• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help, Advice Needed

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Your vision of how big the ski industry is and how a small US distributor works with the Europeon parent company may be a little skewed from when you were a player in the retail ski business. Sure contact Kastle, and their crack warranty team should be able to perfectly match the make, model, year, and size from their US warehouse. In fact I believe that they will have the warranty team working in shifts to help you out. But I don't think they will be able to recover the Creedence tape...

TS
Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Your vision of how big the ski industry is and how a small US distributor works with the Europeon parent company may be a little skewed from when you were a player in the retail ski business. Sure contact Kastle, and their crack warranty team should be able to perfectly match the make, model, year, and size from their US warehouse. In fact I believe that they will have the warranty team working in shifts to help you out. But I don't think they will be able to recover the Creedence tape...

Thanks, Otto! That was funny! I know it's a long shot, but it never hurts to ask. In fact, a buddy that is a Kastle dealer has called the mother ship and has yet to hear back. That sheds light on just how small their staff must be! That being said, I have seen a few Kastles that have a crack similar to mine, so maybe they have the non-cracked single taking up space that I could buy on the cheap. I did enjoy your sarcastic wit, in fact it made my morning, so good on ya! Now off to ride my Harley. It's supposed to get to 50* here in Wyoming, so I'll probably need to wear deodorant.

TS
Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
MX89repair.jpg
Repair turned out alright. Hoping to ski it next week and see if it holds! I did undercut the cut out portion to give the epoxy a footing to hopefully give it more of a bite.
Bob

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Nice looking repair.

The tip of the ski is one of the most difficult areas of the ski to get a long term repair to hold. The amount of vibration and the thickness of the ski tip are at odds with each other to achieve a permanent bond. In the specific case of the Kastle tip, there is very little material for you to work with. As long as the bond is solid past the contact point of the tip, your on snow experience should not be compromised. However if your cosmetic fix does not stay attached, you run the risk of the delam running down to the running surface of the ski. This was my point as to why mechanical assistance in a screw rivet, machine screw, or 2 piece rivet would insure that the bond does not get vibrated apart.

TS
Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice looking repair.

The tip of the ski is one of the most difficult areas of the ski to get a long term repair to hold. The amount of vibration and the thickness of the ski tip are at odds with each other to achieve a permanent bond. In the specific case of the Kastle tip, there is very little material for you to work with. As long as the bond is solid past the contact point of the tip, your on snow experience should not be compromised. However if your cosmetic fix does not stay attached, you run the risk of the delam running down to the running surface of the ski. This was my point as to why mechanical assistance in a screw rivet, machine screw, or 2 piece rivet would insure that the bond does not get vibrated apart.

Thanks! I can only hope it holds and that the under cut and dovetail I cut in help a bit. I know you're right, but it has now become a "challenge" and I've got time. LOL I still have my MX88's and RX12's to ski, which is kind of why this has now become a "project" ski. I do appreciate your input.

TS
Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice looking repair.

Thanks! I can only hope it holds and that the under cut and dovetail I cut in help a bit. I know you're right, but it has now become a "challenge" and I've got time. LOL I still have my MX88's and RX12's to ski, which is kind of why this has now become a "project" ski. I do appreciate your input.

TS
Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Update: Skied around 12K vert. at Loveland. Went all over, in all kinds of conditions, and the repair held. I know it's 1 time, but it does give a little hope. Hanging them up for the season, so already looking forward to next year!

Sponsor

Staff online