• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Of crud-slaying 100mm wide-ish skis that are fun in powder up to a foot or so. I'll consider up to 110mm wide that could replace my Savory 7's.

There is a big demo day at Snowbasin this Saturday that I am thinking of hitting. The unfortunate thing is the forecast is not looking good for the conditions I want this ski for (leftovers, particularly heavy spring leftovers.)

I am still learning to handle heavy crud/chop so skis like the Samba, which I own and know kill this stuff, are too much in it for me as they are too directional and fight me when I ski slowly and make a lot of turns.

I find that the Savory 7's get tossed around in it (and are rather long for me at 170cm, which in reality is 172cm.)

I have 2016 Kenjas and love them in everything BUT the heavy leftovers. They are just too stiff. So, I guess I am looking for the tweener ski that will go between the Kenjas at 90 under foot, and the Savory 7's, which are 106 under foot and may end up being sold if I can find a ski that handles powder and leftovers well.

I prefer smooth, stable skis that have a shorter turn radius and won't spank me for making a mistake or getting in the back seat.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Century 102 or 109 (or Automatic, men's version but also comes in short sizes). Völkl 108 W.

Crud performance + fun/playful can be a tough one. That Atomic did a darn good job at it, but I didn't have it in spring crud, just cold winter crud. I find that the Völkl does a great job if you get it on edge ... it just knifes through stuff. Gotta get it up, though. Don't worry about the width, it doesn't feel like 108 in all the other stuff. I skied it all day Tuesday, from groomers to trees to leftovers to about a foot of soft powder, really a super-versatile ski. I'm not sure how "playful" it is, really, that would be more the Atomic. But it's worth a demo if you can find it.

Last edited:

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
You've been following my demo "drama" though I didn't go much beyond the 100mm territory.

Based on my demo of the Sin 7 I think nearly any other ski in this category will be more stable/damp than your Savory 7's, so this goal is a no-brainer. OTOH - I didn't have much love for the Atomic Automatic 102's (they preferred a long turn radius and felt cumbersome), or the Volkl 90Eights (they have a similarly stiff flex to the 100Eights though are a tad softer than your Kenja's). So we've got a battle royale here between what SBrown can ski (and what I can't) vs. the friendlier skis that I can handle - bring it on ;). Putting that aside....

Personally I wouldn't go with something as wide as 110mm (that's pretty much an all-day deep-pow width for us lightweights), though I have no reason to contradict what SBrown said about the 100Eight's (other than saying that I found the 170cm version too stiff - they weren't disobedient nor did the tails "spank" me, they just wouldn't flex into an arc under my weight). Otherwise you know I'm recommending the NRGy 100's but I also liked the Atomic Vantage 95C (both women's and men's versions are identical other than the graphics). Others to consider are the Armada TST (men's or women's versions are identical except for the graphics, though I didn't try 'em due to the 102mm width & huge/soft tip rocker but many here love 'em), Solly Q-98/Lumen (men's/women's - I tried the 172cm Q-98 which were nice other than the hooky tail), Nordica Santa Ana's (I didn't try 'em, though many women here seem to like/love 'em and it should be more obedient than the Samba's but they have a very soft flex), maybe the K2 Pinnacle 95/105 (though I couldn't get the 95's tips to initiate a carve, but YMMV), and it surely is worth trying the skis that SBrown recommends (if only to see who's "right" about these skis;)). Lots o' choices....

The above 95-100mm skis that I tried/liked were all great in 6-12" of fresh snow that became baked & crudded through the day (they were obedient at any speed and turn radius), and were much better than my 110mm S7's (which are similar to your Savory 7's) once the snow became fairly tracked. I'm praying that this next storm will come sooner (there's is a bit of snow forecast for here on Sat which I'd hope means snow for you Fri eve.), so hopefully you can do the demo - it'll tell you a lot:crossfingers:

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Is not a 110mm ski for a light skier good for 3 feet of powder?
We only go to like 146mm.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is not a 110mm ski for a light skier good for 3 feet of powder?
We only go to like 146mm.
Yes, yes it is, so honestly, I could get away with 100 or even 95 and be happy as a pig in...powder! With the right flex, of course.

