• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
@Skisailor I've said all along that it is a matter of degree and even referenced discussion of what muscular "tension" means. You are replying as if I'm clenching the muscles tight the entire time. No, I'm just using them. Being aware of them. Keeping them in play. The "actively tensed up" comment was yours, not mine.

You however have made the statement that "But I would never use the TA muscle for anything other than a recovery move if I get inadvertently in the backseat." You wouldn't want to use them? Why not? They are part of our musculature. Of course we use them.

You also said "I want them to be generally loose and flexible and relaxed and "ready"" This is definitely a point that I disagree with because I don't think "loose" is a "ready" state.

There is a range from "loose" to "actively tensed up." I don't think either extreme is appropriate. I want them in use, available. If you google "muscular tension" you'll find that it does not mean "tensed up." I've been saying this in all the threads where this comes up, but you keep replying as if I'm suggesting the top of the range and except in exceptions you're at the bottom.

What about the middle?

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
@Skisailor I've said all along that it is a matter of degree and even referenced discussion of what muscular "tension" means. You are replying as if I'm clenching the muscles tight the entire time. No, I'm just using them. Being aware of them. Keeping them in play. The "actively tensed up" comment was yours, not mine.

You however have made the statement that "But I would never use the TA muscle for anything other than a recovery move if I get inadvertently in the backseat." You wouldn't want to use them? Why not? They are part of our musculature. Of course we use them.

You also said "I want them to be generally loose and flexible and relaxed and "ready"" This is definitely a point that I disagree with because I don't think "loose" is a "ready" state.

There is a range from "loose" to "actively tensed up." I don't think either extreme is appropriate. I want them in use, available. If you google "muscular tension" you'll find that it does not mean "tensed up." I've been saying this in all the threads where this comes up, but you keep replying as if I'm suggesting the top of the range and except in exceptions you're at the bottom.

What about the middle?

Do forgive me. I think you are right in that I'm responding more generally to a perception I have from multiple posts and posters on this issue - including articles and videos - that have come together to give me a sense of much more active use of the TA muscle than I would advocate.

I'm sure I use it too! But I think just for small twitch balancing movements - not to actively dorsiflex my ankle.

Maybe this description will add more light. The bottom of my foot stays on the sole of the boot. In our living rooms with feet flat on the floor, is it easier to use the TA to raise up our toes and forefoot? Or is it easier to simply direct and balance our weight over the forefoot to close the ankle?

If I had to make this move (close my ankle) and my weight is over the back of my arch, I have no choice but to use the TA to achieve this outcome. But if I am balanced over the forefoot, I can simply use my weight and that would always be my "plan A" so to speak.

And yes - I do agree that some of this is just a matter of degree.

With regard to "loose" - maybe not the best word. But I tried to clarify that by using the analogy of walking and how effortless that can feel even through the muscles are working and engaged.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
:thumb: We use all of our muscles, or I should say, we should use them.

I have kept that TA muscle loose and useless for years. I'm training it now and increasing my awareness of it.

btw, fell Ice Skating for the first time, landed on my hip. Ouch. Hopefully the pain goes away soon.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Skisailor,

You talk about being on the forefoot keeps your weight ready to flex the boot and saves you the use of the TA to move pressure forward from a more centered stance. What about the muscles you have to use to keep your weight suspended like that. I can demonstrate that staying on the forefoot requires the use of more and larger muscles for longer periods of time than just standing on the arch so the idea that you are saving energy by being fore doesn't hold up.

uke

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Skisailor,

You talk about being on the forefoot keeps your weight ready to flex the boot and saves you the use of the TA to move pressure forward from a more centered stance. What about the muscles you have to use to keep your weight suspended like that. I can demonstrate that staying on the forefoot requires the use of more and larger muscles for longer periods of time than just standing on the arch so the idea that you are saving energy by being fore doesn't hold up.
uke

That would be great, because I do absolutely disagree that centering our weight over the ball of the foot requires more use of large muscle groups. It is an important aspect of Ursula Howland's on-snow technique, which is incredibly dynamic and efficient. My quads and glutes do not get a work out at all when I ski. And my objective evidence - comparing my daily experience on snow to that of my colleagues - and the response I get from students - tends to make me feel very strongly about it.

I don't claim it's a "better" way to ski and I totally respect other techniques and approaches. But there are objective differences. It just depends what a particular skier's goals and priorities are.

This discussion would really take us on a tangent. :) Liquid Feet and I have had this discussion ad nauseum in other forums.. . . . so I might have to see if I can get the energy to lay it out again.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid