• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick Please.

Which Resort

• Whitefish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keystone Long Weekend

• Telluride, Co

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Snowmass, Co

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Taos, NM

• Mammoth, Ca

• Crested Butte

• Park City, Utah

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Big Sky Montana

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
The landslide poll results for Park City, Telluride, and Snowmass are pretty accurate. Based on your wish list, those are the clear contenders IMO. I've only been to PC and Snowmass, so I'll chime in with a direct comparison of those two.

Park City is definitely one of the best ski towns in North America. Compared to Aspen/Snowmass, it's a little more down to earth but also a little more touristy. Lots of cool breweries, distilleries, restaurants, and you're close to some non-skiing tours and other things to do. Being walkable in town will probably be more affordable at PC.

Snowmass is really split into two towns. Snowmass Village and Aspen, which is a 15-20 minute drive or bus ride from Snowmass Village. Aspen is Aspen... fine dining, fur coats, glitz and glamour. Snowmass is a little more down to earth, but it's a new development, so you won't get that "authentic" ski town vibe and instead lots of new, clean construction in the mountains.

Strictly for nonskiers, I think Park City has the edge unless you're willing to spend a ton of money in Aspen. For the skiing, Snowmass by a mile, IMO. Snowmass is some of my favorite skiing anywhere, but Park City is one of my least favorites.

I'll leave Telluride to the experts who have been there. From what I hear, it's more of an authentic ski town with unmatched views and mountain town feel. Compared to PC or Snowmass, it would probably appeal to a nonskier who is more into nature versus shopping and dining.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a reason to have to go with the group noted above? My number 1 suggestion for a trip with a non-skier is Banff.

I hope to make that trip this April with my family.
I wouldn't count on Canada opening it's borders to tourists from the US. There has been talk of keeping it closed for up to a year.

TS
Roger

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Thank you so much everyone for the replies....so talked to my family about things and we have decided to go to Snowmass.....reason why I was able to get a condo at a very reasonable price at the end of January. Its going to cost $1499 each for airfare and resort included with a few dinners. Park City was right there for me but what pushed me away from PC was it was $300 more which I know that isnt much but x 4 is $1200 and also it being Spring Break and being March which I know sometimes can bring the best weather but I don't want my family dealing with Spring Break and seeing potentially long lines and being throw off by it.

As far as Snowmass is there much to do or do we have to go to Aspen? I am trying to learn more about it but if anyone can let me know what to expect. Anything as must see's or dos off the mountain.

Thanks everyone.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There isn't much in Snowmass - a couple of boutiques and some restaurants. There are 2 areas - one at the base and also one mid mountain which is the main village. Depending on where you are staying on mountain, you MIL (?) may want to use the shuttle in one direction because the road is steep in sections and can be challenging at altitude. She can also easily take the shuttle to Aspen to occupy her time and all of you can take the shuttle to the other ski mountains as well - Buttermilk is really good for any beginner/intermediate skiers and Highland is great for intermediates and also experts looking for more extreme territory. If she wanted to meet you all for lunch, she could shuttle and meet you at any of the base areas at the mountains and at Snowmass base or mid mountain village.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Great choice! Snowmass is exceptional. I’m unsure about the non-ski options because I’ve always stayed in Aspen but FWIW the 4 Mountain Connector (aka the free shuttle bus) connecting Snowmass to the other Aspen area resorts is the gold-standard for convenient and user-friendly mountain public transportation. Once in Apsen, an electric shuttle, the Downtowner, can be used free of charge to move around the city (it’s basically like a free Uber app for the city of Aspen). The cafe in the Aspen Art Museum is a nice vantage point to enjoy food & wine while watching skiers descend Aspen Mtn. The Wheeler Stallard Museum run by the Aspen Historical Society is small but charming.
P.S. Great photos of Jackson Hole. That photo of you and teeth-chattering Scott is priceless!

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Aspen is the iconic North American mountain and it is one of the least crowded of all the major US resorts.

As @Après Skier has said, the Aspen bus system is world class, and so is the resort.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I wouldn't count on Canada opening it's borders to tourists from the US. There has been talk of keeping it closed for up to a year.

Yeah. That's a good call. Maybe that'll be a future trip for them. For us Canucks, there could be some pretty sweet deals this winter to ski on our side of the border if the international tourists aren't allowed to come.

Sponsor

Staff online