• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I've been spending a lot of time analyzing, researching and talking about Jr skis over the last two years........ have an 11 year old daughter who has been skiing 7 years and has been on the local D-team, in Minneapolis area, the last two. She free skied the Völkl Chica in the past, Pennsylvania and Vermont. The first two years on the D-Team she used the Stockli RX and last year the Fischer RC4 Speed.

The RC4 Speed is a combi/multi event ski that's pretty versatile and I felt it was a good ski to learn how to ski in a course without being overly stiff and yet fun enough to cruise around on. I watched my daughter progress and in some pictures and videos from Dad's iPhone, I can see the ski flexing during turns in the gates, which is a positive step forward in her development. Since the Stockli and the Fischer skis were not overly stiff she was able to build confidence and most important she used both skis outside the course and was able to enjoy skiing with her friends.

Both the Fischer and the Stockli are well built products. The Fischer is probably easier to locate than a Stockli.

Overall, I thought that both skis allowed her to develop properly, and were an asset to help her learn how to ski gates....last year she even had 3 podium finishes in races where there were 15-20 girls!!!!!!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know that I am going to be of much help narrowing your choices. From what I recall she is not carrying a lot of muscle mass unless things have changed over the summer. Too stiff a ski is not going to help matters until she is heavier, stronger & able to maintain more flex, so I think a junior race ski is not it.

The Nordica and K2 pinnacle that Phil linked look like great skis & having both would be ideal. Not having a crystal ball and being able to predict what kind of storms and snow this winter will have in store I couldn’t choose one. For her overall skill development I would go with the Nordica. If I knew it was going to be a big snow year and I was more concerned with the fun factor, I would go with the Pinnacle or something similar. If I was your coach and had to choose just one right now, it would be a ski like the Nordica.

My little Buddy here is on a Volkl Mantra Jr. which is a great ski for an all mountain charger but probably a bit much for many kids
View attachment 57557
Actually, this helps a lot! She hasn't gotten much more muscle mass, no. She's long and lean and I don't think that will ever change. You echo my concerns about a junior race ski. The Nordica might be the first purchase with adding a more all-mountain option for her if I can pick up a pair cheap (and we know I have a few connections there ;D)

One of these days, her strength is going to catch up with her height and it's going to be fun to watch her mind and body connect all the dots and be able to apply all the lessons she's gotten over the years. In the meantime, I want her to continue to love skiing all while developing a good skill set. (She is NOT happy that I am not taking her to Targhee next weekend!)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You live in UT, light 12 year old, not into racing, doesn't like to fall. Get her something fun that's good in powder and easy on the legs in bumps. Or if you want her to learn on a race ski then get her race skis.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You live in UT, light 12 year old, not into racing, doesn't like to fall. Get her something fun that's good in powder and easy on the legs in bumps. Or if you want her to learn on a race ski then get her race skis.
This sums up my conundrum.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You really don't purchase brand new for her, do you? There has to be tons of quality used or even season rentals?

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
She’s going to be in the alpine development program for 15 weeks. Why don’t you ask the advice of her instructor(s) as to what skis she should be on and then follow it. Presumably you’re paying for their expertise so why not take advantage of it rather than guessing?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She’s going to be in the alpine development program for 15 weeks. Why don’t you ask the advice of her instructor(s) as to what skis she should be on and then follow it. Presumably you’re paying for their expertise so why not take advantage of it rather than guessing?
I'm planning on doing that, too. I just want to get a head start as we don't meet with them until 3 days before the program starts.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Do you know her coach/instructor for this year. They might have a pretty good idea what works for the kids in their group.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do buy new, as I can get the price of new for about what I'd pay for used.

Yeah, reread after posting your noting your SO .... discounts are nice, especially if new.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
YEP. Shame on me for not pointing that one out too.
For shame! I do know we should be able to snag a pair of those pretty easily.

Do you know her coach/instructor for this year. They might have a pretty good idea what works for the kids in their group.
No, I don't. Especially since she's not in the true race program, her coach probably won't be known until the first day on snow.
I have no recommendations, but ... Yay! for your daughter. She's growing up so fast.
Thanks, Vickie!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For my own understanding and perhaps others, using the Hero Jr as and example, how is a 30m radius 67 width underfoot ski going to perform on the variable terrain expected in a Utah all mountain development program?

Whether for kids or adults, is the consensus that everyone should learn on a dialed down slalom ski? Or is it assumed that the all mountain program will nevertheless be race focused, thus the need for a race ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For my own understanding and perhaps others, using the Hero Jr as and example, how is a 30m radius 67 width underfoot ski going to perform on the variable terrain expected in a Utah all mountain development program?

Whether for kids or adults, is the consensus that everyone should learn on a dialed down slalom ski? Or is it assumed that the all mountain program will nevertheless be race focused, thus the need for a race ski?
30M? More like a 10M. You also have instructors/coaches like @4ster who not only know the resort but also know the skier saying it is a great option. This is not a race ski, there is no plate on it, it just has graphics that mirror the race skis. Think of it as a Supershape for kids. Also, 67 underfoot for such a light skier is like 80 underfoot for an adult.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

This is what I've been asking myself, but then I also want her to learn TECHNIQUE and not rely on a "quiver" for her to develop good skills, so I say so long as the ski doesn't kick her ass and buck her off, she would learn a lot on a more "technical" ski.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
30M? More like a 10M. You also have instructors/coaches like @4ster who not only know the resort but also know the skier saying it is a great option. This is not a race ski, there is no plate on it, it just has graphics that mirror the race skis. Think of it as a Supershape for kids. Also, 67 underfoot for such a light skier is like 80 underfoot for an adult.
& the Nordica is 69 underfoot which is almost like a mid fat for someone her weight.

Although everyone likes to think of Utah as a powder paradise, reality is that Snowbasin is not the Cottonwoods & has a lot of machine made snow & lower elevation. In a season like last year I barely had my powder skis out, even on powder days. My non rockered twin tips where usually the best tool for me. Even when there was powder on the top half of the mountain I was often skiing firm snow back to the lift of the bottom. Nowadays, Rockered fatties only come out when it is bottomless.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The Combi ski is what you want. That Rossi is perfect. Fisher, Rossi or Head, etc all have good combi skis. Nose high. Be sure her boots are not too stiff. Fun to have a powder ski for those days but most time the Combi race ski is the right one and she'll do fine on it in soft snow.

Sponsor

Staff online