• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmets and Testing

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If we implemented the extra-analytical things int our skiing, biking and every day life the way we think about them and research them....it would take us 2 hrs to walk from the sofa to the door.

:thumb: The only way to be truly safe...or is it?:

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i think the point of my rambling post is there already are more protective items not labelled as a bike/snow, but people already are choose not to use them. How come nobody uses full face helmets? How come road bikers are wearing basically skin depth spandex and not full body armor if its just about protection. So people are already not choosing absolute safety first.

I resemble that remark. And I'll laugh at myself here:

My backyard mtb trails also include an extensive, shared moto trail network. I love these rough trails, on both my long travel Trek Slash mtb AND my KTM 250 moto.

On my Slash, I'm wearing a good coverage helmet, lycra short-sleeved shirt, and lycra shorts. Sometimes baggy shorts over those. Ankle-high race shoes.

On my moto, I'm wearing a full-face helmet, a zip-on full upper body armor unit including chest pad, elbow pads, shoulder pads, back pad and kidney belt, shorts padded in several areas, full "leathers" pants, knee/shin pads, and burly boots.

So.......on ANY downhill segment, I'm faster on my Slash than my moto.

I'm not sure what that says about my sanity, when it comes to choosing relative levels of protective equipment.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd just like a biking helmet that the interior fabric and pads does not disintegrate after a year of use. Giro, I'm looking at you.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
tofmewv-qj2b-f7xkl7t-w-jpg.55843

Do they make it in green?
The_Great_Gazoo.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some more new and interesting helmet tech:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/20/fl...ease-revolutionary-rampage-pro-carbon-helmet/

Not sure if the weight and bulk of this will allow it to trickle down to "regular" mtb helmets or not, but it's nice to somewhat suddenly see a lot of companies pursuing real innovation in helmet safety.

This beats the dickens out of "hey, our twist-lock fit system is WAY lighter this year"!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some more new and interesting helmet tech:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/20/fl...ease-revolutionary-rampage-pro-carbon-helmet/

Not sure if the weight and bulk of this will allow it to trickle down to "regular" mtb helmets or not, but it's nice to somewhat suddenly see a lot of companies pursuing real innovation in helmet safety.

This beats the dickens out of "hey, our twist-lock fit system is WAY lighter this year"!

Looks like MIPS has purchased the company that developed this new tech, IMO lending more credence to the approach:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mips-...-rotational-impact-company-for-33million.html

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited: