• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still kinda surprised you didn't pickup a pair of blue 112 dps.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Santa Ana will be more versatile and better in the cut up crud and powder. They were definitely more maneuverable for me, plus the whole price thing--brand new for under $500 with bindings, or beat to hell for $700 used.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the Santa Ana will be more versatile and better in the cut up crud and powder. They were definitely more maneuverable for me, plus the whole price thing--brand new for under $500 with bindings, or beat to hell for $700 used.
The Santa Ana is one of @Tricia's favorite soft snow skis.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honestly, as much as I like the Yvette, I think the Santa Ana is a better choice for Amy at this time.
Its plenty playful and Amy has expressed some fatigue in her knee/leg that she injured last year that a 112mm ski may not be ideal for at the moment.

I'm really impressed with how well the Santa Ana handles deep snow.

That being said, I can't wait to get on the Zelda (106) :D

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, as much as I like the Yvette, I think the Santa Ana is a better choice for Amy at this time.
Its plenty playful and Amy has expressed some fatigue in her knee/leg that she injured last year that a 112mm ski may not be ideal for at the moment.

I'm really impressed with how well the Santa Ana handles deep snow.

That being said, I can't wait to get on the Zelda (106) :D
Yes, the wider skis do aggravate my knee, and the Yvette was no exception. To be fair, the difficult snow doesn't help, either.
I'm SO glad to hear it handles deep snow well, too, as that is where I am wanting to venture more!
And the Zelda?? Do tell!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm getting on the Zelda this week.
To be fair, I did try it at Mammoth but the snow wasn't very deep and the tune was 'off'. I will be on a well tuned Zelda soon!

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0737.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
To be fair, the difficult snow doesn't help, either.

FWIW ..

Yesterday, after a couple of glorious powder runs, instructor Jenn said, "If you're not feeling it right now, you're a better skier than me!" (or words to that effect). Powder adds resistance, which makes skiing more work, even if you're doing everything right.

Later in the day, I commented that I found the cut up snow more difficult than untracked powder. "Yeah, no shit!"

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW ..

Yesterday, after a couple of glorious powder runs, instructor Jenn said, "If you're not feeling it right now, you're a better skier than me!" (or words to that effect). Powder adds resistance, which makes skiing more work, even if you're doing everything right.

Later in the day, I commented that I found the cut up snow more difficult than untracked powder. "Yeah, no shit!"

I beg to differ. "Powder" isn't difficult snow. Cut-up snow, crud, concrete, whatever, but not "powder" (-- cue discussion on definition of "powder").

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I beg to differ. "Powder" isn't difficult snow. Cut-up snow, crud, concrete, whatever, but not "powder" (-- cue discussion on definition of "powder").
Okay.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup.
This lends itself to the discussion I was having with Phil earlier this week.
- I wish I could relive the huge snow year we had when I first moved to Tahoe, with the skills I have now.

Heck, I'll probably have a similar discussion a few years from now about reliving some amazing ski days with fresh skills.

Sierra powder was definitely interesting for this Michigan girl to cut her teeth on(in)

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm getting on the Zelda this week.
To be fair, I did try it at Mammoth but the snow wasn't very deep and the tune was 'off'. I will be on a well tuned Zelda soon!
Who makes the Zelda?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And define "difficult". More physically challenging just by way of more quad work due to the resistance? I'd say yes, more challenging than smooth groomers for sure. But more challenging than crud and cut up stuff? No, I don't think so.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I find Backcountry Powder in good condition (mid winter, cold) to be very easy to ski. I can go all day given the right skis.

Resort skiing is most of the time much harder on the body. One has to deal with chopped up snow and a base under which can be scratchy if the snow followed a long period of dry weather never mind dealing with moguls and ruts made by high skier traffic. Also one has to deal with other people on the hill. Only times where the resort skiing is pretty easy is #1 On freshly groomed runs #2 Plenty of untouched blower powder to cover anything under (this might only last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or two at a resort) #3 Wind buffed or windblown snow on high alpine bowls (pretty common at the places I frequent, Loveland, A Basin, Breck)

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I just got new Intuition Pro Tongue liners baked and fitted last night. I have a feeling my issues with getting wider skis on edge will be drastically reduced with these liners. Holy cow the fit around my ankles and arches/instep is light years better than with the stock liners, and I actually like them better than the Zipfits, I think. I am hyper hyper HYPER mobile and have always had issues with my narrow feet rolling around in even a fairly tight shell fit boot. I think the stiffness of these liners along with the tight fit could help counteract some of that movement of my joints. I'll report back after I ski them tomorrow, and I'll also report back after I ski the new Santa Anas, which should be on Thursday :D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, I just got new Intuition Pro Tongue liners baked and fitted last night. I have a feeling my issues with getting wider skis on edge will be drastically reduced with these liners. Holy cow the fit around my ankles and arches/instep is light years better than with the stock liners, and I actually like them better than the Zipfits, I think. I am hyper hyper HYPER mobile and have always had issues with my narrow feet rolling around in even a fairly tight shell fit boot. I think the stiffness of these liners along with the tight fit could help counteract some of that movement of my joints. I'll report back after I ski them tomorrow, and I'll also report back after I ski the new Santa Anas, which should be on Thursday :D

I have probably 120+ days on my Intuition Wrap liners, and I am still very happy. I periodically have had to bring them in for adjustments. I thought they were shot early this season, but my fitter put a 3mm platform under my entire foot, and it's been heaven ever since.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have probably 120+ days on my Intuition Wrap liners, and I am still very happy. I periodically have had to bring them in for adjustments. I thought they were shot early this season, but my fitter put a 3mm platform under my entire foot, and it's been heaven ever since.
Apparently the Pro Tongue is made of the densest material they offer, so are less prone to packing, which I'm very happy about. I'll also be very happy if they are, in fact, warmer than the stock liners. I will say, they are stiff and not exactly like a comfy, warm hug. It's going to be interesting to see how they feel in the cold and for an entire day.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Apparently the Pro Tongue is made of the densest material they offer, so are less prone to packing, which I'm very happy about. I'll also be very happy if they are, in fact, warmer than the stock liners. I will say, they are stiff and not exactly like a comfy, warm hug. It's going to be interesting to see how they feel in the cold and for an entire day.

I am 100 million percent sure you will find them warmer than both stock and zipfit.

Sponsor

Staff online