• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me decide between Kore 105 and K2 Mindbender 108

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've sung the praises of the MB108s in various places on pugski. They remind me more than a bit of my Enforcer 100s. Fairly damp and powerful, but NOT overly stiff, esp up front, and boy do they plane up in fresh snow. Possible better than my (soon for sale) Ranger 115s.

I'm a long-time Nordica fan, but really dislike the wider Enforcers. I just cannot wrap my arms around the forward mount points (old dog, new tricks, etc.). If they would cut an Enforcer 100 down the middle and widen it 10 mm I'd be so stoked.

But the MB 108 is sorta kinda like that. A little looser than the Enforcer 100, but with a solid traditional mounting point. I just can't say enough good things about it.

CAVEAT: I sure don't ski the number of skis that others on this forum do, but the MB108 is the first "wide" ski I've loved. I've liked a few a fair bit, but never fell head over heels until now.....

TS
kauffee

kauffee

Putting on skis
Skier
I think the OP's 105 HP Kastle choice should work really well, to me just as good as, if not better than, the Head Kore 105s, which I found great in crud and powder, but not as good in crud that got really rough and uneven, just relatively (though it was still good there, at least to me).

OP here. So far I like the BMX 105HP... it's basically exactly what I expected. Damp and powerful. Not light. Feels good at speed. From what I remember of my Kore 105 demo, the Kore 105's light weight made it feel more playful. Certainly easier to pivot in bumps. Maybe easier to ski as a whole, despite the stiffness.

So I'm not totally sure I made the right choice... my 40+ year old legs can feel that weight difference. But the Kastle is certainly a nice ski so no real complaints.

erleichda

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't know if it is better to start new thread of jump on here, but also a Portland skier looking at very similar skis for replacing my ancient Atomic Snoop Daddy. I love those skis, 1700gm, 88 underfoot, never chatter at speed and though turn radius of 20m the swing weight is low which I require due to my back back and knee. At 5'9" and 180# as a 50 y.o. I'm more of a directional skier who keeps the wax on the snow but hit all manner of vertical. My AT setup is full rockered Volkl Nuntaaqs at 107 underfoot. I'm really unsure about replacing my Atomic "resort beaters" with something wider but cambered as a 50/50 ski and donating my volkl's to a son. I demo'd the BC Atris which I found too heavy, and the QST 106 which was too heavy and not maneuverable enough for my body parts. The Bent Chetler 100 hit the right notes on swing weight but couldn't hold an edge or hook up turns like my Snoops. My sons enforcer 100s are too heavy for me. I'm leaning towards trying out Elan Ripstick 106, Line Sick Day 104, Kore 105s, Corvus Freebirds. Or, if there just isn't a light weight yet super stable replacement for my Snoops...go bigger with DPS 112 or Bent Chet 120.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know if it is better to start new thread of jump on here, but also a Portland skier looking at very similar skis for replacing my ancient Atomic Snoop Daddy. I love those skis, 1700gm, 88 underfoot, never chatter at speed and though turn radius of 20m the swing weight is low which I require due to my back back and knee. At 5'9" and 180# as a 50 y.o. I'm more of a directional skier who keeps the wax on the snow but hit all manner of vertical. My AT setup is full rockered Volkl Nuntaaqs at 107 underfoot. I'm really unsure about replacing my Atomic "resort beaters" with something wider but cambered as a 50/50 ski and donating my volkl's to a son. I demo'd the BC Atris which I found too heavy, and the QST 106 which was too heavy and not maneuverable enough for my body parts. The Bent Chetler 100 hit the right notes on swing weight but couldn't hold an edge or hook up turns like my Snoops. My sons enforcer 100s are too heavy for me. I'm leaning towards trying out Elan Ripstick 106, Line Sick Day 104, Kore 105s, Corvus Freebirds. Or, if there just isn't a light weight yet super stable replacement for my Snoops...go bigger with DPS 112 or Bent Chet 120.
One possibility is to try the skis you are demoing (or buying), at more forward mount points, and see if that doesn't make the ski feel much lighter weight, and less stress to ski. (And then put an adjustable or demo binding on the ski that you choose.)

Case in point, this year's (and next, since it's unchanged except for being sort of white instead of yellow)
K2 Mindbender 108.

I got to experiment with mount points for this ski, at 0 and roughly +.7 cm, +1.4 cm, and +2.1 cm (one click, two and three). For a much heavier guy, maybe at 0 is fine. But for me, and for skiers up to 190 lbs., this ski sure changes a lot moved forward, in a good way.

A K2 rep told me that many folks he skis with have found +2 to be optimal.
My 175 lb. friend is now at +2 on the 186(?) and loving this ski, he says. If the snow is soft, he will be on the MB 108.

And I am searching for a pair myself now, in 186, to be skied at around +2.1 (three clicks) or at times +1.4 (two clicks). What an amazing ski, for me, moved forward in this way. (I've been bothersome about liking best the Volkl V-Werks Mantra all this past year, but now - move over, Mantra, here comes the K2 MB 108!!

With each click, it just transforms.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 189 was indeed the ski I'd picked and that the Head rep was holding as he told me about the change to +4 for next year.

After skiing that, I settled on +3 (-1 on next year's ski), for now. Better, for me.
Another rep told me he preferred +2 (or -2) for the 189.
A wonderful powder ski.

Sponsor

Staff online