• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a new Helmet

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Inputs:
59.055 cm noggin (tweener in most size charts?)
Smith I/OX goggles (not changing here, all in, several lenses)
I like a lot of ventilation, starting some skinning/BC this year and get into boot packs pretty much every trip

I know we are all in on Giro around here but have had good luck with Smith helmets over the years, bike and snow. Need to retire my 10+ yo Smith helmet that has had a few knocks and dings.

Looking at the Smith Quantum & Vantage
No idea on Giro, sell me!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I heard our Smith rep give his spiel last night. He prefers the Vantage over the Quantum personally. I get the impression that the additional plastic on the Quantum was negligible as an “improvement.”

I realize this doesn’t actually address your question. Maybe the Giro rep will be there tonight? For what it’s worth.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I am not sure what Smith's base shape is? Some brands have more round shapes, others have more oval shapes. I myself have an oval-shaped head. POC, Uvex, and Salomon fit me well; Scott, Giro fit less well (pressure on forehead, room at the temples).
If Smith is more like Salomon in that sense, I can highly recommend the Salomon Ranger Custom Air from last season. I think the new equivalent is the Pioneer. It has great ventilation (I'm a hothead myself, literally), and I prefer Custom Air over a BOA system...

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Best bet is to try them on with your goggles for both head fit and goggle fit. Even within brands, you'll find some more comfortable than others. Last helmet purchase for my youngest, I got several on Sierra for relaxed at home try ons and the winner was Quantum. After they made their choice I tried on the favourite and the runner up (Vantage) hoping to sway them towards the slightly less expensive one, but also found the Quantum comfier.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Impossible.

You need to try them for yourself.

Numbers on head circumference tell you nothing.

Sweet Protection are great helmets but they are killing me in the temples after an hour.

At the same time my buddy loves them.

Different head shape.

Only you can know what is best for you.

If you are happy with Smith, well then Smith. Or POC,.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Non answer here.

I almost always take my helmet off for boot packing or for skinning. I carry a hat and a head band.
Uh . . . well, duh. I'm a n00b to this so, yeah, um, didn't think of that.
Impossible.

You need to try them for yourself.

Numbers on head circumference tell you nothing.

Sweet Protection are great helmets but they are killing me in the temples after an hour.

At the same time my buddy loves them.

Different head shape.

Only you can know what is best for you.

If you are happy with Smith, well then Smith. Or POC,.
Great points - I'll see if my local shops have anything in stock - not sure I want to wait till first trip in Feb - may not be much there, I was more in the order online thought mode. But, you are right, try on is critical (and how I got my last Smith bike helmet, tried a few in the shop).

Appreciate the other feedback here - brands I didn't even know existed. Those probably much harder to try on in person, seriously doubt we have them around these parts.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only safety feature difference you look out for is MIPS. [Koroyd is not proven to be better than regular foam vs just trading the results in some types of crashes for another]

So just need to try on a few from your short list that has all the comfort features you want; then pick the one that fits the best/most comfortable.

If you don't have local, you can also buy online from outdoors gear retailers that may have a goat or a moose in their logo that carry more options. Don't be afraid of non-free return policy like $10 return shipping; even though you know you may return ALL of them; $10 is a fair price to try on things you don't have local.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't be afraid of non-free return policy like $10 return shipping; even though you know you may return ALL of them; $10 is a fair price to try on things you don't have local.
To be honest, I would probably be better off paying Sierra's $6.95 return fee. I can't seem to go to one of the stores with a return and walk out without buying something else.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two more things I thought of:
  • For sizing, if you truly were on the fence on sizing, they may not have changed the shell sizing when they they have a MIPS option. So the MIPS layer takes up a couple mm of space and may push you to be more comfortable in the larger size vs. the sizing on your current non-MIPS helmet

• As we enter Nov, watch out for Black Friday sale for better pricing. Although your best pricing probably was over sping/summer for last season stuff. Helmets is same as other gear and could be had up to ~50% off when on sale. Don't pay MSRP. At worst, you can email the Manufacturer Customer service with an upgrade or helmet story; and they'll likely throw you a coupon to buy direct from manufacturer store.

