• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me fill out my quiver

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m looking for a 3rd ski in my quiver. I live in UT and ski primarily Canyons side of PCMR. My current daily driver is a 185cm Enforcer 93. I use an Atomic Backland 109 (189cm) as my powder ski. What I need is a truly hard snow/carving ski for bluebird days, when we have low snow, when I have guests come in and we stay on-piste, and when I am teaching my 2 1/2 year old how to ski.

What should I look at? I am price sensitive here and I don’t want/need to buy top of the line. Very intrigued by the deal Sierra Trading Post has on the DPS Cassiar F82 but open to other suggestions. Pugski led me to my Atomics, which I love, so work your magic again!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
It sounds broken recordish, but there is a reason why the front side options from Head are popular front side for recreation as well as instructing. The Rally or Titan both are smearable, initiate easy at low speeds, yet can dig trenches when you ask them. The only downside is the aggressive shovels make moguls and tree play tedious should you get the hankering to run off piste for a bit.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I should add that I am on the taller side of things...6’3”, 215 lbs. the longest supershape is 177cm. Will that be too short for me? One of the things that caught my eye on the F82 was that it comes in a 185 and the shape is just a hint more versatile if I do duck off the trail or run into a bump, but the skis that I am looking for in this category will most likely be staying on the trail 90% of the time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot of good options starting with the reference collection that @trailtrimmer mentioned, the Head SS iRally & iTitan. Do not be concerned about the length..because of the application. Remember, men ski a 165 in slalom, the only reason most ski a 165, is that they are not allowed to ski anything shorter. Remember too, you are asking for a ski that you can teach your 2 1/2 year old to ski, moch longer will be tough to work at slow speeds. If you want to stay in the Atomic family, and if you want something longer, the X9. Dynastar has the SpeedZone 12, K2 offers the very good Charger collection, Volkl has the Codes and some other great skis out there too.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
@Philpug , any input on the Atomic Vantage 85 CTI? They are inexpensive right now along with the Latigo. They would definitely go off piste better than a pure front side machine, just unsure of it's ability to ramble along and smear at family speeds.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug , any input on the Atomic Vantage 85 CTI? They are inexpensive right now along with the Latigo. They would definitely go off piste better than a pure front side machine, just unsure of it's ability to ramble along and smear at family speeds.
I like the Vantage X 83 better. The regular Vantages are nice skis but they fail my "Steadfast Test", the test is... Is there any day that i can think of, if I was out on the Nordica Steadfast (or whatever skis HERE), today would be the perfect day. Again, it is a nice ski, nothing about it stands out. This wll change for 18/19, the upcoming Vantages are really good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Titan, RTM 84, and GT84 come to mind.

At 6'2" I've got the Titan in 177 and it is long enough for it's application, and that length helps you "cheat" those fat shovels through the bumps!

Really good for wife/slower friends/kids skiing, because their turn radius is very tight.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I should add that I am on the taller side of things...6’3”, 215 lbs. the longest supershape is 177cm. Will that be too short for me? One of the things that caught my eye on the F82 was that it comes in a 185 and the shape is just a hint more versatile if I do duck off the trail or run into a bump, but the skis that I am looking for in this category will most likely be staying on the trail 90% of the time.
You are not buying a powder ski or a speed ski. 177 cm is plenty long enough for a shorter turn radius carving ski. You don't need versatility in your carving ski; you have a quiver. Go for the i. Rally.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think ,especially west of the Mississippi and you have a fantastic, from what I hear , 93 that is going to hog 5 out of 7 days in a typical storm system , you gotta go low, REAL LOW ,68 or 70 low.
Don’t mess around get a real deal ripper, remember, you signed a deal with the devil when you bought that hard snow biased , stellar 93.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
How would a 2014 mx 83 in 183 work for this purpose? A guy around me has a pair For $200. Haven’t seen them yet but assuming they are in serviceable condition would this be a better teaching ski than my enforcers? He also has them in 173.

Thanks for all the advice

Sponsor

Staff online