• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Outside ski to outside ski... No trouble with that, but Jeb's drill isn't about compensating for gear like folks had to do in the way back when. Here's Franz on moden gear:

IMO, folks who skied with old gear had to develop good single leg balance.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
IMO, folks who skied with old gear had to develop good single leg balance.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. Just curious, but don't you think this still holds true if one wants to ski effectively? Do you figure Franz isn't skiing from outside ski to outside ski in the clip i posted above? Or any WC skier? Or pretty much any skier we collectively admire from pretty much any era? Old gear was harder to bend. New gear not so much. What happened? Materials and tech that allowed manufactures to decouple lateral and longitudinal rigidity in skis.

In my experience, without exception, the best skiers I know have little trouble with single leg balance. Think Bode for fun. ogsmile

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s another question:
Does a Skier’s Edge really help with skiing technique? I wonder what it would do for my A frame?
I do have one that I bought used some years ago, but I haven’t used it the past year.
Would using it regularly now help?
(I bought it to help strengthen lateral muscles, and it did work for that).

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Here’s another question:
Does a Skier’s Edge really help with skiing technique? I wonder what it would do for my A frame?
I do have one that I bought used some years ago, but I haven’t used it the past year.

The A-frame is caused by which ski (inside instead of outside) that you balance over. Can a Skier's Edge help you change that habit?

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The A-frame is caused by which ski (inside instead of outside) that you balance over. Can a Skier's Edge help you change that habit?

I think so. Although both feet are on the platforms, I can weight my outside foot more....and once I get more comfortable with that, I think I can use it one legged, by picking up the inside foot. Platforms also tilt fore-aft for balance practice, as well as laterally to simulate edging.

(Although I think your post was meant as a rhetorical question ogsmile)

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy, I have a skier’s edge. Yes, it can help your skiing. As it comes over the top, press harder with your outside foot and lighten (not pick up) your inside foot.

Another exercise for you to try. As you move your legs from side to side try not to let your hips and upper body rise. (I call it keeping my eyeballs level.). You have to flex and extend your legs to do it. This will give you the feeling of a cross under move. It also gets your legs extending and flexing. That learning of extension and flexion will improve your overall skiing. Start with little movement side to side and increase your range as you become more proficient in the move and feeling generated by it.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I think so. Although both feet are on the platforms, I can weight my outside foot more....and once I get more comfortable with that, I think I can use it one legged, by picking up the inside foot. Platforms also tilt fore-aft for balance practice, as well as laterally to simulate edging.

(Although I think your post was meant as a rhetorical question ogsmile)

Not rhetorical at all. :)

I've never used a skiers edge - so I don't know if it can give you the "Balance on the outside ski" feeling.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Another exercise for you to try. As you move your legs from side to side try not to let your hips and upper body rise. (I call it keeping my eyeballs level.). You have to flex and extend your legs to do it. This will give you the feeling of a cross under move. It also gets your legs extending and flexing. That learning of extension and flexion will improve your overall skiing. Start with little movement side to side and increase your range as you become more proficient in the move and feeling generated by it.

Wendy, the skier's edge you have will help. Sounds like you have a unit with the slope simulator. I would think as you become more proficient with it you can shift the majority of weight to the outside foot. You do want to keep the leg movements synchronized rather than abandon your inside leg.

To work on the extension and flexion move that T-Square mentioned above, The powder/mogul set up would be more effective. Instant feed back.

Powder & Mogul Setup.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here’s another question:
Like anything, when used correctly it can be a great tool to ingrain a particular movement pattern. At worst, it is some good exercise.
This video is about five years old but I spent some time on the machine while rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff. Some good commentary from my coach Victor while I was learning how to do it properly. I wish I had some video of him on the machine because he made me look like a slug. I finally found the sweet spot during the last few seconds of the video.

Here is a link to Victors testimonial
http://www.skiersedge.co.uk/rave_reviews/articles/skiracingtips.html?lightbox

Last edited:

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Like anything, when used correctly it can be a great tool to ingrain a particular movement pattern. At worst, it is some good exercise.
This video is about five years old but I spent some time on the machine while rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff. Some good commentary from my coach Victor while I was learning how to do it properly. I wish I had some video of him on the machine because he made me look like a slug. I finally found the sweet spot during the last few seconds of the video.

Oh that thing is sweet. Never seen one in motion - didn't realize you could use it hands free!

Now I want video of @Wendy on hers... I'm curious what it looks like.

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor

Victor “The Inflictor!” That guys an animal!

zenny

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Wendy, I have a skier’s edge. Yes, it can help your skiing. As it comes over the top, press harder with your outside foot and lighten (not pick up) your inside foot.

I'd be careful about the skier's edge. One of the issues in your skiing is that you are pushing your outside ski away from your body. The Skier's Edge requires a push to extend the outside leg. IMHO, your issue is twofold: you don't know how to tip your lower legs (so you incline into the turn winding up on your inside leg) and you push the outside ski away from you in the late shaping/finish of the turn.

So, if you have a Skier's Edge, think of using it primarily to get in shape. Also pay attention to early transfer of weight to the new outside ski. But be careful about the extension.

When you get on snow, I think you need to focus on lower leg tipping. Take the leg extension out of the equation for a (good) while. You need to learn about tipping to establish the (outside) edge and platform and then allowing the ski to turn. You are looking for the ski to do its thing, rather than forcing the ski to do something. You want the snow running along the length of the ski, not across its width.

Here's a video of Andreas Spettel on edging. Practice some, or all, of these things.

Outside ski drills, where you pick up the old outside ski before edge change, will integrate the outside ski to outside ski approach identified above with lower leg tipping. But you first need to work on the tipping exercises, IMO.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'd be careful about the skier's edge. One of the issues in your skiing is that you are pushing your outside ski away from your body.
Careful is the key word here! Pushing is a definite possibility when the machine is used incorrectly. When used properly it is as if you are pulling your legs up underneath you so a smooth extension can follow.
Pushing is something that should be saved for getting to the goods on a powder day. :)

The Spettel drills are great but take some athleticism to match his intensity. Remember that they can still be beneficial even if they are toned down a bit.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Take the leg extension out of the equation for a (good) while. You need to learn about tipping to establish the (outside) edge and platform and then allowing the ski to turn. You are looking for the ski to do its thing, rather than forcing the ski to do something. You want the snow running along the length of the ski, not across its width.

Here's a video of Andreas Spettel on edging. Practice some, or all, of these things.

What a great point! And if you watch the first 2 seconds of the video you will see that tipping and establishment of the outside edge and platform is facilitated by a shortening of the inside leg.

Sponsor

Staff online