• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me build up my old road frame

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure, well familiar with the Zaffiro Pro.

Oh, and if that's the widest you've ever had on your road bike, welcome to the new cornering which is not your '90s cornering and WELCOME to the "Is my pressure really right?" game :geek: :ogbiggrin: :roflmao:
Well, narrow tyres or not, I don’t corner like I used to, anyways. :rolleyes: I don’t descend like I used to, either.
Remember, I did get mountain bike bars and an upright stem.
I still love climbing intervals and sprints, though. ogsmile

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
John Ireland at Sleeping Dog Cycles in Oley, PA.
His shop is in a shed in his back yard, after years of owning a larger high end shop.
He is top-notch and wonderful to work with. If you know anyone in eastern PA, send them his way.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Funny story.... maybe a deacde ago I was in our home town. I found an old sponsor bike of mine sitting in a garage. Someone had painted it with a can of purple spray paint. Its Campy SR components covered with purple paint.

I took possession of it and literally spent thousands restoring it, including purchasing NIB SR components, to replace those components that were too far gone. I spent $350 on a NIB Cinellli saddle. Recreated the graphics in Illustrator (since they were not commercially available), and paid several hundred to have them run by the shop that creates for custom builders. Sent it to a top paint shop.

Soon the day came to ride it. The anticipation was overwhelming. All of the past races. The friendships. The suffering.

It took a half a block. I thought to myself, "This sucks. I like my modern carbon bikes so much more." I haven't ridden it since then.

Sometimes things are left alone. Some times a memory is sweeter than what the reality was.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Funny story.... maybe a deacde ago I was in our home town. I found an old sponsor bike of mine sitting in a garage. Someone had painted it with a can of purple spray paint. Its Campy SR components covered with purple paint.

I took possession of it and literally spent thousands restoring it, including purchasing NIB SR components, to replace those components that were too far gone. I spent $350 on a NIB Cinellli saddle. Recreated the graphics in Illustrator (since they were not commercially available), and paid several hundred to have them run by the shop that creates for custom builders. Sent it to a top paint shop.

Soon the day came to ride it. The anticipation was overwhelming. All of the past races. The friendships. The suffering.

It took a half a block. I thought to myself, "This sucks. I like my modern carbon bikes so much more." I haven't ridden it since then.

Sometimes things are left alone. Some times a memory is sweeter than what the reality was.

My old steel bikes were prettier, but they sure don't ride better than the carbon frame.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Way to dump on me, @markojp and @martyg! Geez. ;) I have been wanting to ride a STEEL frame road bike, and I happened to still own a very nice steel frame.

Yep, I’ve owned carbon (BMC), and titanium (Merlin). Both were nice, but I sold them and kept the steel. And I haven’t spent thousands.

I pick up the bike on Saturday.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up my bike today. Wow, it’s beautiful! It has a nice smooth feel to it, and it’s super comfortable yet quick, for what it is. My bike builder said that several people who came into his shop wanted to buy it. Nope...not for sale! 28mm rims were installed, which really are perfect. He kept my old purple Cane Creek headset; it was easier to do that, plus he said he always remembered that as a distinctive thing on my bike. I put on Crank Brothers Double Shot 2 pedals.
8362705F-0152-4D4A-B6C5-8D0C5416DC07.jpeg

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the wheelset. Straight pull low spoke count says I'm not junk baby!! :ogbiggrin:
Thanks..good wheels are important! I think they’re a Shimano Ultegra or equivalent. I upgraded from the 105 since the 105 were out of stock.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had new components on a bike. The new 105 stuff is really nice, especially the shift ramps on the chainrings.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I picked up my bike today. Wow, it’s beautiful! It has a nice smooth feel to it, and it’s super comfortable yet quick, for what it is. My bike builder said that several people who came into his shop wanted to buy it. Nope...not for sale! 28mm rims were installed, which really are perfect. He kept my old purple Cane Creek headset; it was easier to do that, plus he said he always remembered that as a distinctive thing on my bike. I put on Crank Brothers Double Shot 2 pedals.
View attachment 109335
Good thing you have a fire extinguisher handy, because thats HOT!

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a 20 mile ride today! Wow, the fit of the bike is dialed in, right from the start. I am grateful for the more upright position. Despite being a frame designed for drop bars, the bike handles beautifully. It gets some second glances from road riders who pass me. (I remember the days when I would be disappointed in myself if somebody passed me, now I don’t care...my goals are different).

The Serotta still has the confidence inspiring feel, especially in fast descents.

It’s the perfect bike for me. A nice spirited, or leisurely ride can be had depending on my mood. And it’s comfy enough for long-ish rides. Yay!

Here’s a few closeups of cool bits on the frame, etc.
A2C32716-5965-4187-82B0-04B485052ECD.jpeg

8B62A0A3-6E50-4071-AB71-565CBB2FD845.jpeg

31417EAF-E828-40DD-B86E-9EF0FD303B4C.jpeg

And the cockpit:
5D5E6548-17B4-44A1-B325-0DFAEDF8BA22.jpeg

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I love the way your Serrota looks, and, rides to your complete satisfaction. It is simply a classic, the color scheme is great. You know what you wanted and used a frame that had a special place in your life, good on you!

Several years ago, Trek replaced a road bike frame that cracked, and, I remember the sticker shock of all the components needed to make it road worthy. I should have sold the frame and bought a new complete bike. My experience with Shimano 105 was always very good, I cheeped out on the wheel set, a mistake as they needed replacing too soon. I'm sure your glad that part of the story is history.

Ride long and prosper!

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Congrats on that great build and for saving a classic. I'm a lover of the old steel bikes and my current road bike is a 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix with the classic 531 frame. Just had a comment from a fellow biker that he's always amazed how many in the 'Boat ride upgraded (or not) vintage bikes.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the Serotta out on a rail trail ride yesterday, about 20 miles. Super comfy. Everyone else was on gravel bikes; I was out on my ‘90’s road bike. :)

I came across these 2 photos today, from 2 different bike trips across Colorado on my beloved Serotta.
Ride the Rockies 1998. I think this was taken after coming down Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat Springs. Maybe @Ron can verify. I had put on a Campy triple crank for this trip, I never used the small ring. I removed it shortly afterwards and sold it.
A51918B2-F2D6-4339-9983-42FAFCBDE0B0.jpeg

The next is the Bicycle Tour of Colorado, probably 2003. I don’t know why I put that horrible red/yellow tape on my bars.
25219A01-6391-461B-A056-1417E7F10349.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online