• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet Question

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What do you use under your helmet?

I like a headband to cover my ears on the very cold days.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't use anything. I find my head gets hot for the most part. I usually have the vents open unless it's harsh cold out.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thin balaclava on super cold days, thin wool beanie (like for running, or wearing under bike helmets) on not as cold days. Nothing on warmer days.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing underneath. Pull up the hood if very cold or snowing. But a more important additional question would be: does my helmet make my head look fat?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Two reasons why I always wear a thin beanie: 1) I"m always cold & 2: I don't like the way ski helmets feel on my head. On frigid days, I have a couple of my down jacket hoods that can fit under my helmet or a do a combination of balaclava or buff with my beanie.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing underneath my Briko Vulcano 6.8, but it's not ventilated - it's a FIS-compliant lid for racing. It's plenty warm - too warm in the spring, to be honest.

briko.png

Under my Giro Nine, I occasionally wear a SmartWool skullcap underneath, but it is seldom necessary. This past week at Killington, the windchill was in the low single digits and I didn't need anything under my Giro to keep my head warm. I closed the vents, that's all.

giro.png

I will wear a buff to close the neck gap, but that is all.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
depends.... my Salomon Prophet is really warm so I dont need anything, if it gets winddy and near zero, then I pull up the hood. My former helmets were not as warm and I wore a super thin balaclava. I still cover my face on really cold days though.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
That's interesting because mine is a Salomon also. Actually I have to have a spacer in mine. It's sort of like a yarmulke. But it stays in the helmet usually. If it's really really cold like -20C then I have a thin skullcap that goes in.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But a more important additional question would be: does my helmet make my head look fat?

I still have my Boeri Moto in XXL. Fits up to 64cm heads. And then puts 4cm of internal padding around that.

I wear that thing I look like I need a wiggle-tail, in the manner of a certain Woody Allen scene. Looking from more than 10m/30 feet you can barely tell I have shoulders.

And yes, it is actually a ski helmet.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January