• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys, thanks for all the content you put out here. It's a great source of information. I spend a lot of time here lately.
My question is as follows:
I'm a 5'10" 240-pound nearly-advanced groomer skier, strong and fairly athletic despite my weight (I do hit the gym, squat and deadlift north of 400 pounds). I found that my Rossi Bandit 80s are failing me at speed and for stability and I'm trying to choose my next ski. As I only do groomers for now, I saw a GREAT deal and pulled the trigger on a pair of Kastle MX89s at 180 cm and well, this was a lesson and a half for me. I lack the ability to fully control these skis. I took them out twice and found that I while can carve really well at speed, I have trouble releasing the tail in the middle of a fast turn - when in need to unexpectedly make the turn tighter or slower. I can use my strenght for that but this method fails after a few hours of skiing... I had three near-misses yesterday. Hell, I nearly crashed into a kid at some 50 mph and decided to return the skis.
Sorry for the long background. I'm looking for something just a smidge easier to control and more forgiving, maybe a little tighter radius, too. Also, I want to try going off-piste to see how I fare there. My shortlist as of now includes the Nordica Enforcers 93 (or waiting for the 88) and Blizzard Rustler 9. I think both around 180 cm in length. Am I missing some obvious model? What can you recommend based on what I wrote? Any help will be greatly appreciated as is all other input, even bashing for buying a ski above my ability.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As you found out, some stiffer full camber skis don't love skidding turns or quickly changing turn shapes which is fine for a lot of people and not for others. Hopefully since you got them at a deal you weren't out much money for trying them out and learning they weren't for you.

Enforcer 93 is always a great all mountain recommendation as would be the new K2 Mindbender 90Ti. Both these skis are easier to ski and would allow all turn shapes on the fly and wouldn't be as locked into a turn like the Kastle. Both can be serious or playful depending on the skiers mood. The Enforcer 88 is stiffer and more on piste oriented so the E93 might be the better bet if you wanted more off piste versatility.
Any ski with rocker will ski a bit shorter, so I'd think your size would be better suited to a mid 180cm size ski. The Rustler 9 is a great ski but I think the 180cm size might be too short and 188cm might feel too long, so maybe a demo on both might be in order on that ski on both sizes. The Enforcer 93 185cm or Mindbender 90Ti 184cm would have a longer length and a little more weight than the Rustler 9 so might be a better bet. Both skis would do very well on piste and would allow you to head off piste as well.

So maybe demo first if you can the Mindbender, the Enforcer and the 2 sizes of Rustler 9 to see if any are to your liking.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 240 pounds, you might consider the 185 Enforcer 100 instead of the Enforcer 93. This is a ski that will grow with you. It covers a HUGE spectrum of abilities, snow types and speeds.

IMO, the Rustler isn't "enough" ski for a 240 pounder.

Poland rules!!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
At 240 pounds, you might consider the 185 Enforcer 100 instead of the Enforcer 93. This is a ski that will grow with you. It covers a HUGE spectrum of abilities, snow types and speeds.

Poland rules!!!

All the Enforcers are great, user friendly skis but they actually get stiffer as you from the 100 to the 93 and the stiffest and most powerful Enforcer is the new 88. At 240 pounds any one in the 185/186cm length will be easy to bend though.

So I’d say get the width that suits the conditions you most often see. Mostly firmer groomers-88, groomers and some off piste-93 and a greater mix of off piste and all mountain-100.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
Hey, I appreciate bringing the Mindbender to my attention - looks like a great ski.
I doubt I'll be able to demo anything really. This sucks in Poland. I'll need to go with my gut and trust I made the right choice or have to sell the skis. This is why E93 is top of my list - I may be able to get them used for cheaper with no/small loss at resale.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Poland rules!!!
I second both statements. 220# 6' here and the 185 Enforcer 100 is pretty much my reference ski to compare everything against. Absolutely love how versatile and accessible it is.

