• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help finding custom race helmet (65cm FIS rated)

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,

I’m really struggling to find a racing helmet (FIS rated RH2013). I need 65cm + and am not finding anything after three weeks of web searching. I’m worried my GS and SG season are finished before they even get started... Already had to cancel out of one event.

In free skiing my Giro Nine fits well, but its not high-enough rated for speed events, and is now discontinued. The largest Giro racing helmet is the Avance which goes to 62.5cm, and I just tried a Briko 64 - both too small. I’m thinking I might need to go the custom route, but no idea if that’s possible, especially for racing... Can anyone help?

B

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Hi All,

I’m really struggling to find a racing helmet (FIS rated RH2013). I need 65cm + and am not finding anything after three weeks of web searching. I’m worried my GS and SG season are finished before they even get started... Already had to cancel out of one event.

In free skiing my Giro Nine fits well, but its not high-enough rated for speed events, and is now discontinued. The largest Giro racing helmet is the Avance which goes to 62.5cm, and I just tried a Briko 64 - both too small. I’m thinking I might need to go the custom route, but no idea if that’s possible, especially for racing... Can anyone help?

B

I just picked up a Sweet Protection brand FIS Mips for freeskiing and racing Masters. Tried on POC, Smith, Bern and the Sweet fit is exceptional. Maybe they have your size. https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-us/snow/helmets/race-helmets/ hope this helps.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I just picked up a Sweet Protection brand FIS Mips for freeskiing and racing Masters. Tried on POC, Smith, Bern and the Sweet fit is exceptional. Maybe they have your size. https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-us/snow/helmets/race-helmets/ hope this helps.

Perfect example of why OP is frustrated - Sweet list XXL to 63cm in their fit guide, but every one of their certified race helmets only goes to LXL which stops 3cm short of what OP needs.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Perfect example of why OP is frustrated - Sweet list XXL to 63cm in their fit guide, but every one of their certified race helmets only goes to LXL which stops 3cm short of what OP needs.

Thanks cantunamunch, Maybe a phone call to Sweet would find a fit for the OP.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah POC goes only to 62mm
What about a motorcycle helmet?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! never heard of one that size! What level are you racing at? If you are racing Masters, including FIS Masters, the FIS sticker is recommended NOT mandatory. Other levels of racing (U14 and above in US, it is mandatory). What is mandatory for Masters - for GS, SG and DH - is a hard ear (ie full coverage, NOT soft ear) helmet. If the Briko 64 does not work than you will be struggling as Briko normally run a couple of sizes bigger than marked (i.e the 64 would be more like a 66).

I dont think a Custom helmet - even if such a thing existed! - would work either if you need the fIS sticker as a one off would not have been model tested to get the sticker.

TS
BClipped

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,

An update:

@ScotsSkier - thanks very much - I went back for a clarification of the rules and it turns out that the FIS rated helmets are (very) recommended for FIS Masters, but not required. That means I can use my Giro Nine at least to get going. And in the meantime I can keep looking for options. For added protection a lightweight open faced motorcycle helmet would work (good idea @James )

Really glad I found PugSki!!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Um, not so fast!. "What is mandatory for Masters - for GS, SG and DH - is a hard ear (ie full coverage, NOT soft ear) helmet." The Giro Nine I am pretty sure form the picture is NOT a full coverage hard shell helmet and as such would only be allowed for slalom NOT SG/GS/DH (personally I like a full coverage helmet for slalom as well).

Given your issues with sizing I would look for an open face motor cycle helmet. After all that is what we used "back in the olden days"
eriksbike.jpeg

TS
BClipped

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
I had the same thought @ScotsSkier - found a motorcycle helmet last night that should work well. Hopefully not too heavy, but at least gives some reassurance of protection.

I’m still hoping I can find the right connection to have a way to get a custom one made, although who knows what the cost will be... I might need a mortgage ;)

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Tough to find helmets in that size. You have to check specific models from different brands because they are not consistent. I had trouble finding some for my son at 58cm. I hope his doesn’t get any bigger! I found these options:

Briko Vulcano FIS 6.8 (goes up to 64cm)
Shred Basher Ultimate (up to 63cm)

SweetProtection sizes XL/XXL up to 63cm but none of the race models seem to go that high

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had a hard enough time finding a 60cm last year. (Uvex race plus)