• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rjski

Booting up
Skier
I just realized Spro 120 doesn't have any cuff alignment setting like other boots. Is it because its Custom Shell HD or it's entirely not possible to make it work unless you have completely straight legs?

At the moment it causes knee pain while bending.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• pugski.png
    pugski.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 202
TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Salomon offers a customizable oversized pivot kit

@cem can install it for you

Or any salomon dealer with the tool
Thanks for the reply but If you watch it carefully these are 140 flex and their oversized pivotn cover are with holes, mines don't have those since they are 120 model(You can also see at the pic I post).

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure if the cuff is moldable to bring it to sides, do you have a knowledge about that?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The current S/Max 130 has alignment ability. If the oversized hinge cover has two holes in it, you can unscrew them and access the screw. Past that, align can be done during the heat mold.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
On S/Max and S/Pro boots (as well as X/Max and X/Pro) without the screw cuff hinge, the rivet must be ground out from the inside. It is soft aluminum and doesn't put up much of a fight. It gets replaced with a t- nut and then the rest of the installation proceeds normally.
Heat molding is not a substitute for proper cuff alignment with the brand S boots, particularly if you need the cuff to move medically.

pliny the elder

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure if the cuff is moldable to bring it to sides, do you have a knowledge about that?
The current S/Max 130 has alignment ability. If the oversized hinge cover has two holes in it, you can unscrew them and access the screw. Past that, align can be done during the heat mold.

On S/Max and S/Pro boots (as well as X/Max and X/Pro) without the screw cuff hinge, the rivet must be ground out from the inside. It is soft aluminum and doesn't put up much of a fight. It gets replaced with a t- nut and then the rest of the installation proceeds normally.
Heat molding is not a substitute for proper cuff alignment with the brand S boots, particularly if you need the cuff to move medically.

pliny the elder

Two opposite views here, I also talked with a 2 different bootfitter yesterday, they were in different opinions as well about alignment can be done during heat mold..
Plinly, this structure making me think even tho if you replace them with a t-nut, it's not going to gain the ability of giving cuff an angle on the sides.

Attachments

• cuff.jpg
    cuff.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 199
  • cuff1.jpg
    cuff1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 194

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Two opposite views here, I also talked with a 2 different bootfitter yesterday, they were in different opinions as well about alignment can be done during heat mold..
Plinly, this structure making me think even tho if you replace them with a t-nut, it's not going to gain the ability of giving cuff an angle on the sides.
I will defer to @pliny the elder

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier

When you install cuff alignment onto the S/Max chassis it has the same range as the S/Race (which comes with it) or the 130 which already has the screw fitting. You still have to reduce the lug size on the 130, but the t-nut is already there. The reason for this is simple, rivets are cheaper than t-nuts. As you move down the food chain prices lower and features get deleted.

It is actually quite unfortunate that the ski industry has tied price and quality to flex and last, but that is a topic for another time.

The Salomon cuff system once installed, adds .5 degrees of range to each side. You can tip the cuff 1 degree in each direction.
Not exceptional, but far better than none.

As to the heat mold ability for cuff alignment, if people are finding it works for their customers that's great. I think this is where you insert an acronym, like YMMV.

pliny the elder

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
When you install cuff alignment onto the S/Max chassis it has the same range as the S/Race (which comes with it) or the 130 which already has the screw fitting. You still have to reduce the lug size on the 130, but the t-nut is already there. The reason for this is simple, rivets are cheaper than t-nuts. As you move down the food chain prices lower and features get deleted.

It is actually quite unfortunate that the ski industry has tied price and quality to flex and last, but that is a topic for another time.

The Salomon cuff system once installed, adds .5 degrees of range to each side. You can tip the cuff 1 degree in each direction.

As to the heat mold ability for cuff alignment, if people are finding it works for their customers that's great. I think this is where you insert an acronym, like YMMV.

pliny the elder

Thanks a lot for the information. I talked with one of the experienced bootfitters in Mammoth over the phone, he basically told me that he can do canting as adding plates under the boot and it's going to work like cuff alignment. My concern is; That is not going to feel same as cuff alignment ergonomically on the knee.

What is your opinion?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
Thanks a lot for the information. I talked with one of the experienced bootfitters in Mammoth over the phone, he basically told me that he can do canting as adding plates under the boot and it's going to work like cuff alignment. My concern is; That is not going to feel same as cuff alignment ergonomically on the knee.

What is your opinion?

Cuff alignment and canting are not the same thing. The purpose of cuff alignment is to match the angle of your leg so that you stand flat with the feet at an appropriate width.Canting increases or decreases your leverage and the amount of rotation applied to the skis as your weight moves from one side to the other.
It is impossible to know what you need over the Internet, in anticipation of the next question.

pliny the elder

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier

pliny the elder
I'm pulling a "reboot" on this thread as I was just researching a reason to upgrade. I'm shutting down my search and keeping my Salomon Impact 120's and actually have a second brand new pair "on deck" barring any plastic fatigue... as well as extra soles, when these wear out (Unless Solly reintros integrated cuff adj on HV boots). They have a large volume and minor cuff adjustment that is absolutely critical to my imperfect anatomic profile. If you have fairly straight legs then no problem. In my scenario, it took my Master boot fitter a year to wait for the boots that fit my foot to be released (Impact Pro's in 2009), then 4+ hours of work to get them in the ballpark.

At that point, if had to heat them every time I needed an adjustment..... it would have been unrealistic. A REALLY good Master boot fitter, will teach you how it's supposed to feel and how to understand and make minor adjustments, on the fly. It took literally 15 - 20 different micro adjustments to get the fit just right. Of course I checked in a few times to make sure I was heading in the right direction.

I had a second Master boot fitter check the work years later and he was amazed that I was able to get my foot into that size boot at all... much less w/ all day comfort. The first Master fitter dropped me from a 29.5, set up by a "Good" boot fitter w/ an excellent reputation, to a 27.5. New Liner after 150+ days??? Nah, not needed according to both experts. My shell & insoles fit so perfectly that the liner could only pack out so much. I tried a new heat molded Intuition Liner just for shits and giggles ... TORTURE even after many many adjustments.... I chucked them and put my old ones back in. I'm on my second set of Impact 120's, one set left ... if the plastic holds up. So far so good... My Master Boot fitter said "Pfft, stop it.....just ski em! "

I cherish my Master boot fitter buddy MORE than my financial advisors!!! My wife wonders why I'm calling HIS name in my dreams!!! LMAO

I'll never buy a pair of boots w/o integrated off the shelf High Volume and lateral cuff adjustment... and obviously, I'll ONLY go to Master Boot fitters. My boots never see anything but an overhead compartment when flying! That's a no brainer! :beercheer:

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the dynafit hoji 130 boots. No cuff alignment, and it causes some pain.
Does anyone know if the cuff can be heated so it matches my leg shape?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cuff alignment and canting are not the same thing. The purpose of cuff alignment is to match the angle of your leg so that you stand flat with the feet at an appropriate width.Canting increases or decreases your leverage and the amount of rotation applied to the skis as your weight moves from one side to the other.
It is impossible to know what you need over the Internet, in anticipation of the next question.

pliny the elder
Anything new in this realm in the Solly line up? Was checking out the S/Pro HV130's just to see if they had come full circle and re-added cuff alignment. Or if the add-on cuff alignment process has become any easier to accomplish?

Sponsor

Staff online