• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Safety Study- PLEASE READ!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
not sure if the actual MIPs was tested. if you havent read up on MIPs there are some very specific ways you have to wear your helmet for it to work. It has to be worn very tight including the chin strap. Most riders wont do this.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
not sure if the actual MIPs was tested. if you havent read up on MIPs there are some very specific ways you have to wear your helmet for it to work. It has to be worn very tight including the chin strap. Most riders wont do this.
I agree completely with you there Ron. Not sure if their methodology reflected that or not. Could just be coincidence.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting, I didn't know bike helmets came in "road" and "urban". For a long time I have wondered why bike helmets didn't get a Snell Institute rating like motorcycle and auto racing helmets.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Agree 100%. Honestly, I'm more impressed by the button-like energy absorbers that Leatt and 6D use, though the 6D helmets are really large in size.

I've tried wearing my new MIPS helmet properly. I ride a lot. I'm at 10 hours and two ingrown whiskers already from the chin straps. Probably going to join the "I don't really wear my helmet correctly club" shortly.

I wish they'd rated more helmets.

Their hope is that these test results will be well received, and a substantial grant will follow for more testing.

I, for one, sure hope so!

Plus, these early results will be critiqued to death. Hopefully mostly constructive in nature, and the methodology will be slightly adjusted going forward.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
i wish there was something about methodology rather than just stars. This seems kind of useless to me.

scott43

Skier
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, the sites not very well organized but the PDF's so explain the logic and scoring. I think they did a pretty solid job. I was speaking to a product developer and tester for Specialized about the test. he was not aware of it but I showed it to him. He was very interested to see the results and how their helmets scored. Supposedly, Specialized is coming out with some new helmets this fall that are getting even more aero and highly breathable. This test might bring about some changes to the industry.

there is a def' movement towards the newer designs of the Bontrager Ballista and the Specialized S-Works evade where the shape is looking decidedly like a TT shape.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are the same pesky kids that outed VW's TDI.

I still say, the best helmet is the one that fits well. You can get the best helmet, with the best safety technology, but if it doesn't fit well, or if you don't like wearing it, it won't do much good.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
These are the same pesky kids that outed VW's TDI.

I still say, the best helmet is the one that fits well. You can get the best helmet, with the best safety technology, but if it doesn't fit well, or if you don't like wearing it, it won't do much good.

not really! there are many helmets out there that will fit a wide variety of heads and some of those are clearly safer than others.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If it doesn't fit well, it won't stay put like its supposed to. If its not comfortable, it may be left in the gear bag instead of on my head.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, but there are so many options, there are no reason why you cant find a properly fitting helmet and one that is safe.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yes, but there are so many options, there are no reason why you cant find a properly fitting helmet and one that is safe.
Logically speaking you're right, but not everyone who reads studies like this are equipped to make a logical decision.

I have fitted helmets on far too many people who get stuck on what a magazine or study or rating list says and ignore fit.
And, believe it or not, a helmet model with MIPS *can* fit differently than the same model without MIPS.
Spend some time fitting helmets in a shop for a bit. Its eye opening.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
it was actually disturbing to discover that my Laser Z1 MIPs is really the same as the second to last, 2-star rated Laser Genesis helmet. :eek: super comfortable, great features and very good temperature regulation but it aint gonna do much to protect my skull.

yes, I have a new one coming in this week.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its interesting to me how many cyclists who come into the shop looking for a helmet don't know what MIPS is, compared to how many skiers know about MIPS

it was actually disturbing to discover that my Laser Z1 MIPs is really the same as the second to last, 2-star rated Laser Genesis helmet.
Huh:huh:, That is odd from a company like Laser.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
I suppose you have to actually wear the helmet and have it fit properly. If it's hot and you choose not to wear it..or if you don't like how it feels..you may be less inclined to wear it properly.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@scott43 That is the point that I didn't get across very well earlier.
@Ron I wasn't trying to pick at your thread or a comprehensive list but I'm an example of someone who bought "the best" helmet 10 years ago. It fit okay when I was in the store, but ultimately, it wasn't terribly comfortable when I was riding. The day I had my bike crash 7 years ago, Phil found me without my helmet on. I didn't wake up for 8 hrs.
Still don't remember anything about the day, or the choices I made that lead up to the crash.
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 7.31.17 AM.png

Last edited: