• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me hunt down a wide carving ski.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I don't know. I do know that 108 is too wide in that it requires too much effort to tip on hard snow. It's been a while, but 82 seemed not to require much effort to tip, even if it's not as quick as 68. I'm guessing the Fischer RC1 GT at 86 would be ok. I've only tried mid 90s on soft snow.

The problem is that I'm not looking for an all-mountain ski that makes concessions for versatilities sake; I just want to be able to tip my skis to high angles on ice-like conditions without booting out. And I want to be able to do it all day, not just shove my feet into a pair of vices for a quick race and then take the boots off.

Skis like the Monster 88's (World cup ski type construction) are a tad slower to engage compared to skis that are much narrower (sub 75mm skis) but they have quite a bite on hard snow while also being versatile enough for off piste and softer snow although they have zero float pretty much.

I think you would like the Fischer RC One 86 GT's. They are bonafide wide carvers. Same with the Salomon S/Force 11's. Heavy skis with lots of metal, stiffness and sharp tails. The MX 89's are to me (at least the previous model) one of the best and most refined "wide carvers". They just rip down anything at speed. I call these wide carvers because they pretty much have to be on edge all the time.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Völkl Deacon 84.
I have not skied this ski, but I observe that a high percentage of the truly strong skiers around here are on it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since you are an engineer call a friend and have them machine a new binding plate to add 5 to 15mm (do the math ogwink, engineering thing), should solve you problem and while keeping your existing ski.

If you keep booting out after that you are doing something wrong, don’t know what but something........

Alternate solution. Play with running chainsaws, hear it helps narrow the feet.

Sponsor

Staff online