I also own the Rustler 9 in 180.. to me it is a timid ski that is most at home on soft groomers and oh my it is superbly fun on soft groomers. I have had trouble with it when the snow gets hard or if I try to do anything in cut up snow at a decent speed. I might have liked them more if I got the 188, but I didn't... oh well. They will be for sale as soon as the season is over.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
I can also get the 2019 Salomon QST 92 185 cm for good money, so that's also an option. Does anyone have any experience with those?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I second both statements. 220# 6' here and the 185 Enforcer 100 is pretty much my reference ski to compare everything against. Absolutely love how versatile and accessible it is.

I also own the Rustler 9 in 180.. to me it is a timid ski that is most at home on soft groomers and oh my it is superbly fun on soft groomers. I have had trouble with it when the snow gets hard or if I try to do anything in cut up snow at a decent speed. I might have liked them more if I got the 188, but I didn't... oh well. They will be for sale as soon as the season is over.

Sounds like a tuning issue in that Rustler 9 like mine and many others have had on Rustler skis. Very commonly base high which causes them to feel sketchy especially when you ski mixed conditions and harder snow. Had mine ground flat and tuned sharp tip/tail with a 1/3 tune and they were transformed. I average 45-55mph with mine and they hit 60mph daily without issue. More of a quick, agile, less forgiving carver than the Enforcer. I find that it is very fun even at lower speeds but doesn’t have the weight or dampness for crud like an Enforcer but if kept on edge, can haul over rougher terrain better than most skis near its weight. The Rustler 9 would be an AMAZING ski if it was another 100-150grams heavier. Still lighter and more playful than a Brahma but not as big of a drop in performance in crud.
The 188cm would be more stable of course but they wouldn’t be as accessible as the 180cm version or a 185cm Enforcer 100.

I bet you would be surprised how much better they are after a base grind and tune.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can also get the 2019 Salomon QST 92 185 cm for good money, so that's also an option. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Good ski but will lack the weight and versatility of a ski like the Enforcer. More of a lighter, more playful softer snow biased ski. More similar to the Rustler 9 than the Enforcer I think.

Every 2018/19 ski will be on HUGE deals as the Spring sales start everywhere soon. 30-40% off retail is very common as places trying to unload skis before the season ends.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
Yep, I'm pretty much dead set on the Enforcers now. Thanks for all the help. Although, I admit I thought I need the 177 rather than 185 and will now have to reconsider this.

I'm thinking about getting a pair from Germany, as the sale already started and the price is fairy manageable. Just need to get some decent bindings, too.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, I'm pretty much dead set on the Enforcers now. Thanks for all the help. Although, I admit I thought I need the 177 rather than 185 and will now have to reconsider this.

I'm thinking about getting a pair from Germany, as the sale already started and the price is fairy manageable. Just need to get some decent bindings, too.

For your size and the fact that the Enforcer has rocker and a more forward mount, 185cm should be the right fit for you. Anyone over 200lbs should be on the 185cm regardless of height.

Pivots are the refererence standard bindings in performance but they a little heavier, more money and have less boot size adjustability. The best “bang for the buck” binding out there is the Tyrolia Attack2 13 Binding which offer light weight, easy entry/exit and fantastic performance at a great price. Pivots if you have the $$, Attack2 13 if you don’t.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
I just got Atomic FFG Team 14 bindings from a friend for free, these will suffice, I think?
Thanks for all the help, I'll make this work for next season, maybe even a test run earlier.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
I feel like an asshole for even asking, but what the hell, you've been nice to me so far.

I read someone smart saying: "Buy a ski for the terrain you ski, not the one you want to ski". Realistically, I'll spend at least 90% of the time on groomers next year and will try to increase off-piste time in subsequent years if I find it fun and have the opportunity to do so. With that in mind - final question: I can get the E93 or the Nordica Navigator 90 for the same price, Navigator 85 slightly cheaper. Should I consider the Navigators rather than the Enforcer? 2020's E88 is out of the question for now, it will be beyond my budget.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I just got Atomic FFG Team 14 bindings from a friend for free, these will suffice, I think?
Thanks for all the help, I'll make this work for next season, maybe even a test run earlier.

As long as you've got boots with regular alpine soles you're golden. The FFG 14 is the same as the STH14. Very solid binding.

May clash with your E93s though.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
As long as you've got boots with regular alpine soles you're golden.

