• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't skied anything narrower that 92 in about 8 years now. Nordica Hell's Belle's have been my daily driver for local skiing and it's time to replace them. I find myself wanting a playful, turny, friendly front side ski. I live in Big Bear, CA and there are no demo opportunities worth talking about so I plan to demo at Mammoth in spring which should approximate our local winter conditions. I have Volkl 90eight for when I travel to big mountain and the Volkl One for powder. I like Volkls in general but this time I am looking for something more relaxed that I don't have to drive as hard. Just something to play around on, but I would like some speed!

Where I will ski it: Big Bear CA where blues are really more like green and blacks are really blues and everything is groomed except for a couple of runs which are considered double blacks (blues covered with cruddy bumps.). Conditions are variable through out the day from rock hard, slick corduroy to cream cheese to crud to slush - often all of that before noon.

About me - 5'2" 130lbs - terminal scrappy intermediate who is trying to improve in bumps.

On my list so far:
Head Super Joy
Atomic Vantage 80 CTi W
Blizzard Alight 8.2 Ti
Fischer My Pro MTN 86

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe add Kastle FX 85 (nonHP). Just got a demo pair 2016 157 for my intermediate daughter about your size. I couldn't believe how her skiing improved. She isn't carving turns, but her brushed/pivoting turns are more patient and rounded now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Liberty ladies VMT 76/82 will be arriving shortly. A strong consideration considering hwo much the bigger women liked the men's verion.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might consider a Head V8 in one of the short lengths. If that's too much maybe the V6. The V8 and V10 have been receiving great reviews (I thought the 8 was a blast, have not been on the 10) but I've yet to see them in the wild. That's too bad because they're fine skis. The 8 is a great choice for an advancing intermediate who plans on groomer runs. Very easy to turn. The V6 is a toned down version that might be more suitable for a smaller, lighter (i.e. YOU!) skier.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like my Armada Victa 87Ti, but they're not much narrower than what you have. I wouldn't call them "turny," but they are playful. They are fun in moguls and soft snow too.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump for a question @Tricia Does the Atomic Vantage have a built in heel lift? I read something to that effect somewhere, and I do not want that!
@Philpug I assume that the Liberty VMT models are new and are different from the V80W or V87W? I am hoping to demo next month in Mammoth. Also, while I recognize that there is no unicorn of skis, I am hoping for a frontside friendly ski that will also help me to improve in moguls. Any further suggestions?
I have added the Dynastar Legend 84 and the Volkl Flair 81 to my list.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mantra Jr. 158 cm. Here come the rotten tomatoes!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump for a question @Tricia Does the Atomic Vantage have a built in heel lift? I read something to that effect somewhere, and I do not want that!
@Philpug I assume that the Liberty VMT models are new and are different from the V80W or V87W? I am hoping to demo next month in Mammoth. Also, while I recognize that there is no unicorn of skis, I am hoping for a frontside friendly ski that will also help me to improve in moguls. Any further suggestions?
I have added the Dynastar Legend 84 and the Volkl Flair 81 to my list.
Yes, the the new VMT's are different animals to the V80/V87's.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS Uschi 87 Foundation Cassiar

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski , I just read Tricia's comments in another thread about Rossi Experience 88W being a lot of fun in bumps and trees in another thread. If you're looking for narrower than 88 underfoot, I enjoyed my Fischer 80's a lot at Snowmass/Aspen. Call/text me if you want to chat.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mantra Jr. 158 cm. Here come the rotten tomatoes!
No rotten tomatoes here. I love Volkl, but I think I would go for the Secret if I was looking at the Mantra Jr. I have the 90eights so I think I am looking for something with a shorter turn radius.

@Pat AKA mustski , I just read Tricia's comments in another thread about Rossi Experience 88W being a lot of fun in bumps and trees in another thread. If you're looking for narrower than 88 underfoot, I enjoyed my Fischer 80's a lot at Snowmass/Aspen. Call/text me if you want to chat.
Yes, I saw that and have added it to my maybe demo list. I think I want something even narrower 80-82ish. I will definitely give you a call to hear about the Fischers. Remind me which ones you have?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa Ana 88, just demo them if you can even if they don't quite fit the bill. They are SO easy to turn, but SO stable.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m a Rossi guy Pat and will have my wife on the Experience 84 or 88 by the end of the year but with that being said on paper I can’t imagine a more perfect ski for Mammoth than the the new 88 Black Pearl.
Remember with our typical conditions you can get away with a little fatter ski ski at Mammoth.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m a Rossi guy Pat and will have my wife on the Experience 84 or 88 by the end of the year but with that being said on paper I can’t imagine a more perfect ski for Mammoth than the the new 88 Black Pearl.
Remember with our typical conditions you can get away with a little fatter ski ski at Mammoth.
My 90eights fill the daily driver at Mammoth slot. It's been my daily driver pretty much most of the season. I love that ski, but I am looking to replace my Hell's Belles and want to go narrower. I'm looking for something for Big Bear - frontside skiing which is mostly groomers. I want something that has a shorter turn radius and is quicker edge to edge that can still handle a bit of slush. It doesn't need to be strong in the slushy stuff, just get me back to the parking lot at the end of the day. We usually quit when it gets sloppy or sticky. I plan to go shorter than usual and hope for something that will help me improve in bumps also. In the end though ... I want a fun, quick groomer zoomer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS Alchemist 79 is a fun frontside plaything.

19-a-c-79-tc-png.46443

DPS Cassiar Alchemist 79 "The Trainer"

Dimensions: 123-79-106
Radius: 12.5m@160cm
Sizes: 160, 167
Sizes tested: 160, 167
Design: All New
Weight: 1380g/ski@160cm, 1445g/ski@167cm

Philpug: This is a ski that I did not expect from DPS; in fact, just looking at it, neither would you. Not so much that the 79mm width isn't what you would expect, but the way the ski reacts on hard snow is what really surprised me, the Trainer is a scalpel of a hard snow ski.
  • Who is it for? The nonconformist.
  • Who is it not for? While this is called The Trainer, some might still want something traditional.
  • Insider tip: Yes, the 167 is the longest available currently; it is adult-sized.

Tricia: If I were to make a top 5 list of skis that blew me away this past season, this would be No. 1. Coming from a company like DPS, which has built its reputation on top-quality powder skis, I didn’t know what to expect when they told me to try what they referred to as The Trainer -- but I didn’t expect what I got, which was a playful, snappy ski that turned on a dime and flew through the moguls. The only conditions in which I didn’t feel like it excelled were heavy Sierra snow; that’s when the Cassiar 79 got pushed around.

This is the ski that will make you rethink DPS as just a powder and off-piste ski company and know them as a ski company that knows how to make quality skis for the entire mountain. I skied this ski in both offered lengths; I tend to prefer the 167 length, but the 160 was just as fun.

I liken this ski to the sexy librarian: she looks very serious, but isready take off the glasses and show her naughty side.
  • Who is it for? Any skier looking for a playful ski that seriously carves.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who just wants to straightline.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overthink the sizing.

Sponsor