• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help Me pick again :)

Roger

Booting up
Skier
So I made a post on here a couple of days ago asking about going to Banff during New Years and from what was written it doesn't sound too promising for condition wise and sounds like it would be freezing and I enjoy the Out West Sunshine.

So about me. Im 38 Single guy (25 at heart) so always looking for somewhere that has quality nightlife and things to do not just a place with a couple of bars. You guys have been amazing with me throughout the years always helping me pick a place the last few years

So was just curious out of this list what you all thought would be my best bet. These are my options with my ski club.

My last few years : Park City, Breckenridge, Whistler Ca, Heavenly Tahoe

BTW My first Ski Trip around 7 years ago was to Tahoe and I keep reading how it has amazing nightlife and honestly maybe cause I was on my own I just almost stayed to myself and my room and went to a couple of places Mont Bleu and I don't gamble so maybe try again not sure or was I right with my first time there with it being rather limited with things to do.

DECEMBER SKI TRIPS

12/14/19 to 12/21/19 Vail, CO

12/27/19 to 1/3/20 Banff, Canada

JANUARY SKI TRIPS

1/11/20 to 1/18/20 Steamboat, CO

1/18/20 to 1/25/20 Snowmass, CO

1/23/20 to 1/28/20 Winter Park, CO Long weekend trip!

1/27/20 to 2/2/20 Deer Valley, CO

FEBRUARY SKI TRIPS

2/1/20 to 2/8/20 Telluride, CO

2/7/20 to 2/14/20 Schweitzer, ID

2/15/20 to 2/22/20 Lake Tahoe, CA

2/21/20 to 2/28/20 Whitefish, MT

2/28/20 to 3/3/20 Beaver Creek, CO Long weekend ski trip.

2/29/20 to 3/7/20 Beaver Creek, CO

MARCH SKI TRIPS

3/7/20 to 3/14/20 Jackson Hole, WY

3/13/20 to 3/23/20 Zermatt, Switzerland

3/14/20 to 3/21/20 Big Sky, MT Spring Break

3/21/20 to 3/28/20 Mt Bachelor, OR

3/28/20 to 4/4/20 Revelstoke/ Kicking Horse, Canada

APRIL SKI TRIPS

4/2/20 to 4/7/20 Vail , CO

Last edited:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Need a little more info about you as a skier and what places you have liked best in the past and why.

What a plethora of awesome places to choose from! My favorites would be Telluride, Snowmass, Jackson Hole, and Beaver Creek (probably in that order). Whitefish is on my bucket list (as is Zermatt). I'm not a huge fan of Winter Park and Deer Valley. Mt. Bachelor is nice, but Bend is where the nightlife is and that's a bit of a hike away.

TS
Roger

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Need a little more info about you as a skier and what places you have liked best in the past and why.

What a plethora of awesome places to choose from! My favorites would be Telluride, Snowmass, Jackson Hole, and Beaver Creek (probably in that order). Whitefish is on my bucket list (as is Zermatt). I'm not a huge fan of Winter Park and Deer Valley. Mt. Bachelor is nice, but Bend is where the nightlife is and that's a bit of a hike away.

Average Skier I stay away from the blacks cause of my own fear lol but I can do Blues with ease. But I look for ski trips that tends to be a lot more than just skiing.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Average skier...better stay away from Jackson Hole then. Telluride and Snowmass fit the bill perfectly with Telluride and Aspen being my favorite ski towns anywhere...even better than Park City, in my opinion.

How did you like Park City, Breckenridge, and Whistler?

TS
Roger

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Average skier...better stay away from Jackson Hole then. Telluride and Snowmass fit the bill perfectly with Telluride and Aspen being my favorite ski towns anywhere...even better than Park City, in my opinion.

How did you like Park City, Breckenridge, and Whistler?

Honestly Loved all 3. Loved Park City there was enough to do in the small town but had some really fun bars, Loved Breck been there twice and always somethign happening downtown and Whistler was great too went there solo and on the first day ran into my ex girlfriend who ended up staying with me the whole week lol soooo there went my crazy partying for the week.

Oh and the skiing... was great at all 3 also. Park City didn't have so much the year I went but was still fine for my 2nd ever ski trip but got to do Deer Valley, Canyons and Park City. One thing with Whistler with it being close to the coast it rained a lot and they shut down a lot of the mountain when I was there but still was plenty to do.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Average Skier I stay away from the blacks cause of my own fear lol but I can do Blues with ease. But I look for ski trips that tends to be a lot more than just skiing.

I did Bachelor this Spring. Lovely. Bachelor has lots of groomed runs. I like offpiste but my son was on the wrong skis and not up to that. So I spent lots of time on (groomed or bumped) runs with him, and there is a lot of that sort to do.

Bend is a really fun little town, 30 minutes away, average. I am not sure about night life. I am about a decade older than you, and 95 in spirit, :roflmao:. People in Bend are simply wonderful. Lots of breweries. Lots of outdoors besides skiing. The mountain is not very steep. Zero egos btw among the skiers. Super down to earth. But it's a giant volcano so lots to explore, even in "runs".

This could be an interesting trip. But more about skiing bell to bell and then après in town, early dinner, maybe hit a tasting room, stuff like that.

