• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help identify my problem?

ccsasuke

Booting up
Skier

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
why not show us the video?

diveging tips can be caused by lots of different things. I am not guessing since these are clearly screen grabs from a video.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's as I suspected from the still shots. You initiate your turns with a stemming movement. That is to say, you form a slight wedge before transferring weight to the new outside ski. Then, something like a quarter of the way into the new turn, in an effort to become parallel, you overcompensate by suddenly picking up the tail of the new inside ski and bringing the inside foot back and close to the outside foot. You make this movement so strongly that the tail of the inside ski ends up crossing the tail of the outside ski.

The idea of tucking the inside foot back while tipping it over isn't a bad one at all. However, this needs to be progressive, and done in conjunction with a transition that's initiated by early weight transfer and a release of the old edges. You'll find lots of discussion of that movement pattern on this site, with links to video lessons. However--sorry to have to say this--most students will find a focused series of live lessons by far the most effective. It will take you time and dedicated practice to build a new pattern of turn initiation.

TS
C

ccsasuke

Booting up
Skier
It's as I suspected from the still shots. You initiate your turns with a stemming movement. That is to say, you form a slight wedge before transferring weight to the new outside ski. Then, something like a quarter of the way into the new turn, in an effort to become parallel, you overcompensate by suddenly picking up the tail of the new inside ski and bringing the inside foot back and close to the outside foot. You make this movement so strongly that the tail of the inside ski ends up crossing the tail of the outside ski.

The idea of tucking the inside foot back while tipping it over isn't a bad one at all. However, this needs to be progressive, and done in conjunction with a transition that's initiated by early weight transfer and a release of the old edges. You'll find lots of discussion of that movement pattern on this site, with links to video lessons. However--sorry to have to say this--most students will find a focused series of live lessons by far the most effective. It will take you time and dedicated practice to build a new pattern of turn initiation.

Thank you for the analysis and suggestion!
I will look up the things you mentioned and also investigate options for ski lesson series.

I don't seem to find lesson series in the upper NY ski resort that I'm home to, but only ad-hoc group and private lessons with mixed results..
As someone who have only been skiing for 3 years with only ~10 days each year, I think I'm at most at the intermediate level judging by what I read on this forum. However, when I go to my home ski resort and look for an intermediate ski lesson, I ended up with a group of people who either can barely ski in parallel or swing their upper body like crazy...

On the other hand, could you suggest a few drills that may help with my progress if I cannot find a good ski instructor during the remaining 1-2 ski days for this season (There is almost no snow left..)?

Thank you.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
could you suggest a few drills that may help with my progress

I like Rail Road Tracks for this kind of thing. Very mild slope. They encourage continuously parallel skis since you are literally rolling your ankles ... (if done properly, which I don't always do)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks to me like not enough weight on the outside ski. Try picking up the inside ski.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was recently a whole thread here on release:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/drills-to-improve-edge-releases.13685/

Here's a good drill demonstration:

Some people don't like garlands. I like them. Find an empty slope, and keep an eye out for traffic. As you continue to work on this, increase the amount of counter (rotational separation of hips from feet) you hold while traversing. Note how this promotes easy release. Do about 5000 of these releases in garlands. Start letting the skis drift more and more toward the fall line following each release. Do not pivot the feet in the subtalar joints. The rotation comes from the hips. Finally let the release continue past the fall line into a full turn. Promote this by actively tipping the inside foot throughout. All nice and smooth, no abrupt jerky movement.

Last edited: