• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me replace my Volkl Gotamas

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
Like the title says, I'm still skiing my 2008 Volkl Gotamas (the one with the Buddha sticker). It's been 10 years and I think I'm due for an update. I just started my research and I'd like to get some suggestions so that I can narrow my focus.

A little about me and where I ski... I'm 5' 11", 185lbs, type III skier. I consider myself an aggressive skier, although I realize that that's subjective. I consider Sugarbowl my "home" mountain, although I'll spend time at Northstar and Squaw. At Sugarbowl, I spend most of the time on Disney, Crow's, and Summit chair.

I'm looking for a one-quiver ski that I can use for the conditions we get in Tahoe. I like my Gotamas and am looking for similar characteristics: versatile, good in most conditions, light weight, soft snow bias.

What skis should I consider?

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went from a Gotama to a Shiro......seemless transition. Find an old Shiro....or go for the 100eight or Confession....(I have skied them all and loved all of them). I am currently on a 191 Katana that absolutely rips......in all conditions....

All of these have the rocker playfulness, but with a 1/3 tune have the grip to make groomers fun as well. (IMHO...the definition of skiing a Volkl)

I ski most EC days at Elk, Hunter...Catskills....or VT/Killington..... but take a couple West trips a year to feed my phatties soft snow appetite. (I’ll be in Wyoming next week)

Other suggestions besides Volkl:

-Nordica Enforcer 110
-Blizzard Rustler 10

Last edited:
TS
S

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm seeing a bunch of headlines about skis that are 90-100 underfoot... Volkl 90Eight, Head Kore 93/99, etc. Interested in hearing any opinions on the category and how it's similar/different to the 105. I don't remember there being so many options 10 years ago! Is it just splitting hairs, subtle difference or is there a real difference?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Last Tahoe trip only ski I brought were my Katana V-works 112. Would be my choice for a daily driver. That ski was built to live at Squaw.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What size are you skiing the Gotama in, a 178 or 186? Skis that come to mind if you want to say in that One-Oh-Something range and a charger and if you are looking for that spiritual replacement for the Gotama...
  • Blizzard Cochise
  • Kastle BMX105HP
  • Völkl 100Eight
  • Head Kore 105

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I'm seeing a bunch of headlines about skis that are 90-100 underfoot... Volkl 90Eight, Head Kore 93/99, etc. Interested in hearing any opinions on the category and how it's similar/different to the 105. I don't remember there being so many options 10 years ago! Is it just splitting hairs, subtle difference or is there a real difference?
If I was to have a ONE ski quiver for Tahoe, I would be in the 90-100mm range. With that said, I like...
  • Atomic Vantage 97
  • Blizzard Bonafide
  • 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti
  • Renoun Endurance 98
  • Rossignol Experience 94Ti
As far as the differences, they are all good..nuances and it is just a matter of getting on one and adjusting accordingly.

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier
As fellow Sugarbowler I've been skiing the Nordica Enforcer 100 and this past week I skied about 6" powder on Monday, crud and wind buff on Tuesday and frozen groomers on Thursday. They handled everything really well. My son really likes his Volkl 108's. lots of good suggestions and you might consider renting some demos at the village shop as I know they have Enforcers, Kastles and I think they have volkl's too.

TS
S

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
What size are you skiing the Gotama in, a 178 or 186?

The Gotamas are 183. In addition to the Gotama, I also have Head Monster M72 @ 177 and some Salomon 1080 mogul skis. I use the Monsters for hard snow and rarely use the bump skis (I'm getting old and my knees aren't what they used to be).

Recently, I've been getting lazy and have been using the Gotamas exclusively.

As fellow Sugarbowler I've been skiing the Nordica Enforcer 100 and this past week I skied about 6" powder on Monday, crud and wind buff on Tuesday and frozen groomers on Thursday. They handled everything really well. My son really likes his Volkl 108's. lots of good suggestions and you might consider renting some demos at the village shop as I know they have Enforcers, Kastles and I think they have volkl's too.

Looks like Tahoe Dave's has most of the skis recommended in this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I have a lot of research to do this weekend to narrow the field before I start demoing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Gotamas are 183. In addition to the Gotama, I also have Head Monster M72 @ 177 and some Salomon 1080 mogul skis. I use the Monsters for hard snow and rarely use the bump skis (I'm getting old and my knees aren't what they used to be).

Looks like Tahoe Dave's has most of the skis recommended in this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I have a lot of research to do this weekend to narrow the field before I start demoing.
If you are out and about today. I happen to be at BlueZone and could walk you through some options.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
That's going to be a tough shoe to fill! IMO the gotama and mantra from the late 2000s were skis that really changed the game. The dampness, turn radius, and width (at the time) were groundbreaking. I feel like the first few gotamas I was on had something like a 29/30 radius in the 191

I like phils suggestions for the 100+ range and now knowing you have a skinner choice in the quiver I personally would stick in that 100+ range. The kore 105 is going to have a lot of the things you are looking for except turn radius. The 100eight is also going to have a lot of thing to check off the list but IMO it's super ugly ski.

One thing that has really changed in the past 10 years or so are the specs on skis. Turn radius, camber contact/rocker style, and mount points are a lot different so you kind of decide a style of ride.

If I had to pick a ski for a one off here I Tahoe it would probably be the on3p kartel 108 in a 191(comes 186 also). I ski mostly trees and beat up chop so stability and long radius are important to me personally. Kind of in the middle of traditional mount point and ski center so skis a bunch of different turn shapes with the amount of rocker. In longer lengths it has enough camber contact to lay down on everything but super crusty groomers. I would probably it a demo binding on it also to make it more versatile

Some other skis that I would fit into the same bracket for daily driver. Although a few are to short for me personally they would be right in your range. A few also have shorter radius (18-19 or so) but that is a decision you will deem important in the big picture

4frnt msp 107
J the metal
Praxis mvp

Black crows Corvus

Slant diplomat or even maybe blaze-you can demo these right from their factory on river road. Bamboo core.

Icelantic pioneer 109- this one really interests me. They have it for demo at willards but in the 183? Not the 190.

Lots of other stuff mentioned here already..

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier

The nice thing about demoing at the resort is you can demo multiple number of skis on the same day. I'd check out what they have to offer.

MJA

Booting up
Skier
See my thread below... I ultimately bought the volkl 100eight largely at the recommendation of this forum, and I’m smitten. Had another awesome day today on them at snowbird. FYI they aren’t the only ski in my quiver, although they are super versatile for a 108mm. I’m 5’9” 150 and the 181 is great.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/recommendation-100-110mm.9405/

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I used to have and love that very ski. Right now the ski I use to fill that slot is the Fischer Ranger 102FR. Another ski that I think comes close is the Kastle FX104. Check out the pair that @givethepigeye is selling.

Sponsor

Staff online