Oh. We did hit a lot of fog. Not sure how frequent that is. But it was a very unusual spring.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our tastes couldn't be more different (I'm really just there to ski, nightlife typically means cooking & cribbage in the camper and dropping by a brewery). Schweitzer's definitely the quietest town on your list. Probably Revelstoke, Whitefish, and Bachelor too. Wildest stuff you'll see out there is live music.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, the thing about Schweitzer is that while Sandpoint is a smaller, quieter kind of place, it actually makes it easier to figure out where to go. There are some cool restaurants in town. I’m with @Analisa though, I like quieter places that are less trendy and less pricy and crowded. But with good skiing.

If you’re 38 going on 25, I’m thinking Park City again. Also Jackson, while it has a reputation for gnarly terrain, there is plenty of intermediate and not-too-puckers advanced terrain to keep you busy. Maybe you could time it with the Gathering, which will be sometime late February/early March.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
You know, the thing about Schweitzer is that while Sandpoint is a smaller, quieter kind of place, it actually makes it easier to figure out where to go. There are some cool restaurants in town. I’m with @Analisa though, I like quieter places that are less trendy and less pricy and crowded. But with good skiing.

If you’re 38 going on 25, I’m thinking Park City again. Also Jackson, while it has a reputation for gnarly terrain, there is plenty of intermediate and not-too-puckers advanced terrain to keep you busy. Maybe you could time it with the Gathering, which will be sometime late February/early March.

I'll second the opinion that Jackson gets pigeon holed as an 'experts' mountain too often. The whole (lookers) right side of the mountain is great for intermediates. I think Snowbird is fine for intermediates too but it gets the same reputation as Jackson.

The OP has a great list of choices for his getaway. Zermatt is a bucket list destination and there is good night life there. Telluride would be a great option. As would Steamboat. First world problem right there.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
2/21/20 to 2/28/20 Whitefish, MT
Based on the last five or six seasons here, this is the best week to go, hands down. Good old Facebook is always popping up my comments from prior years for this week and it's been "best ski day of my life", etc. every year. As for nightlife, we've got two breweries in town and a distillery. Some classic ski town bars, like the 'Stube and Great Northern. There are snowmobile and dogsledding trips (I've done neither).

Although there's some terrain to make you pucker like Picture Chutes and NBC, for the most part there's blue cruisers and tree skiing.

What there is not, is sunshine. Especially the week you're talking about. There's snow, and more snow. Because this is skiing.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Schweitzer's definitely the quietest town on your list. Probably Revelstoke, Whitefish, and Bachelor too. Wildest stuff you'll see out there is live music.

Actually, I think Casey's still occasionally has amateur pole dancing. I could be wrong, but they still did even after the new building went up.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Christmas is a crap shoot for snow.

I’m a big fan of the San Juan tour vacation. Between Durango, Silverton, wolf Creek and Telluride you’ve got a killer trip. There’s snowcat skiing in Durango/Silverton and there’s a heli op in telluride if you want that sort of thing. The towns are classic and the San Juan’s are among the most beautiful mountains in the lower 48. Fly into montrose and rent a capable car and spend a couple of days at each.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
DECEMBER SKI TRIPS

12/14/19 to 12/21/19 Vail, CO

12/27/19 to 1/3/20 Banff, Canada

Vail is usually VERY quiet during those dates, even boring. Kinda the calm before the Holiday Mayhem. Snow is so so and Terrain is usually limited unless its a stellar early season year.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm definitely with you enjoying warm Western sunshine, but of course you're not going to get sunshine guarantees planning this far ahead. Best odds for sunshine are probably that Telluride trip in February or Vail in April. Either town should give you what you're looking for in nightlife, and the skiing should be great on the runs that interest you. Telluride's got better scenery and more charm, and if you can make an 8-day trip work that sounds like a great opportunity to check it out.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm more of the quiet vacation type with good skiing being the priority. My ski club uses nightlife as a driving factor for trips because they like that mix. If a resort area doesn't have much nightlife then that's a point they take into account before they decide to go there. As long as there is a bar or two or three and a couple good restaurant choices that works for me. Places I've been that I liked were Mammoth and Banff. Shuttle systems are nice to get you around in case weather is bad. I really, really, really like downtown Banff. I've been there as early as mid January and had a great time at both Lake Louise and Sunshine Village. Sunshine Village was puking snow as usual and the narrow hard pack grabber skis came out at Louise but that's normal. They have a good mix of restaurants and bars up and down Banff avenue and the other side streets nearby. Hotels have the shuttle to get you to/from the mountains. We've also driven with a friend who lives locally and parking is a non issue. One trip they went on a few years ago that I'm so hoping they repeat is Bend, Oregon. I don't remember the logistics but they skied at Bend but arranged brewery tours, etc in town and/or in Portland. I didn't go due to timing but the trip sounded great. I can't speak to Bend and how good the skiing is but the whole trip just sounded fun.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jackson is a fun town with live music, swing dancing and reasonable prices for food and drink and lodging. But move it into January or early February. It tends to get warm during the day ad cod and night in March which sets up icy and then slushy conditions - especially on the parts of the mountain you would be skiing.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, I think Casey's still occasionally has amateur pole dancing. I could be wrong, but they still did even after the new building went up.

Great! I can practice my moves......gotta stay in shape.

Sponsor