• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Going to CO with a buddy (intermediate snowboarder) late March, will be arriving around 9am at DIA on a Saturday, and leaving late the following Thursday. We will be staying in Silverthorne and will have an AWD rental car.

Since we both have Epic pass and he's never been to Colorado, I was thinking about doing a different area each day, but am open to suggestions. On top of that, I'd really love some help on the best skiing/tree skiing at each area. I was recently at Park City/Canyons and PUGSki member recommendations really helped me find the best off-piste and not waste time searching for myself.

My buddy and I usually split up for at least half a day so I can get some time off-piste, so not super concerned with how snowboarder friendly an area is.

It's also possible that we could split AM/PM at different areas if there's reason enough to warrant that.

If you were taking this trip...what would you do?

Saturday PM (assuming decent drive time):
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday AM (assuming decent drive time):

Thanks very much for taking the time to help a brother out!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
At Breck, anything above treeline is exciting. For trees, I favor low angle on Peak 6 (Delerium area and Wonderland which is actually steeper) and 7 (Claimjumper area) but also steeper stuff in and around Inferno, Devil's Crotch, Mineshaft and the Doors. I haven't been getting to The Burn or the south side on Peak 10 lately due to my preference for the northern peaks.

I am happy to guide on Breck for a while if my schedule works out.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have only been to Breck and Vail among the Epic areas, but here's a possible answer :

Saturday PM (assuming decent drive time): Keystone, with perhaps night skiing
Sunday: Breck
Monday: Vail
Tuesday: Vail
Wednesday: A-Basin
Thursday AM (assuming decent drive time): Loveland, closer to Denver and not too expensive even though not Epic

Beaver Creek is too far. And depending on weather, the drive over Vail Pass can be a bit rough. And the main places are so big you could easily spend several days at each and not get bored. Way too many choices!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree on the upper terrain at Breck - T-bar, Chair 6, Imperial. Don't miss it if the weather is clear. Keystone never gets much love from the locals, but has great trees and gladed bump runs on the Outback. And A-Basin is a given for at least one day, especially with the addition of the new terrain in the Beavers.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beaver Creek is too far? It's 10 minutes past Vail. But definitely be prepared to swap days around depending on roads and conditions.

Saturday PM (assuming decent drive time): Keystone, with perhaps night skiing
Sunday: Beaver Creek (less crowding )
Monday: Breck
Tuesday: Vail
Wednesday: Breck or Abasin
Thursday: Abasin - on the way out of town, take your stuff with you.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Going to CO with a buddy (intermediate snowboarder) late March, will be arriving around 9am at DIA on a Saturday, and leaving late the following Thursday. We will be staying in Silverthorne and will have an AWD rental car.

Since we both have Epic pass and he's never been to Colorado, I was thinking about doing a different area each day, but am open to suggestions. On top of that, I'd really love some help on the best skiing/tree skiing at each area. I was recently at Park City/Canyons and PUGSki member recommendations really helped me find the best off-piste and not waste time searching for myself.

My buddy and I usually split up for at least half a day so I can get some time off-piste, so not super concerned with how snowboarder friendly an area is.

It's also possible that we could split AM/PM at different areas if there's reason enough to warrant that.

If you were taking this trip...what would you do?

Saturday PM (assuming decent drive time):
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday AM (assuming decent drive time):

Thanks very much for taking the time to help a brother out!

It really would depend on the Weather/Snow conditions during those days.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
For trees, I favor low angle on Peak 6 (Delerium area and Wonderland which is actually steeper) and 7 (Claimjumper area) but also steeper stuff in and around Inferno, Devil's Crotch, Mineshaft and the Doors.

