• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
(Yep, you don't erase old patterns, you build new ones.)

:thumb::thumb:

You decompose, build new neural patterns, block train to own them (make them strong), re-compose and rewire the triggers. It's oh so scientific :cool:

As it happens, I just posted this exact story - enjoy: http://www.effectiveskiing.com/wiki/carving-blog/Creating_great_skiers

And, as you reminded me - related to this thread in particular - here's some before and afters, some boot work, some tech work:
change1.jpg
change2.jpg

View media item 2842
View media item 2843:beercheer:

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
^^^
Are you suggesting that those are the intended shin angles that Laura Gut wants in every turn?

A frame picked from one instant of a turn in a video about her boot alignment from Head who we were told make terrible skis in another thread, but anyhow... We could have picked out another moment in the same turn, or the one before, or the one after, to show something else. Monster man, doesn't it get old? The TGR contrarian stir the pooh vibe thing? Common buddy, we love ya man...

:hug:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Want an easy and quick thing to do to help reduce an A Frame?

Contract (activate, tense up) the Tibialis Anterior muscle on the inside leg. In addition to dorsiflexing the ankle, it moves the knee out.

I've been playing with this on ice skates, and also doing standing yoga poses in front of a mirror watching it's effect - and it clearly moves the knee out. It would be the inside ski (or the gliding ski/skate in skating) that one would do this with.

Here's an article explaining the muscle, this article only discusses the ankle closing that it creates, but try it in front of a mirror, it moves the knee out!

http://www.peakfitnessnw.com/exercise/one-small-muscle

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Want an easy and quick thing to do to help reduce an A Frame?

Contract (activate, tense up) the Tibialis Anterior muscle on the inside leg. In addition to dorsiflexing the ankle, it moves the knee out.

I've been playing with this on ice skates, and also doing standing yoga poses in front of a mirror watching it's effect - and it clearly moves the knee out. It would be the inside ski (or the gliding ski/skate in skating) that one would do this with.

Here's an article explaining the muscle, this article only discusses the ankle closing that it creates, but try it in front of a mirror, it moves the knee out!

http://www.peakfitnessnw.com/exercise/one-small-muscle

Nice article. But... my knee didn't move out.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Nice article. But... my knee didn't move out.

Interesting. I assume you looked in a mirror with your knees showing. Mine definitely does.

I'd very much like to hear from others trying this.

In a closed chain situation (weight on the right foot) contracting the right TA and my foot inverts and knee moves out. The ankle doesn't close.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Interesting. I assume you looked in a mirror with your knees showing. Mine definitely does.

I'd very much like to hear from others trying this.

In a closed chain situation (weight on the right foot) contracting the right TA and my foot inverts and knee moves out. The ankle doesn't close.

Hi Steve. :)

Yup. My knee moves out. :):)

BUT - it is such an effortful way, IMO, to move the knee out! It feels effortless to achieve the same outcome by simply tipping my femur at the hip joint and moving the knee out there. I know I'm a Debbie downer on this stuff. :) But I would never use the TA muscle for anything other than a recovery move if I get inadvertently in the backseat. It's just too much work for a very small muscle. I simply manage the relationship of my CoM to my BoS and allow my WEIGHT to dorsiflex my ankle. It's extremely effective and quite effortless. And my whole foot gets to stay comfortably on, and in constant contact with the boot sole. Since I ski mainly balanced over my forefoot all of the time, this seemed obvious to me. But what I've come to realize, is that others who are employing the rocking horse technique and allowing their weight to move aft during portions of a turn might HAVE to use the TA to get the dorsiflexion they need. This didn't occur to me at first! Oops. With the technique I am using, engaging the TA is a double whammy of muscular effort and inefficiency (using that small muscle for dorsiflexion and tipping).

