• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me build up my old road frame

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Would he be willing to do a 650b build? Imagine this bike with slightly smaller wheels but with wider rims and 32mm+ tires.

There is much cush/comfort to be had at the tire, all the components can still be silver, and you can have taller tread blocks for those sandy/muddy days.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would he be willing to do a 650b build? Imagine this bike with slightly smaller wheels but with wider rims and 32mm+ tires.

There is much cush/comfort to be had at the tire, all the components can still be silver, and you can have taller tread blocks for those sandy/muddy days.
Don’t know if the frame will accommodate 32mm tires.
I do have a build option with Shimano 105, 2x or 1x up front, 11 in the rear, mustache bars.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
There is a special space in my heart for the classic steel frame bikes. While riding, I always am jealous when a classic joins the ride and make it a point to chat with owner. A few years ago, when I upgraded my road bike, I took Serotta Colorado for a test ride, loved the look and feel, just could not pull the trigger, mainly due to need for more comfort vs performance. I appreciate wider tires and carbon frame very much on extended riding. Riding anything but a good road bike feels clunky.

This past summer, I found a mint 20 years old Cannondale cross-trainer for the same general around-town use that @Wendy desires. Put on new 32 mm tires, would love to get longer crank arms, just an OK ride, hate the need to carry a locking device. As I now live in a totally flat area, no need to consider drivetrain upgrade.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Color me green with envy.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Lovely frameset. Flat bars? Grocery getter? Ick. Drop bars. Centuries.

I've done centuries, unintentional centuries, back-to-back centuries on flat barred bikes. And in some of those cases, carried groceries while I did so.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fun reading, and somewhat inspirational though I expect indenting the stays is well past what @Wendy would be wanting to do:

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any progress?
Yep, finally. I had multiple conversations with John at Sleeping Dog Cycles, a friend who has worked a lot on the original bike. I ended up ordering a full Shimano kit (big discount when that is done) with double chainring (weirdly, cheaper than single), a pretty large range in the back (I forget the specifics, sorry), 172.5mm cranks, which I used before, and a flat-ish mountain bike bar with a gentle backwards sweep. He’s going to put in the widest rims that he can fit.

Coronavirus has upended the parts supply chain, so there’s large delays from Shimano and everyone else. If I had done this earlier, when I first posted, I could’ve gotten it done, but I wanted to think things over and take my time. So, it will be an exercise in patience, but that’s OK. I’ve had this frame for many years, so I can wait a little while longer for the bike to be built. Delayed gratification can be sweet.

Meanwhile, I’m riding my fat bike everywhere. Even on the road. I enjoy just cruising along. A lot of road riders who pass me look at me like, “You’d have a lot more fun on a road bike,” and I think, “Been there, done that, for MANY years!”

But I’m looking forward to getting back on the Serotta. I’ve had a titanium road bike, a carbon road bike, an aluminum road bike, and this Serotta...it’s just the sweetest one of them all.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun reading, and somewhat inspirational though I expect indenting the stays is well past what @Wendy would be wanting to do:

Oh, geez, I love that blue Trek!!!! I borrowed one like that from a friend when visiting his home in Denver years and years ago. Fond memories.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, my bike is nearly done, but I’m waiting on brake levers. The supply chain is affected by the pandemic, and my bike builder thinks a lot of shops hoarded parts early in the spring, as well. To keep the price reasonable while offering good performance, I got a Shimano 105 group set. Rims are I think, 32 mm, or at least John was going to get those if they fit. If not, its not a big issue.

I will be putting on a black Selle Italia Lady saddle (my fave) and some Crank Brothers Doubleshot pedals, which I have experience with. They work well for clipless riding, or for when I just want to run a short errand in my sneakers.

The builder is John Ireland of Sleeping Dog Cycles in Oley, PA. OUTSTANDING BIKE MECHANIC and overall very nice and honest guy. He sent me a photo of bike in its current build state but the photo is crappy and the bars look weird sans levers and grips.
After riding my fat bike all summer, this bike will feel like a rocket ship.

@cantunamunch I know there’s a mix of silver and black in the bits on this bike, so don’t criticize! ;-)
DCD83DBB-F10D-4FA6-B50E-A60196BF8FEE.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
105 is cheap?!?! :huh::roflmao: Looks great.
Well, no. LOL. I could’ve purchased a new bike for the price.
But compared to Ultegra, Dura-Ace, or a lot of Campy stuff (which I used to ride), it is “cheap.”
The frame is such a nice frame that it seemed wrong to build it up with anything less.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A 650b rim would sit significantly lower in the rear triangle - that difference is what accommodates extra tire width.

Look at the conversions here:

Forgot to reply to this, but the Serotta’s chain stays have a flared part to accommodate the rim, at a distance corresponding to a 700c rim.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Forgot to reply to this, but the Serotta’s chain stays have a flared part to accommodate the rim, at a distance corresponding to a 700c rim.

Right - so the 650b conversion is even easier. A shorter rim would sit short of the flare and the extra tire width would sit within the flare. Easy peasy, IF you want to do it.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right - so the 650b conversion is even easier. A shorter rim would sit short of the flare and the extra tire width would sit within the flare. Easy peasy, IF you want to do it.
Too late. I’m good! Tyres are Vittoria Zappiro Pro, a nice durable yet reasonably priced tyre. They do come in 32mm, but I’m wagering they’re 25mm. Which is fine. Fatter tyres than I’ve ever had on a road bike. ;-)

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tyres are Vittoria Zappiro Pro, a nice durable yet reasonably priced tyre.

Sure, well familiar with the Zaffiro Pro.

Oh, and if that's the widest you've ever had on your road bike, welcome to the new cornering which is not your '90s cornering and WELCOME to the "Is my pressure really right?" game :geek: :ogbiggrin: :roflmao:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
'90's cornering on tubulars was awesome.

Sponsor