For single black Breck tree runs, also add Wanderlust and Ore Bucket, both skier's left off Peak 7's Independence chair. Wanderlust takes you to the Kensho chair on Peak 6; and Ore Bucket dumps you back onto Peak 7 groomers.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Thanks guys, keep it coming! I will def check in on the Thurs/Fri beforehand to see if forecast changes anyone's thoughts. I'm worried 1 day at Breck wont be enough so leaning toward two days there. Though if you could only have 2 days at a single resort during my stay, would you do Vail or Breck?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You don't need to lock it in so soon. Do one of each then decide which you would like to explore more. If you think 1 day at Breck isn't enough, 1 day at the vail mothership certainly isn't enough either.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks guys, keep it coming! I will def check in on the Thurs/Fri beforehand to see if forecast changes anyone's thoughts. I'm worried 1 day at Breck wont be enough so leaning toward two days there. Though if you could only have 2 days at a single resort during my stay, would you do Vail or Breck?

You don't need to lock it in so soon. Do one of each then decide which you would like to explore more. If you think 1 day at Breck isn't enough, 1 day at the vail mothership certainly isn't enough either.

There is a lot more exciting and interesting terrain at Breck than Vail on any given day. Unless it is a powder day, then all bets are off.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I’d do Vail 2 days hands down and Breck for 1, but I’d do both mid-week. Also, I know you want to use your Epic Pass and I do the same when I travel out. That said, we always ski Loveland on the way out I70. It’s relatively inexpensive and we can in snow there much quicker than AB or Keystone. We try to land by 9am in Denver and usually can stop in Idaho Falls, grab a bite, change into our ski stuff and hit Loveland from noon to 4. We wrap up and head to Vail where we usually stay. I know you said you thought Beaver Creek was too far, but I’d hit there Sunday. The 15 minute extra drive past Vail would be vastly made up by the lack of crowds and time spent in a lift line at the other resorts, plus it is a great mountain. For the other days I’d ski the Epic resort with the best conditions.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
I’d do Vail 2 days hands down and Breck for 1, but I’d do both mid-week. Also, I know you want to use your Epic Pass and I do the same when I travel out. That said, we always ski Loveland on the way out I70. It’s relatively inexpensive and we can in snow there much quicker than AB or Keystone. We try to land by 9am in Denver and usually can stop in Idaho Falls, grab a bite, change into our ski stuff and hit Loveland from noon to 4. We wrap up and head to Vail where we usually stay. I know you said you thought Beaver Creek was too far, but I’d hit there Sunday. The 15 minute extra drive past Vail would be vastly made up by the lack of crowds and time spent in a lift line at the other resorts, plus it is a great mountain. For the other days I’d ski the Epic resort with the best conditions.

Thanks. Def not opposed to purchasing a separate pass if it's worth it. I've skied all of the areas, but really only copper recently enough to remember it. It's been 10+ years for most of them.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, don't neglect the change in elevation. Your first day may get busted to deal with altitude acclimatization.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Loveland lift ticket is only $79, $62 for a half-day, so not much extra to what you paid for Epic.

If snow is fresh, get up on the ridge for some laps.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Def not opposed to purchasing a separate pass if it's worth it. I've skied all of the areas, but really only copper recently enough to remember it. It's been 10+ years for most of them.

We think Loveland it’s definitely worth it. Cheap lifts, usually great snow, super terrain and you can get on the snow quickly from the Denver area. A half day there in altitude also give us a jump on the rest of the trip by exposing us to it before we start skiing full days in Eagle & Summit Counties for the next 7-10 days. Our last skiing day we usually do Keystone if the conditions are good. We leave Vail early, get to Keystone when the lifts start and ski until late afternoon then head to Denver to catch a late flight back east.

Good luck and have fun on your trip. The good news is no matter where you ski in either county you will likely have comparable conditions and great terrain. Other than things being a little crowded on some days (which you can avoid with a good strategy) I have never had a bad day skiing in the Eagle or Summit Co. mountains.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's your trip. You gotta make the calls and take ownership of it.
If uncertain and you are flexible, and you think you need to optimized by forecast, it's pretty simple how to make that decision.
If you can't decide between a few options, you then just check the snowreport in the morning and go to the resort that reports the most snow.

Like I said above, don't feel you need to lock everything in so tight. Just wait until it's gametime and then make the call.

Sponsor

Staff online