• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help finding a "cool" MTB Helmet

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Looking for help finding a new MTB helmet. Right now I'm using the Giro Chronicle, which provides good protection but is hotter than a **** on a warm day or a tough climb.

Can anyone suggest a MIPS helmet that has decent cooling???

Thanks!!!

Bruce

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got a new Bontrager Rally MIPS. Good fit, coverage and ventilation.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Royal

UTAH
Skier
I like my smith rover. just make sure to sun screen your forehead. the ventilation holes are big enough to let light in too. I got a nice "3 dot" sun burn on the white rim last year.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
On a hot day all helmets feel bad, I have tried a bunch over the years. Same thing. Road helmets are a bit more airy though.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, be careful of the Smith helmets.

The Forefront is the hottest mtb helmet I've tried.

The Rover, OTOH, is beautifully vented.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier

Yeah, it is interesting. Based on reviews there are a wide variety of opinions on cooling, especially about the Forefront. Unfortunately, bike shops probably wouldn't appreciate me filling their new helmets with my sweat in a demo. The reviews on the Rover at least seem more consistent. I'll probably just have to take a chance and see how it turns out.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider

Really on the Forefront? Wow, never have had an issue with it. On the other hand, I may want a fullface in the future. I got stung on my tongue this afternoon on my ride. Not cool, Mr. Yellowjacket, not cool.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@Willy you have a forefront 2. Very different from the one @Tom K. is mentioning.

I bought 4 helmets to try out/on from Jenson and competitive cyclist. The Giro Montaro, Smith Forefront 2, Poc Tectal, and the 6D ATB.

The forefront 2 was the most comfortable on my head...which is no surprise since the Smith ski helmets fit me best as well.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
@Jed Peters - Actually, no. I have a Forefront that's pretty used and have ordered a Forefront 2. I like the old one and have never had any heating issues so felt getting the new model with MIPS was a good choice.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
I now have several rides with the new Forefront 2 and while the first Forefront I had never really gave me any problems, I would suggest this one may be cooler. It's hard to tell, though since I was using the old one during the hottest part of the summer. Again, though, I never really had any complaints with the old. This one seems a bit more comfortable and really fits well with the Boa adjustment. The new sweat lining is better, too but that could be just due to it being new. The old one was shot so hard to tell. I guess I didn't really need a new helmet but my old one was showing its age. That said, the FF 2 is a really nice helmet and I'm glad to have it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Really on the Forefront? Wow, never have had an issue with it. On the other hand, I may want a fullface in the future. I got stung on my tongue this afternoon on my ride. Not cool, Mr. Yellowjacket, not cool.
images.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online