• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Safety Study- PLEASE READ!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
These are the same pesky kids that outed VW's TDI.

No, that was West Virginia University... this helmet study is Virginia Tech. VT has been working on helmet impacts in football for a number of years. Nice to see it grow to other sports/activities. Here's the more general page, including hockey, football, and soccer.

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/

No ski helmets yet! Though there are a good amount of skiers at VT - Winterplace in WV is the closest slopes, about an hour away.

(And I'm proud to say I'm an alum! Go Hokies!)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No, that was West Virginia University... this helmet study is Virginia Tech. VT has been working on helmet impacts in football for a number of years. Nice to see it grow to other sports/activities. Here's the more general page, including hockey, football, and soccer.

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/

No ski helmets yet! Though there are a good amount of skiers at VT - Winterplace in WV is the closest slopes, about an hour away.

(And I'm proud to say I'm an alum! Go Hokies!)
Well, those Virginia students are on top of it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, those Virginia students are on top of it.

9ZOgqGO.png

Hmmm... The University of Virginia, sometimes referred to as just "Virginia", is the main rival of Virginia Tech. So Virginia Tech students would not often call themselves "Virginia students" for fear of people thinking that went to the University of Virginia. And West Virginia is a whole other state. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not trolling.
I'm aware that West Virginia is a separate state from Virginia.
I'm clueless about the SoVirginia Tech and University of Virginia rivalries.
I should know better, since I come from the great divide of Michigan (otherwise known as University of Michigan) and Michigan State.
You do NOT want to get between a Michigan and Michigan State fan.
Michigan Tech is in the same state, but it may as well be on a different planet.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting study, just bought my spouse and middle new MIPs Bell helmets but not either that were tested. I'll presume that their technology didn't change drastically.

Terms of the testing, I see it akin to car crash test data. If I read correctly the star system is simplistically a 20% reduction in odds for the direct (well, 45 degree) blows one sees. Even a 3 star helmet in theory would give you a 50-60% reduction in the chance of a concussion which even reducing the severity of would be good.

btw, noted the speed of test didn't seem that extraordinary .. 7.3m/s is roughly 16 mph ....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Even a 3 star helmet in theory would give you a 50-60% reduction in the chance of a concussion which even reducing the severity of would be good.
As Tricia says, better something than the helmet you left at home..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to say, you guys in the US take your colleges WAY more seriously than we do!!!! :D
I've never gotten into the college rivalries, which is probably why my post seemed trollish to @dbostedo. I'm clueless about such things.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've never gotten into the college rivalries, which is probably why my post seemed trollish to @dbostedo. I'm clueless about such things.
It's getting more popular here..I see parents wearing all kinds of gear from their kid's uni...it's just..weird..?? To me. To each their own.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say, you guys in the US take your colleges WAY more seriously than we do!!!! :D

I have similar feeling about pro teams, yeah I like a few but they're hired guns. Least I have an affiliation with the college I attended.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thanks for posting the study. Earlier this week I got a Specialized Align II which is in the top group for Road and Urban. I'm replacing a Specialized S-Works helmet made in 2008, which has served me well but is now waaaay past replacement age. Needless to say, I'm glad nothing bad happened to me in the interim. :thumb:

Helmets.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Awww, mine's not on there. I'll go with the thought that it works well!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awww, mine's not on there. I'll go with the thought that it works well!
Yours is a new model. Probably wasn't available for the study

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope for your sake it wasn't . . . Iowa!

(tongue-in cheek college rivalry humor from a Boilermaker)

Proof a Boilermaker has a quicker mind ... almost 3yrs and I just noted this.

However note, I passed up Purdue for Iowa in my decision process having had planned and acceptance to attend Purdue. But before attending Purdue I had changed to attend Illinois, but happenstance had me change plans to Iowa. Several changes in course that I don't regret and consider fate.

I'd never knock Purdue short of their football team, engineering-no way.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Proof a Boilermaker has a quicker mind ... almost 3yrs and I just noted this.

However note, I passed up Purdue for Iowa in my decision process having had planned and acceptance to attend Purdue. But before attending Purdue I had changed to attend Illinois, but happenstance had me change plans to Iowa. Several changes in course that I don't regret and consider fate.

I'd never knock Purdue short of their football team, engineering-no way.
LOL. I'd forgotten this little dig. All great schools in the B10(14). And I am a basketball fan anyway!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Forget all the Big Ten talk... I'm a Virginia Tech engineering alum, and since they are actual the helmet safety authority linked to here, I win. :D

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Starvos WaveCel came in 16th for Road style. Not as high as I'd hope but still pretty good.