@SBrown, did you ski the Volkl 90Eight?

@ski-ra, I demoed the Lumen's (albeit too short) and hated them. It was puking snow that day, and the runs were cut up, and I felt like I was going to get launched. I think the stability of the Sambas has spoiled me. Heck, maybe I just need them in a 159 vs.166. But then they'd lose that extra bit of float. I, too, don't like a ski with a vague tip, which I think is one thing I love about the Kenjas. They hook up and rail so easily (at least, as much as I can rail turns these days!)

Santa Ana's are on the list.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With all due respect, that Atomic does not need a long turn radius. Maybe there was something funky with it, but ask @SkiNurse, that's what she skis all the time (the Century) and she hasn't made a long-radius turn in 20 years. I skied the 109, not the 102, and it was unbelievably nimble. Just demo it and see what you think.

I did ski the 90eight, but almost exclusively on groomers. At SIA, they only had a 184, so I just went really fast on it, and then I demoed a 177 at Snowmass, but it was on a day that I was struggling with my knees, and I stayed on groomers mostly again. Really really fun on groomers, I can tell you that. Maybe not different enough from your Samba, though?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
With all due respect, that Atomic does not need a long turn radius. Maybe there was something funky with it, but ask @SkiNurse, that's what she skis all the time (the Century) and she hasn't made a long-radius turn in 20 years. I skied the 109, not the 102, and it was unbelievably nimble. Just demo it and see what you think.

I did ski the 90eight, but almost exclusively on groomers. At SIA, they only had a 184, so I just went really fast on it, and then I demoed a 177 at Snowmass, but it was on a day that I was struggling with my knees, and I stayed on groomers mostly again. Really really fun on groomers, I can tell you that. Maybe not different enough from your Samba, though?
She speaks the truth..well, I do make slightly bigger radius turns on my LXs. :golfclap:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

LOL, well, I also like shorter radius turns (or at least medium) especially on steeper stuff, so the 102's will go on the list :)

The turn radius on the Santa Ana intrigues me a lot.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, maybe I need to hunt down a pair of Fischer Motive 95's in a shorter length...my husband skis them almost exclusively now, in everything but deep powder.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, well, I also like shorter radius turns (or at least medium) especially on steeper stuff, so the 102's will go on the list :)

The turn radius on the Santa Ana intrigues me a lot.
Be less concerned with the number of the sidecut and be more concerned how the ski flexed.

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
@ski-ra, I demoed the Lumen's (albeit too short) and hated them. It was puking snow that day, and the runs were cut up, and I felt like I was going to get launched. I think the stability of the Sambas has spoiled me. Heck, maybe I just need them in a 159 vs.166. But then they'd lose that extra bit of float. I, too, don't like a ski with a vague tip, which I think is one thing I love about the Kenjas. They hook up and rail so easily (at least, as much as I can rail turns these days!)....
Well at least the Lumen is one less ski you need to think about demo'ing...I'm just throwing out suggestions based on what worked well for me. Anyway, I hear what you're saying about the Samba's (and Kenja's) spoiling you, but finding a ski that obediently floats/smears nicely through crud/pow (i.e., without too much muscle and/or speed) may mean that you'll need to give up some of this "Samba/Kenja" envy. It can't hurt to give this a try while demo'ing even if I my suggestions end up being way off-base. Given my recent demo days "drama" I can't wait to hear how it goes for you - good luck.:popcorn:

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe there was something funky with it, but ask @SkiNurse, that's what she skis all the time (the Century) and she hasn't made a long-radius turn in 20 years.

Hmmm.. Now that you mention it I never seen her make one. Well! I'd say we should work on that but you know how that would go. Might drive her to true hermit levels. Plus there's all that ammo via Fedex and ups. Yeah she's just fine...Still, I can't wait to mention it. :cool::eek:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Of crud-slaying 100mm wide-ish skis that are fun in powder up to a foot or so. I'll consider up to 110mm wide that could replace my Savory 7's.

