• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in 2020, so we’ve decided it’s going to be year of vacations for the two of us. No more dragging the 3 young adults along as they suck more resouces than a whirlpool in Lake Peigneur (look it up if you don’t know about it) Anyways, Kim doesn’t ski, but she’s willing to tag along for a week. But I do want her to have fun while she’s hanging around, waiting for me to get down from the slopes. She enjoyed Vail a few years ago, and would also be fine in another resort town.

I prefer to ski the larger mountains. I can ski the steep stuff, but prefer to stay off the moguls. If it’s been groomed in the last few days, I’ll have fun on it.

I’ve skied Vail, Beaver Creek, Whistler, Solitude, Park City, and have enjoyed them all. Kim was only with me in Vail.

Any suggestions as to a resort that has plenty for her to do during the day and then good restaurants. I’d prefer to stay with either the Epic or the Ikon pass as I’ll likely take a “guys’ trip next year as well. We’d be flying out of Atlanta, so everywhere we go is a bit of a haul.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Will she have a car to drive during the day whilst you are skiing, or will she be "stuck" at the resort?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Look into Banff. I have a non-skiing wife (she was a fair weather skier for 30+ yrs before "retiring" from skiing about ten years ago) and we've traveled extensively together in winter. We did Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay last year in March and she enjoyed that area more than just about any other ski destination. There was the hot springs, interesting and unpretentious town, hiking in Johnston Canyon to frozen waterfalls, snowshoeing from the top of the Standish Chairlift (el 7875') at Sunshine, fairly cheap dining everywhere about 25% less compared to US, high tea at Chateau Lake Louise.

Johnston Canyon
johnston canyon.jpg Sunshine snowshoeing
sunshine snowshoe.jpg Chateau Lake Louise Fairmont Hotel
banff fairmont.png
Dining at Sunshine Mountain Lodge, staying here for three days was the lodging highlight of our trip, although we had a good stays for a couple nights each in Banff and Canmore. sunshine dinner.png
Town of Banff
5ab460302566f_CopyofDSCN1380.JPG.3e21e9c8e91f67ddc298ead2fe6e1863.jpg
Banff Hot Springs
banff hot springs pool.jpg

For you, the skiing isn't bad either :)
Sunshine
sunshine vince view.jpg
Louise
louise dan bowl.png
Norquay

norquay patrol.png

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I second Jim Kenney's Banff suggestion, above.

I once shared a gondola ride at Lake Louise with a lady who couldn't stop raving about her spa day the previous day in Banff.

Caution: Do not vacation in Banff in Dec. Jan. or Feb. as the temperature can be brutal cold.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Aspen, Crested Butte, Jackson Hole.

What she said. Especially Aspen.
And Big Sky?
Maybe a bit out of left field but since you're on the east coast it may be worth looking into the Euro resorts that are accessible via the Epic Pass. 3 Valleys, Les Arc/La Plagne, Tignes, Arlberg.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I second Jim Kenney's Banff suggestion, above.

I once shared a gondola ride at Lake Louise with a lady who couldn't stop raving about her spa day the previous day in Banff.

Caution: Do not vacation in Banff in Dec. Jan. or Feb. as the temperature can be brutal cold.
I third that Banff Rocks. Did I mention I am flying to Calgary and driving to Banff on Friday Morning. Will have 9 days there. The best part is the heat wave is over, colder temperatures have prevailed … ok not super cold but cold enough to have decent snow … oh and yes there is some spring snow in the forecast. Not the deep POW I remember skiing there as a kid, but still should be make for some great skiing :)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Aspen. No question. Not cheap, but exceptional. And you will love skiing there. The town is large and has plenty of things to do for her. The public transport system makes it easy to reach all four of the ski hills. If you ski at Ajax, you can ski down and have lunch with your wife. Both Ajax, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass have great terrain, a lot of the runs are groomed, and none are ever crowded, even on weekends.

Aspen and Jackson are on the IKON pass now.

dovski

Skier
Scenery wise Banff is really in class all its own. Activity wise it is up there too plus if you got to Banff you also have Lake Louise, the Columbia Icefields and so many other amazing places nearby. You are also in close proximity to 4 resorts on the Ikon/Mountain collective pass and two on the EPIC. But even if you don't have one of these passes lift tickets are quite reasonable.

You also have some amazing world renown hotels and restaurants which offer truly one of a kind experiences you will not find anywhere else. So if you want to sleep in a mountain chateau, dine like a king and ski some amazing terrain all while the none skiing members of your party have their own adventures Banff is the ticket.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I

Mid march to mid April would be ideal for Banff area for certain. Check out the Emerald Lake lodge for a couple of the nights. It's like a mini, more secluded Lake Louise, but a bit isolated.

Whistler, Pemberton, Squamish area are all chock full of weeks worth of entertainment. Mid January then March/April are also the best times to go. Just don't ski Saturdays.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 for Aspen/Snowmass, not cheap but fun to walk around the historic town and great skiing. +1 for Whistler/Blackcomb, village is well developed. I've never been to Banff, from what people have posted here, and from knowing that my friend's non-skiing wife enjoyed that trip, that sounds great for you.

The Alps? :P semi-just kidding.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a non-skiing wife who tags along with me - she has always enjoyed Breck - she has done outdoor snow cat tours, there are the nearby outlets in Dillon, and there is the town as well,

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
My suggestions are Aspen/Snowmass, Whistler or Park City. All big and developed enough for a non-skier to enjoy a week. I've never been to Banff so I can;t comment on that option.

dovski

Skier
For those who have not been to Banff, skiing aside it should be on your bucket list. Unlike a ski resort that is developed and commercialized around a mountain Banff is a world renowned national park steeped in beauty and history that happens to contain several world class ski resorts. More importantly it is part of a chain of national parks which includes Lake Louise, Jasper and Yoho, making it one of the worlds largest and most pristine nature preserves. The town of Banff has a cool European vibe and if you want to treat yourself you can stay in one of the old CP Railway hotels (now Fairmont) that were built over 100 years ago and are truly decadent.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Telluride should be at the top of the list, especially if the guy's trip is on Epic.

Sponsor

Staff online