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
You have good sizing feedback already. Especially when it comes to sizing up against your goggles. In addition, try on your ski jacket and wear the hood over the helmet and then turn left and right to see if the helmet is too high a profile for your jacket.

I would not go cheap. Think of your helmet as a rider/addition to your disability insurance premiums. It's a cheap addition even at $200+.

I have used Giro, Pret, and Sweet Protection. I liked them all but they're fit specific. Pret was the lightest, lowest profile, but weakest safety level. I crashed it and I was fine, but it was done. My SP was highest safety, but so heavy and big. I crashed last year twice. No visable marks, but I decided to replace it given the disability insurance concept.

I tested the Giro Range and Smith Vantage. Both are fine, but I like the Giro a bit better. It has a low profile and fits my goggles perfectly too (Anon M3, Oakley Flight Decks, and Giro Contours).

If you appreciate helmets like a disability insurance premium, you will find way more options. I would spend up. But definitely try them on. Consider using Steep and cheap since they have $7 return shipping.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Find what fits best and buy it. I have a Smith with MIPS and with the BOLO system, fits as close to perfect as I could hope for. Mine has vent controls for the front and the back part of the helmet. Very handy. When I replace, I will only purchase a helmet that has controls for the front and back. Huge difference in comfort on the mountain.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I would not go cheap. Think of your helmet as a rider/addition to your disability insurance premiums. It's a cheap addition even at $200+.
So extra money gets extra safety? I understand that about MIPS, but if both helmets have MIPS the more expensive is safer? I did not know that.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
So extra money gets extra safety? I understand that about MIPS, but if both helmets have MIPS the more expensive is safer? I did not know that.
I'm being "relative" to the insurance premium, not the helmet price. I don't know that the helmet price spreads matter materially if MIPS are in place. Not sure, rather I'd argue the price of a helmet v. a disability premium is insignificant relatively speaking.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
see my post above and in the other thread in.
you do not get more safety/protection because 1 snowsports helmet in a product line has a higher price.
if you want more protection you put on a hardears or fullface race helmet or a motorcross or motorcycle helmet. That is how you get more protection.

One is also overfocused on the helmet as your safety talisman. if you are really down this logic path for evaluating protection, i expect you to also be rocking spine protection first (which is required for some big mtn programs/camps) then putting on all other body protection gear, before looping back to higher protection helmet.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decreed, heads come in round, oval, long oval, delta, some even seem to have rounded corners or flat on top. You need a helmet where the designer has a head shaped like yours. You need to try them on both for the fit on your head and the fit with your goggles. Correct fit is more important for safety than for comfort, and comfort is very important. You want the expanded polystyrene liner, or equivalent material, to be lightly snug against your skull at all points. When that snowboarder slams you into a tree, you don't want the helmet to stop before your head stops--you want them to stop at the same time. (This happened to a friend. She got concussed and broke the helmet, but she's fine now.)

A higher price beyond MIPS may give more comfort, more warmth, handier buckle on the strap, and better ventilation. Check all the features. Also consider a bright color. Anything that may help some runaway uphill from you spot you and swerve before he hits you is good.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK verdict is in. Local ski shop came through. Measured my noggin, I'm a 58 & change - putting me squarely in tweener size.

Tried Giro Grid, Smith Quantum and Sweet Protection Switcher (I think).

Giro was close but a tad loose in the L. Medium no-go.
Smith L - cranked down the boa completely tight and it would have worked
Smith M - boa all the way loose - nice firm, snug fit - no slop - comfortable.
Sweet Protection - really liked this Helmet, unfortunately squeezed me tightly at the temples - no go, headache factory. Otherwise fit was great.

So, walked out w/ Smith Quantum MIPS in M. Interestingly enough (or not) replacing a 10 yr old Smith whatever that I think was a L.

Sponsor

Staff online