• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help! Marker AFD is Broken, How do I Fix?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My family was skiing at Mt. Bachelor over New Year's week and my son hit a rock and got a couple of core shots. So today, I pulled his skis out to attempt my first core shot repair (reasonably successful) before we go back to Bachelor next week. When I looked at the skis one of the AFDs was deviated to the left and I could not push it back to the middle. I could push it further left but not to the center or right. The other AFD worked fine. I inspected and tried to find if something was stuck underneath it but couldn't see anything. At that point I took a screwdriver and popped the AFD off. The spring was intact. The AFD had full range of motion when I slid it on without the spring. I decided to try and put it back together but cannot figure out how to get the AFD back on with the spring in its slot. Any ideas or know where to get it fixed? I have called multiple shops in Portland and nobody either has spare AFDs or seemed to know what to do other than "bring it in and we can look at it". Well I can look at it. I have searched YouTube to no avail. The bindings are 2 year old Marker 11.0 with probably 25-30 days on them.

Here is what it looked like before I took it off.
IMG_2426.jpg

This is after with the AFD upside down with the spring.
IMG_2429.jpg

I welcome any advice since we are heading out in a week.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The only advice that I can give is to avoid Marker bindings in the future. A once great binding company is now, according to a few shop rats that I have talking to, is the only binding company whose brand new out of the box bindings occasionally fail the binding torque test. Of course this problem is not related to your problem so sorry I can't really help.

Edit: OTOH maybe I can help. Marker are pretty good about replacing their failed new equipment so possibly they will stand behind a 2 season old, lightly used mechanical AFD. It can't hurt to see what the Marker distributor has to say.

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never took one apart, just looks like it's pressure fit?

On the base it looks like there is something that broke off (the hole on the right side of the channel), also based on the upper assembly (part with spring) shape, I can't help but think the vertical cutout right in the middle houses something or has some role.....otherwise why would it be shaped that way.

Outside my pay grade, hopefully a binding tech would know.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only advice that I can give is to avoid Marker bindings in the future. A once great binding company is now, according to a few shop rats that I have talking to, is the only binding company whose brand new out of the box bindings occasionally fail the binding torque test. Of course this problem is not related to your problem so sorry I can't really help.

Edit: OTOH maybe I can help. Marker are pretty good about replacing their failed new equipment so possibly they will stand behind a 2 season old, lightly used mechanical AFD. It can't hurt to see what the Marker distributor has to say.

+1 on avoiding Marker. I’m a Look, Tyrolia, Salomon binding fan, in that order.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Most techs will probably say purchase new. Contact Marker, but it won't be fixed in week.

How long you skiing? Short term, demo skis for a day. A few years ago it was $60 to demo 3 different pairs for a day.

Maybe @Jacques could loan you a pair. :huh:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How long you skiing? Short term, demo skis for a day. A few years ago it was $60 to demo 3 different pairs for a day.

At Sun Peaks it is $47/day (less than $35US) to rent demo skis and you can be a test pilot and change skis as often throughout the day as you want. Skiing really is less expensive in Canada than the USA.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Most techs will probably say purchase new. Contact Marker, but it won't be fixed in week.

Maybe @Jacques could loan you a pair. :huh:

Well, only if it was at Mt Bachelor!

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Thanks for the replies. It appears that after talking to Marker that taking them into the local dealer to either repair them or warranty them is the only reasonable option. They do warranty them for 3 years though and they are less than two now. I guess I will have to put him on his brother's skis next week when we go to Bachelor or maybe get a good deal on some rentals from @dawgcatching. After all, I am probably going to buy a pair of AXs from him when I am thereogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online