• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help complete this edge/base tuning kit

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Most of my skis are set to 1 degree base and 2 or 3 degree edges. I mostly ski in the Northeast.

So far I have these:

Side of Beast Side Angle Guide, 3 Degree Guide
Side of Beast Angle Plates, 2 Degree Plate
Fk Brake Retainer W/Hook
Tognar Pocket Gummi Stone

I guess I need four more things? Base angle guide, sidewall planer, files and diamond stones?

Questions:

1. Do I need anything else?
2. How good is the Beast base guide? It's only $20 and seems to be made of plastic, which worries me. If they are not built well, are there worthy alternatives?
3. How good is the Beast sidewall planer? If they are not the best, what is a good one?
4. If I'm buying the rest of the kit from tognar, which files and diamond stones there would you recommend?

Thanks all.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on the run so I'll just address #3.

Don't get the Beast sidewall planer, it's a piece of crap. If you want one, I'll ship you mine if you pay shipping.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier

Don't get the Beast sidewall planer, it's a piece of crap. If you want one, I'll ship you mine if you pay shipping.

Ha ha, okay, which one(s) would you recommend instead? Also, what do you not like about the Beast sidewall planer?

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the Swix Racing sidewall cutter- it has worked quite well for me.
https://www.tognar.com/swix-sidewall-cutter-racing-ta103/

Thanks! It's currently out of stock. Any chance you know how the "Sport" version compares in terms of the function and build quality? Looks like it only comes with the round cutting blade instead of the round and square cutting blades like the Racing version. I don't even know when you need to use each of the two blades! How often do you use the square cutting blades on your sidewall planer, and why?

Also, anyone used the Wintersteiger ones? They seem to have decent reviews: https://www.tognar.com/ergo-sidewall-planer/

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Thanks! It's currently out of stock. Any chance you know how the "Sport" version compares in terms of the function and build quality? Looks like it only comes with the round cutting blade instead of the round and square cutting blades like the Racing version. I don't even know when you need to use each of the two blades! How often do you use the square cutting blades on your sidewall planer, and why?

Also, anyone used the Wintersteiger ones? They seem to have decent reviews: https://www.tognar.com/ergo-sidewall-planer/

I haven't used or seen the Sport version in person. I have used the square blade- but only for a full cap construction ski (not the typical vertical white or black sidewall). My kids race on various versions of the Atomic Redster J-RP FIS race skis, and they are all cap construction, so I need the square blade for those. Round blade on all of our other "normal" skis.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I haven't used or seen the Sport version in person. I have used the square blade- but only for a full cap construction ski (not the typical vertical white or black sidewall). My kids race on various versions of the Atomic Redster J-RP FIS race skis, and they are all cap construction, so I need the square blade for those. Round blade on all of our other "normal" skis.

Thanks, that's helpful! You probably don't know this, but if you do, that'll be helpful info also -- approximately how many uses do you get out of one blade before you need to replace it?

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Thanks, that's helpful! You probably don't know this, but if you do, that'll be helpful info also -- approximately how many uses do you get out of one blade before you need to replace it?

I don't know, however since the blades (both round and square) have multiple cutting sides, it seems to me that even when you dull the blade on one side, you can just loosen it and rotate it to another, (or in the case of round blade, just rotate it a few degrees). I've used mine many times, and still haven't dulled it enough to be concerned on square or round blades. I don't know how often you plan to cut your sidewalls or how many skis you have to do, but it doesn't seem like a task that needs to be done often if done right.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Update, I have these in the cart now:

Swix Sidewall Cutter Sport (TA101N)
Fk Brake Retainer W/Hook

Most important pending question:

How good is the Beast base guide? It's only $20 and seems to be made of plastic, which worries me. If they are not built well, are there worthy alternatives?

Less important pending question:

Do I need anything else, like a hard stone for initial pass before filing to remove burrs or for final pass? I realized I have some random 70mm files and a black 70mm DMT diamond stone from the past, so may not get more files/stones just yet (unless I should?).