There is a big demo day at Snowbasin this Saturday that I am thinking of hitting. The unfortunate thing is the forecast is not looking good for the conditions I want this ski for (leftovers, particularly heavy spring leftovers.)

I am still learning to handle heavy crud/chop so skis like the Samba, which I own and know kill this stuff, are too much in it for me as they are too directional and fight me when I ski slowly and make a lot of turns.

I find that the Savory 7's get tossed around in it (and are rather long for me at 170cm, which in reality is 172cm.)

I have 2016 Kenjas and love them in everything BUT the heavy leftovers. They are just too stiff. So, I guess I am looking for the tweener ski that will go between the Kenjas at 90 under foot, and the Savory 7's, which are 106 under foot and may end up being sold if I can find a ski that handles powder and leftovers well.

I prefer smooth, stable skis that have a shorter turn radius and won't spank me for making a mistake or getting in the back seat.

I would definitely try the Santa Ana's and La Nina's also the Moment Sierra if you can find one.

Dont rule out a ski just because it is wide. Some will surprise you with their quickness and versatility.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Ken! I hope Moment will be at the event tomorrow. I'm rather fond of the name Sierra, anyway, so that'll be an easy one to remember.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the Santa Ana is a no-brainer here, I should have mentioned it, too.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Samba-esque, but with a little more "playful, friendly" side?

Sure. I only skied it in winter crud (I only skied the Samba in winter crud, too), but its performance was surprising for its lightness. Then again, I thought the Samba was super quick when I skied it -- but bear in mind that it was a 173, which is a relatively short ski for me. The Santa Ana has a smaller turning radius, for sure, though.

That said ... back to your first post, you already have a great ski for heavy crud/chop, because it is more directional. I would spend the time on learning to not make lots of little turns, that's just not the best way to ski crud. (Well, unless you're on a nice heavy stiff slalom ski, and I don't think that's what you're looking for.) Use longer turns to go through the snow; shorter turns get you too sideways, which is exactly what makes crud difficult. Take those Sambas out and just ski em. Heck, the Kenjas, too -- imo there's no such thing as too stiff for crud! But there is too slow, and too hesitant. Crud won't let you do that. You already have the great core balance that you need, from riding. That's vital, when you get tossed around (which is what happens to everyone in crud).

http://www.epicski.com/a/crudology-by-bob-barnes

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure. I only skied it in winter crud (I only skied the Samba in winter crud, too), but its performance was surprising for its lightness. Then again, I thought the Samba was super quick when I skied it -- but bear in mind that it was a 173, which is a relatively short ski for me. The Santa Ana has a smaller turning radius, for sure, though.

That said ... back to your first post, you already have a great ski for heavy crud/chop, because it is more directional. I would spend the time on learning to not make lots of little turns, that's just not the best way to ski crud. (Well, unless you're on a nice heavy stiff slalom ski, and I don't think that's what you're looking for.) Use longer turns to go through the snow; shorter turns get you too sideways, which is exactly what makes crud difficult. Take those Sambas out and just ski em. Heck, the Kenjas, too -- imo there's no such thing as too stiff for crud! But there is too slow, and too hesitant. Crud won't let you do that. You already have the great core balance that you need, from riding. That's vital, when you get tossed around (which is what happens to everyone in crud).

http://www.epicski.com/a/crudology-by-bob-barnes

Thanks, @SBrown, That's me to a T--I get really hesitant, and if I crash or start getting tossed too much, I literally panic. I don't know how to turn that part of my brain off. I do fine-ish in the fluffier stuff, it's this spring stuff that just grabs my skis and dictates the direction of them that I'm struggling with. My liners have also started packing, which I don't think is helping at all. Call in to get Intuitions has been made.

I have watched the Crudology video and I just have a hard time applying my OWN skiing to it. This sure is a lifelong challenging sport.

Sponsor

Staff online