I had a very interesting discussion with Ursula yesterday regarding the ball-arch-heel method of skiing. I may post about it in LiquidFeet's rocking horse thread since it would be more appropriate there.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Hi Skisailor :)

Not Debbie downer, no worries. Tipping your femur in the hip joint uses muscles too it seems to me. This TA activation is a new thing for me, but my belief is that the more I train my muscles to do things the more they will do them on their own without conscious effort.

I've spent a lot of time in past years learning difficult music on the piano and synthesizer. At first it takes real effort to play e.g. a fast melodic phrase. Eventually I play it without thinking about it or using any effort, it just flows out of my fingers. There are things I learned decades ago that I can still play with ease. Once committed to memory, I can add feeling and expression, accent individual notes (pressure management) and add other subtleties. I think of skiing the same way, as a creative expression - only possible after I've learned the notes.

Without playing the line over and over I could never do this. At first slowly, eventually at tempo.

I just don't agree with you that using this muscle involves any unneeded effort. Eventually. Or so I hope!

As Charle Parker said;

"First master your instrument, then master the music - then forget all that shit and just play."

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi Steve. :)

Yup. My knee moves out. :):)

BUT - it is such an effortful way, IMO, to move the knee out! It feels effortless to achieve the same outcome by simply tipping my femur at the hip joint and moving the knee out there. I know I'm a Debbie downer on this stuff. :) But I would never use the TA muscle for anything other than a recovery move if I get inadvertently in the backseat. It's just too much work for a very small muscle. I simply manage the relationship of my CoM to my BoS and allow my WEIGHT to dorsiflex my ankle. It's extremely effective and quite effortless. And my whole foot gets to stay comfortably on, and in constant contact with the boot sole. Since I ski mainly balanced over my forefoot all of the time, this seemed obvious to me. But what I've come to realize, is that others who are employing the rocking horse technique and allowing their weight to move aft during portions of a turn might HAVE to use the TA to get the dorsiflexion they need. This didn't occur to me at first! Oops. With the technique I am using, engaging the TA is a double whammy of muscular effort and inefficiency (using that small muscle for dorsiflexion and tipping).

I had a very interesting discussion with Ursula yesterday regarding the ball-arch-heel method of skiing. I may post about it in LiquidFeet's rocking horse thread since it would be more appropriate there.
Even if you're out of balance, using the ta muscle will not work.
Pulling the feet back is much easier and faster.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi Steve,
Only way my knee goes outwards - closed or open chain, with or without a mirror - is by rolling my foot onto the little toes side. Which could be done with the TA or by moving the femur in the hip socket. Or a bit of both.

Question: the article describes how we use the TA to haul ourselves out of the backseat (if/when we get caught out) by levering our body forward using our toes (dorsiflex the ankle) against the top of boot... if you do this, do both your knees go out?

Agree with your comments re music training - in my case guitar. Apps like Guitar Pro that help in repetitively stepping through passages, slowly at first and then at increased speed until normal speed has been reached. After a time it just 'flows' out of the fingers as you describe without conscious thought.

I'm sincerely hoping that the same principle applies in improving my short turns. Just need a Snow Pro program to set the pace!

Skisailor

Skier
Hi Skisailor :)

Not Debbie downer, no worries. Tipping your femur in the hip joint uses muscles too it seems to me. This TA activation is a new thing for me, but my belief is that the more I train my muscles to do things the more they will do them on their own without conscious effort.

I've spent a lot of time in past years learning difficult music on the piano and synthesizer. At first it takes real effort to play e.g. a fast melodic phrase. Eventually I play it without thinking about it or using any effort, it just flows out of my fingers. There are things I learned decades ago that I can still play with ease. Once committed to memory, I can add feeling and expression, accent individual notes (pressure management) and add other subtleties. I think of skiing the same way, as a creative expression - only possible after I've learned the notes.

Without playing the line over and over I could never do this. At first slowly, eventually at tempo.

I just don't agree with you that using this muscle involves any unneeded effort. Eventually. Or so I hope!

As Charle Parker said;

"First master your instrument, then master the music - then forget all that shit and just play."