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

I did not like mine so much, but it works fine. They make a new 7 degree plate for the Side Of BEAST Pro. They were out of those when I went to get one.
They gave me a stainless plate that has adhesive to place on my Plane BEAST. It's all good now!
Really, not a piece of crap. One needs a sharp pansar section and a bit of skill. Never had a sidewall I could not tackle with it. Just the lack of a stainless plate was the problem.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I did not like mine so much, but it works fine. They make a new 7 degree plate for the Side Of BEAST Pro. They were out of those when I went to get one.
They gave me a stainless plate that has adhesive to place on my Plane BEAST. It's all good now!
Really, not a piece of crap. One needs a sharp pansar section and a bit of skill. Never had a sidewall I could not tackle with it. Just the lack of a stainless plate was the problem.

What does the stainless steel plate do to improve the plane beast?

If you had a 7 degree plate for the side of the beast pro, you would not need a separate sidewall cutter? They don't have a 7 degree plate listed on their site: https://www.beasttuning.com/Side-of-BEAST-Angle-Plate-p/3006z.htm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

For $40, it is a piece of crap. It's small. The fit and finish is probably the worst I have ever seen on a name branded tuning tool. I have to spent a bit of time on it before it can be used with out cutting up the ptex. It's probably worth about $15.

Much easier for me to add a 3 degree plate to a 87 degree SVST side edge guide for a much better set up.

Jacques

Skier
What does the stainless steel plate do to improve the plane beast?

If you had a 7 degree plate for the side of the beast pro, you would not need a separate sidewall cutter? They don't have a 7 degree plate listed on their site: https://www.beasttuning.com/Side-of-BEAST-Angle-Plate-p/3006z.htm

The problem with the Plane BEAST is that the glide is aluminum. It needs to be tuned, which is easy with some sand paper. Still it tends to clog up on the aluminum glide with "junk". I used to tape it over, then remove and redo. Now with the stainless glide plate they gave me it's like night and day.
The better deal would be to use the Side Of The BEAST Pro with the new 7 degree plate.
Either way, I have zero issues when using a "sharp" pansar file section at 7 degrees to sidewall plane any type of ski construction be it cap, sandwich, or a combination of the two.

Edit: Look here. The 7 degree plate is there! They just sold out. Best to call The Race Place on the phone.
https://the-raceplace.com/collections/beast-tuning-tools/products/side-of-beast-angle-plate

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
The problem with the Plane BEAST is that the glide is aluminum. It needs to be tuned, which is easy with some sand paper. Still it tends to clog up on the aluminum glide with "junk". I used to tape it over, then remove and redo. Now with the stainless glide plate they gave me it's like night and day.
The better deal would be to use the Side Of The BEAST Pro with the new 7 degree plate.
Either way, I have zero issues when using a "sharp" pansar file section at 7 degrees to sidewall plane any type of ski construction be it cap, sandwich, or a combination of the two.

Where can I buy the 7 degree plate, and which pansar file would you recommend (or what size/spec should I look for)?

Jacques

Skier
For $40, it is a piece of crap. It's small. The fit and finish is probably the worst I have ever seen on a name branded tuning tool. I have to spent a bit of time on it before it can be used with out cutting up the ptex. It's probably worth about $15.

Much easier for me to add a 3 degree plate to a 87 degree SVST side edge guide for a much better set up.

To each his own. If you never sanded down the glide on your Plane BEAST, then I could understand your issue. I guess they figured a tuner could figure that need right away. The edges needed to be rounded over for sure. Anyway, since they gave me a stainless plate with an adhesive strip on it, now it's all good.
Maybe give them a call, and ask them if they will send you one too.

Jacques

Skier
Update, I have these in the cart now:

Swix Sidewall Cutter Sport (TA101N)
Fk Brake Retainer W/Hook

Most important pending question:

How good is the Beast base guide? It's only $20 and seems to be made of plastic, which worries me. If they are not built well, are there worthy alternatives?

Less important pending question:

Do I need anything else, like a hard stone for initial pass before filing to remove burrs or for final pass? I realized I have some random 70mm files and a black 70mm DMT diamond stone from the past, so may not get more files/stones just yet (unless I should?).

The BEAST base bevel guides are great! Some don't like them, but if your base is not flat (convex) then the ones that span more of the base will rock anyway!
Sure a good tool is important, but more so is the hands that it is in, and the experience of the user.

Jacques

Skier
Where can I buy the 7 degree plate, and which pansar file would you recommend (or what size/spec should I look for)?

Get all BEAST stuff from the source. The Race Place in Bend Oregon. They do a huge amount of online sales. Talk to them on the phone, then order online as that's better than giving credit card info over the phone!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January