• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose the best ski photo

Which makes me look the best? ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 36.4%

Votes: 13 59.1%

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife started getting friendly with the local ski photo folks and got a thumb drive so we could get more pics of the family skiing at a decent price. I don't usually ski by the photo guys when they are doing their thing as they are on the groomers, but I deliberately did so yesterday. I don't look at a lot of ski photos. To your probably-more-experienced eyes, which of these is the best? I was trying to do some quick turns in front of him so I'm not super happy with my posture. Maybe need more practice. Wife wants to get a full set of the family printed on metal and I need to pick one of these or do another attempt. Call them 1-4 from the top down.

D3R_1522.jpg
D3R_1523.jpg
D3R_1524.jpg
D3R_1526.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Voted for 2: Reasons
- 2: Highline Ridge looks steeper in the background
- 2 or 3: bases are showing, without back end of the ski deeper in the snow.
- 2: a little more angulation than the others
- 2: pole is active (even if it is not a "Taos pole plant")
- 1 or 2: you are looking at the camera

Do you need to match a scale to the other family pictures -- i.e. how much of the picture is the skier and how much is background? Scale gets progressively larger from 1 through 4 (not surprising, since you were approaching the camera).

Just read sibhusky's remarks -- yeah, get another batch to choose from unless you are under time pressure.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
No rush really, plenty more ski days this year. I think it's worth another shot for sure. Doesn't cost anything more if I don't buy the next set.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any pointers on how to do better? Big angulation? I had to flag the guy with a pole wave so I didn't have too much momentum to start with, maybe should just try and make the turns in front of him and hope he decides to shoot them?

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Of course my 10y/o nailed hers lol
D3R_1529.jpg

except the inside ski lift here this is my favorite
D3R_1528.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any pointers on how to do better? Big angulation? I had to flag the guy with a pole wave so I didn't have too much momentum to start with, maybe should just try and make the turns in front of him and hope he decides to shoot them?

Hands up more, a little more leg flex, make it look more dynamic.

I voted for 2... more people have picked 3, but the guy in the background kills it for me. A lot of folks don't notice stuff like that though. YMMV.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, all of the pictures of you and your daughter have the people underexposed. The detail on the snow comes out very nicely, but you are mostly just a dark blob.

I know it is difficult to handle the huge dynamic range, but I would expect a bit more of someone whose job is to take pictures.

The second one of you and the second one of your daughter are the least bad in this regard.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, all of the pictures of you and your daughter have the people underexposed. The detail on the snow comes out very nicely, but you are mostly just a dark blob.

I know it is difficult to handle the huge dynamic range, but I would expect a bit more of someone whose job is to take pictures.

The second one of you and the second one of your daughter are the least bad in this regard.

I'm sure these are quick and not fully processed. Easy enough to bring that up in post - if you blow out the snow you might be screwed, but a little underexposed for snow texture works well generally. (Though it looks like they've got quite a bit of room to avoid blowing the snow out - with changing light conditions due to clouds they may err on the side of caution though.)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure these are quick and not fully processed. Easy enough to bring that up in post - if you blow out the snow you might be screwed, but a little underexposed for snow texture works well generally. (Though it looks like they've got quite a bit of room to avoid blowing the snow out - with changing light conditions due to clouds they may err on the side of caution though.)

The last time I purchased an on-mountain photo they still used film. You bought one at Taos, right? Did they show you proofs and then fix the one you bought?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time I purchased an on-mountain photo they still used film. You bought one at Taos, right? Did they show you proofs and then fix the one you bought?

They have it all online... if you skied past one of them you can go find yourself. And yes I bought one :

D3R_0791.JPG

Looks pretty good to me.... and here's the histogram :

upload_2019-2-18_23-12-0.png

No way to know if that's how it was exposed, or if fixed in post.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Your face still looks a little dark to me.
In this modern age of authenticity, is it considered bad form to selectively change the exposure in one area? ("dodging" and "burning").
I wouldn't expect the to do that for a mass-market, but you could do it yourself.
(Admission - half the time when I start adjusting, I go too far and have reset and start over.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Your face still looks a little dark to me.
In this modern age of authenticity, is it considered bad form to selectively change the exposure in one area? ("dodging" and "burning").
I wouldn't expect the to do that for a mass-market, but you could do it yourself.
(Admission - half the time when I start adjusting, I go too far and have reset and start over.)
Just guessing, but I doubt that they would do spot work, and may have some canned routines. There were thousands of photos taken, several of each person passing by - no time to examine each individually.

For something like Brock is doing with a package, maybe they'd do a bit more?

Or you can always do it on your own... easy with the right tools :)

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
We got TIFs and JPEGs, I don't know that they do any tuning, I wasn't there when they were picked up. I can certainly rebalance them a bit, was concerned firstly with the content.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If they gave you the jpgs, you might even be able to remove the guy in the third pic. If nothing else give him a new coat color so he is not so noticeable.

Stunned that they'd give you the files.

But I'd take another pass before doing any serious "fixing".