I'm a musician too! :) (Guitar and viola)

We can agree to disagree. I have no doubt that you could train your TA muscle to do this and it might get easier and less of a conscious effort. But it just seems self evident to me that using a very small muscle to do the same work we ask a large muscle to do is going to involve more effort.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
We can do the recording in my basement and get LiquidFeet to do the cover art. We'll call the band 'The Modern Pugski Jug Band'. Title the first album 'What the Pug' or 'Meet the Pugs'.

uke

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I'm a musician too! :) (Guitar and viola)

We can agree to disagree. I have no doubt that you could train your TA muscle to do this and it might get easier and less of a conscious effort. But it just seems self evident to me that using a very small muscle to do the same work we ask a large muscle to do is going to involve more effort.

I play some guitar too, I love the viola, that's a hard instrument to play well!

Back to small muscles vs. large ones - the current teaching is that we should ski from the snow up, from the small muscles first; feet, lower legs, then upper legs.

Hips and Shoulders create gross movements as compared to the subtle movements that have so much influence from the bottom of the lever.

I'll tell you this, my TA's are a bit sore after the last week of using them so much.

Skisailor

Skier
I play some guitar too, I love the viola, that's a hard instrument to play well!

Back to small muscles vs. large ones - the current teaching is that we should ski from the snow up, from the small muscles first; feet, lower legs, then upper legs.

Hips and Shoulders create gross movements as compared to the subtle movements that have so much influence from the bottom of the lever.

I'll tell you this, my TA's are a bit sore after the last week of using them so much.

I know that "snow up" is the current mantra, but I sometimes think that it's taken too far. We need to be more flexible than that in skiing and for MA, IMHO. I tend to make a dividing line at the hip sockets and emphasize doing things with the legs and with a quiet upper body. Sometimes we work on something that starts at the feet. Sometimes we work on something that starts at the head. Whatever is necessary for the student and the situation.

Here's another thought - I think of all of those little muscles in the feet, ankles and lower leg as critical to providing nuanced balancing movements. So for me - I want them to be generally loose and flexible and relaxed and "ready". Deliberately holding tension in my lower legs, besides being tiring, compromises the ability of these little muscles to make quick, small adjustments. And sometimes it's NOT so nuanced. In crud, my ankle works like a hinged shock absorber - with a pretty big range of motion - to prevent many of the shocks due to the uneven terrain from working their way up my skeleton. It makes for relatively smooth sailing. Try it sometime!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
A completely relaxed muscle is not in a ready state for action.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
As Charle Parker said;

Yeah, Monk notoriously quit practicing because he thought it was getting in the way of his playing. . .

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Shock absorbers are not loose, they are tense, either springs or in a thick fluid

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
In fact when a spring gets too loose it stops having the ability to absorb shocks

Skisailor

Skier
In fact when a spring gets too loose it stops having the ability to absorb shocks

Well I'm trying to figure out how to explain it - and maybe not doing a very good job! I don't mean that I'm so relaxed that I collapse in a heap on my skis. :) When you are walking down the street your muscles are working and firing, shortening and lengthening etc. etc. But do you have the feeling like they are actually tensed up? Wouldn't it be hard to walk Very far that way? Or with your TA constantly tensed and pulling your forefoot up? A muscle doesn't have to be tense to be ready to work at a moment's notice.

And that said - there are some conditions - heavy crud being one of them - where I do teach that we should have "functional tension" in our core. I don't tense those muscles up - but they are in a "ready" state that feels different from what I need when I'm cruising down a groomer.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And that said - there are some conditions - heavy crud being one of them - where I do teach that we should have "functional tension" in our core. I don't tense those muscles up - but they are in a "ready" state that feels different from what I need when I'm cruising down a groomer.

Think of a spot on a slightly sketchy traverse where the track goes over a ridge and then down and across the next gully. You don't know what irregularities you are going to hit, and braking is not an option. So you crouch slightly and tense some muscles while trying to leave others free to absorb disturbances. But I would not want to ski that way all day.

Sponsor