhaps 10-20 days, and/or a full tune say once a season (20-30days) depending on if you encounter any heavy damage. This will also wax your skis.
  • You can also see if paying the money for tuning makes the skis any better for you. Some people do not have the skills developed to tell or appreciate any of the difference between a ski that hasn't been tuned for many days.
Lookup any ski shop near your home mountain they will have a webpage for tune services with their price lists, or pop in and ask them.
A good shop will always examine your skis and advise you on what you need if you are unsure as everyones skis are different.
If a shop just takes your skis without at least looking them over and seeing it needs that work; walk away that is not a good shop. For the bigger tunes, there typically are specials or deals especially in beginning of season to get you in the shop, or prepayment specials like pay $75 and get 3 tunes for the season.

If costs start to build up, take a look over in tuning forums or other tutorials to learn how to wax yourself and perhaps do side edge work which will cover majority of your tuning jobs. You can leave the full-tune to the pros once a season or so.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online