• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me decide, wider all-mountain or powder ski? ON3P

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
FWIW my avatar pic is on my Rev 105’s a few years ago at Whistler, so it’s not like I can’t make them work, rather I find them a little too easy to over-turn in powder and crud and make turns smaller than I want and cut across the slope rather than stay in the fall line. More work to smear/slarve, and very subtle movements to make larger radius turns. They were great for teaching me to be subtle in my movements, and I kept them as long as I did because I felt they had a few things to teach me.

That actually jives well with my recollection of a wide REV that I tested years ago. Disproportionally big tip, very prone to overturning, I was not a fan.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: these arrived today.
54C93C8A-94CA-43EE-BC46-A5DC5121A69A.jpeg

I called up ON3P and had a nice chat with Scott Andrus (who answered the phone, actually). He pointed out that I knew I wanted a powder ski at some point, so why not get that now, and that if the Billy Goat worked for me in mixed conditions and crud, great. At a later time I can figure out what I really want from a middle quiver ski, if I need one at all.

He did offer some options, such as doing a custom order with 19oz fiberglass rather than 22oz, which would save some weight. BTW, they have a custom ski builder on their website on any model in their lineup, with options for softer or stiffer carbon, softer or stiffer glass, stock or tour layup, options for topsheet, sidewall color, base color/pattern, wether you want it detuned for park, and whether you want a stock tail or a skin clip tail.

Scott even floated the idea of using a template from the Steeple 108, which was a touring ski with the Billy Goat RES sidecut, and making it with a Billy Goat layup.

I thought about it for a several days and inquired again about the Steeple with Billy Goat layup, but the reply was that they’d already thrown away the parts/templates, though they might reconsider doing this kind of thing again in the future. I asked about demo days to be able to try the Woodsman, he noted they aren’t doing as many demo days, in part because of ski resort consolidation (for example, Stevens Pass is now a Vail resort and haven’t allowed ON3P to do a demo tent, and Crystal/Ikon seems to have a similar policy). There aren’t many dealers or ski resort shops that carry ON3P (I think Evo does) so most of their business is order direct from them.

So I ordered a Billy Goat in 184.

I have to say, Scott’s company is a class act, they make everything in their Portland, OR factory, quality of construction is excellent, and they are very accessible and responsive. Shipping is free with orders over $100, and it was sent via Fedex, which from Portland was overnight.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@David Chaus So did you customized them at all or those the standard layup? Even if they are the standard layup, they will ski lighter with non demo bindings on there.

You’ll love them I’m sure!!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Standard layup. I figured I should get a better sense of what standard layup feels like, more than just demoing for a few runs, before I decide I’m picky enough to need anything special.

I realize they will be lighter and have a lower stand height with non demo bindings. I’m debating Attack2 13 vs Pivot 14, maybe ST2.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
What did you decide on bindings? I'm about to mount up a pair of 189. I'm 210lb. Some of these comments have me questions sack height.

I've really loved the warden 13. Not as big of a fan of the Attack 13, they are more finnicky with snow packing. For the record, I've never skied a Pivot.

Why does stack height matter based on skier size?

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the regular Attack 13’s. Also go them mounted on my new ON3P Woodsman 102’s, for the sake of consistency. I’m sure Wardens would work too, as long as the binding delta is similar.

Here’s the quiver. In the end maybe it didn’t matter so much which ski I got first, the middle or the wider. I did have some fun with the Billy Goat last year and had a couple of days where it was absolutely the best ski for the conditions, however I foresee getting more use out of the Woodsman. The 102 is a new width this year and in between the 96 and 108 Woodsman I was considering a year ago, so maybe a good thing I waited a year.
548BCA18-EC76-46A3-93A6-6EF8916326A6.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that's a location-specific quiver! The waist width span ( I KNOW it's not the only metric) is 90-116. About 12 mm steps.
My three-ski quiver goes 78 - 119, steps of 17 and 24 respectively.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Why not ask your trainers? Both Sevens and Crystal have solid development programs. I don't remember too many in that population on anything much over 100.

Sponsor

Staff online