I'm moving to Atomic Hawx Magna 130s due to serious issues with the fit of my current boots. Regular Alpine soles.
And I love the look of the FFG Team (green/orange), they will look good on anything.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I feel like an asshole for even asking, but what the hell, you've been nice to me so far.

I read someone smart saying: "Buy a ski for the terrain you ski, not the one you want to ski". Realistically, I'll spend at least 90% of the time on groomers next year and will try to increase off-piste time in subsequent years if I find it fun and have the opportunity to do so. With that in mind - final question: I can get the E93 or the Nordica Navigator 90 for the same price, Navigator 85 slightly cheaper. Should I consider the Navigators rather than the Enforcer? 2020's E88 is out of the question for now, it will be beyond my budget.

The Navigator 85 is softer flexing so I’d rule that one out and just consider the Navigator 90 or Enforcer 93.

When someone says “buy the skis for the terrain you ski, not the terrain you want to ski” it’s a good reminder of not buying super wide powder skis you only ski on groomers in areas of low snowfall. Or in your case, considering an Enforcer 110 instead of the more suitable Enforcer 93 and Navigator 90. The E93 or Nav 90 would be perfect for skiing mostly groomers and the occasional trip off piste.

The Navigator has a flatter and more square tail so it’s going to be a bit more “locked into” a turn shape with maybe a hair more power than the Enforcer which will be easier to modify turn shapes and release from a turn. Enforcer a bit heavier so crud performance should be better.
Either one is great, just flavored a bit different.

Navigator 90 a touch more of a carver and the Enforcer 93 a touch more forgiving and versatile. Enforcer 88 replaces the Navigator 90 next year.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m 6’3” 215 kbs expert skier from UT. The enforcer 93 in a 185 is my daily driver. It skis beautifully on groomers and is a ton of fun off piste. I can ski it in really anything up to 10” of fresh.

Having said that, if you are 90% piste skier but are looking to explore what things are like off trail, I think the enforcer 93 is a great choice. Puts the “all mountain” in an all mountain ski.

I know everyone’s budget is different, and I’m not recommending you break the bank, but a ski is a durable good and an important piece of equipment. Don’t buy a ski, like the navigator, if it’s a few bucks cheaper than the ski you really want (enforcer 93). Youll have this ski for years so it’s a worthy investment. But, like I said, your budget is your budget, so if it comes down to cost, get the one that makes the most sense for your wallet but if getting the ski you want won’t kill your bank account, go for it.

TS
S

szyroki

Booting up
Skier
I know everyone’s budget is different, and I’m not recommending you break the bank, but a ski is a durable good and an important piece of equipment. Don’t buy a ski, like the navigator, if it’s a few bucks cheaper than the ski you really want (enforcer 93). Youll have this ski for years so it’s a worthy investment. But, like I said, your budget is your budget, so if it comes down to cost, get the one that makes the most sense for your wallet but if getting the ski you want won’t kill your bank account, go for it.

I found a decent deal on the Enforcer 93 and 100 (some people here want me to believe this is the way to go, reason being - on-piste performance won't be much different for a guy my size and the 100 will be more versatile). I'll be deciding tomorrow between the two, then. Although the 100 still seems a tad wide for groomers. I think I'll be happy with either one, the difference in price is like 30 bucks.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I found a decent deal on the Enforcer 93 and 100 (some people here want me to believe this is the way to go, reason being - on-piste performance won't be much different for a guy my size and the 100 will be more versatile). I'll be deciding tomorrow between the two, then. Although the 100 still seems a tad wide for groomers. I think I'll be happy with either one, the difference in price is like 30 bucks.

93 is the better choice for your needs for sure as it’s quicker edge to edge and has a stiffer tail so it’s a better carver. Will still be very good for the occasional off piste adventure and if you REALLY start liking off piste more in the future, you can get a dedicated powder ski as a second ski. No compromises then.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a 93 guy, but go 100 if you want.

I am reminded of a comment I read in one of the PugSki reviews about the 93 and the "insider tip" was the 93 is a better ski for Colorado inbounds conditions than the 100. I fully endorse that statement.

Sponsor