• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Help me with my next ski (90-98mm)

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
First, big shout out to this community. You guys help me settle on a pair of Backland109's and it was a great decision. I am now on a mission to find my next ski.

A bit about me: 6 foot three, 215, 37 years old, lives in Utah. Before I got the Backland I was skiing on an E 100. I had bought that to be my front side ski and the backlands were purchased to help me in the soft snow and more powdery off piste conditions. I still like the E1 hundred but they are much more of a front side dedicated Carver and I'm looking to phase those out in favor of a more front side oriented ski that will still rail a groomer but is a bit more versitle off trail, especially in so-so conditions in between storms.

My thinking is landing me in the 90-98mm category and my initial thoughts are leading me towards the following: enforcer 93, pinnacle 95, vantage cti 90. What else should I consider? I'm also curious about the lengths in some of those. Contrary to pugski, blister is ok sizing the enforcer down, so what size enforcer should I consider? Also, the longest length of the vantage 90 is in the mid 180s...is that too short?

Again, you guys helped me out the first time so I'm coming back for more! Thanks in advance.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
A little confused here.......you think an Enforcer 100 is a dedicated carver so you want a mid 90's ski to rail groomers but also be more versatile than the E-100 off trail? Was I reading that correctly? Or.....did you mean something else?

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
A little confused here.......you think an Enforcer 100 is a dedicated carver so you want a mid 90's ski to rail groomers but also be more versatile than the E-100 off trail? Was I reading that correctly? Or.....did you mean something else?

Not the Enforcer 100 - the Experience 100.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I see the confusion in my terminology! My frontside ski is a Rossignol Experience 100. I am looking for something that will still rail a groomer but is a little better off piste and am considering the Enforcer 93, Pinnacle 95, Atomic Vantage 90cti. Looking for other recommendations, sizing, and general thoughts.

Sorry for the confuson.

First, big shout out to this community. You guys help me settle on a pair of Backland109's and it was a great decision. I am now on a mission to find my next ski.

A bit about me: 6 foot three, 215, 37 years old, lives in Utah. Before I got the Backland I was skiing on an E 100. I had bought that to be my front side ski and the backlands were purchased to help me in the soft snow and more powdery off piste conditions. I still like the E1 hundred but they are much more of a front side dedicated Carver and I'm looking to phase those out in favor of a more front side oriented ski that will still rail a groomer but is a bit more versitle off trail, especially in so-so conditions in between storms.

My thinking is landing me in the 90-98mm category and my initial thoughts are leading me towards the following: enforcer 93, pinnacle 95, vantage cti 90. What else should I consider? I'm also curious about the lengths in some of those. Contrary to pugski, blister is ok sizing the enforcer down, so what size enforcer should I consider? Also, the longest length of the vantage 90 is in the mid 180s...is that too short?

Again, you guys helped me out the first time so I'm coming back for more! Thanks in advance.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Ahhhhh.........I missed where you said Experience 100. Better clean my glasses. IAC......almost anything is better than an Experience 100 in off trail work so your list is fine. I'm not sure I'd use the term "rail groomers" to describe a Pinnacle 95 though.

SJ

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot's of good skis. I use a Liberty Origin 96 for what you describe. Very much a good all around all mtn ski.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
The skis you mention are all great skis, I currently own both the 16/17 Bonafide and Pinnacle 95. They are different enough to justify having both, although the Pinnacle 95 is getting less and less use now that I have the Bonafide.
The Pinnacle is a very playful ski, and first choice in soft snow with soft base under that snow. However, since the weather in Colorado this season has seen such temperature variations, the base is pretty firm even when we get new snow...which is why I have been reaching for the Bonafide first. The Bonafide is a strong, reliable, predictable ski that I find is still pretty playful and quick(not as quick or as playful as 95). I wish the Pinnacle was a touch stronger, and had a slightly longer running length(less rocker) @Philpug 17/18 Pinnacle perhaps??
I have demoed the Atomic Vantage 90, I really wanted to like this ski, but it didn't click with me. I have not skied the Enforcers, but heard great things, and from what you looking for could be perfect for you.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@DB Cooper -- we're about the same size if you remember from the Backland hunt. Out of the skis you mentioned, I like the Enforcer 93 and Atomic Vantage 90CTI the most for your described needs. Don't balk at the size of the Atomic. I was on the 184, and it was all the length I needed in 6" of windblown pow, soft bumps, crud and groomed. I tried to find the top-end and came up empty. The CTI flat out flies when wanted but calms down and skis slow speeds with ease and confidence. It was one of my favorites from SIA this year.

The Enforcer 93 is a tad more frontside oriented IMO, probably not enough to really matter. It handles off piste nearly as well. Personally, I prefer the Enforcer 100 because I feel it has more off-piste chops without sacrificing groomer performance.

All that said, take a look at the new Bonafide. The new tip and tighter turn radius may be what you're looking for.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
+1 for the Bonafide.

I really liked the current model in 187cm length and found it quite versatile and solid on groomers!

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the advice. So, if I read this correctly, there is no real difference for what I'm looking for between the Enforcer 93 and Vantage 90. Do you have a sizing rec on the enforcer? I'll have to try them both! I'm shying away from the enforcer 100 and Bonifide is because I want a little more separation in waist from the Backlands to my second ski. If I get a mid 90s ski there is always room for a 100 further down the road, and I still have my Experience 100s.

@DB Cooper -- we're about the same size if you remember from the Backland hunt. Out of the skis you mentioned, I like the Enforcer 93 and Atomic Vantage 90CTI the most for your described needs. Don't balk at the size of the Atomic. I was on the 184, and it was all the length I needed in 6" of windblown pow, soft bumps, crud and groomed. I tried to find the top-end and came up empty. The CTI flat out flies when wanted but calms down and skis slow speeds with ease and confidence. It was one of my favorites from SIA this year.

The Enforcer 93 is a tad more frontside oriented IMO, probably not enough to really matter. It handles off piste nearly as well. Personally, I prefer the Enforcer 100 because I feel it has more off-piste chops without sacrificing groomer performance.

All that said, take a look at the new Bonafide. The new tip and tighter turn radius may be what you're looking for.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Had a chance to take out the enforcer 93 193 today at PCMR. Conditions were very spring-like.

Initially I was a bit thrown by the 193 length. My first run was on a still frozen trail and I thought the tips chattered all over and I began to wonder if the 193 was too long. However, once I got up into Jupiter and the main face had softened, I loved the stability coming down the steep pitches. I didn't get to try it in enough trees or on bigger, harder bumps but the few I did the results were mixed. I managed just fine but, aside from me getting a little better in my ability, wondered if the 185 wouldn't have been more useful in those situations.

The real answer is I have to try myself but the consensus is that even for a bigger guy like me at 6'3, 215, the 185 holds up just fine.

Can someone comment on the length issue and if you think I will sacrifice too much stability and float for maneuverability?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll be just fine on the 185. I can't pinpoint why, but the 193 in the Enforcer 100 and 93 doesn't have the same fun, comfortable feel the 185 has.