• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
It's been a while since I bought a new helmet, and I've always been a Smith fan (and I wear Smith I/OS goggles). I tried on the women's Vantage MIPS at a shop, with the goggles, and it felt pretty good. But I wasn't sure I wanted the brim that the Vantage has (it's a pain when you want to take your goggles off), so my husband got me a Compass MIPS for Chanukah (we shopped the Black Friday sales).

But I've been sitting on the couch wearing it for the last 30 mins, and it seems to feel a little snug. And I'm definitely a small (54 cm head). I can't remember - will this pack out a little? Or should I maybe suck up the brim and try out the Vantage, which seemed to feel ok when I tried it on (though I didn't keep it on for 30 mins, since I was at a shop).

So my questions - will the helmet pack out a bit? How snug is too snug? Is it common for two helmets from the same company, but different models fit differently?

thanks!

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
So my questions - will the helmet pack out a bit?

In my experience, a very little bit but not much. If you look at the padding in the helmet, you'll see it just isn't very thick; there isn't much to pack out.

How snug is too snug?

If you were sitting with the helmet on for 30 minutes and it still felt "snug" but wasn't becoming uncomfortable, I'd think that's fine. That said, you say you're "definitely a small (54 cm head)", but a small only goes up to 55cm according to Smith's size chart. You could at least try on a medium to see what you think.

Is it common for two helmets from the same company, but different models fit differently?

In my experience, yes.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
If you were sitting with the helmet on for 30 minutes and it still felt "snug" but wasn't becoming uncomfortable, I'd think that's fine. That said, you say you're "definitely a small (54 cm head)", but a small only goes up to 55cm according to Smith's size chart. You could at least try on a medium to see what you think.

Hmm, now I'm not sure. After sitting for a bit longer my left ear started to get sore. This might be going back.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@Tricia - Can you give me the lowdown on the Pret Lux X vs Corona X? I've always been a Smith chick since they fit so well with my Smith goggles, so never really tried Pret's fit.

I'm looking for MIPS and vents that I can open/close with my gloves on. But is the Corona X $80 better than the Luxe X? :)

Looks like the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are over, so I'll prob wait a few weeks until they come back....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Same companies do make different types of helmets. I wear Salomon as that's what the local shop has. But I need the Icon. Some are oval fit, some are round fit. The new Salomon with the visor is the wrong fit for my head. I really wanted to get it this year. So hopefully next year will see the other fit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
it seems to feel a little snug. And I'm definitely a small (54 cm head). I can't remember - will this pack out a little?
Is it overall snug or does it have pressure points where its snug? Sometimes a helmet just isn't the right shape for your head.
If you're looking for MIPS and you like the shape of the Vantage, you may like the Pret Lyric X. It has a similar fit and don't have a brim.
I have a review here.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/pret-lyric-x-womens-helmet.3799/

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Is it overall snug or does it have pressure points where its snug? Sometimes a helmet just isn't the right shape for your head.
If you're looking for MIPS and you like the shape of the Vantage, you may like the Pret Lyric X. It has a similar fit and don't have a brim.
I have a review here.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/pret-lyric-x-womens-helmet.3799/

@Tricia - I picked up a Pret Corona X today! (Went with the berry, but would have possibly gotten the sage if they had it in stock in a small.) I wanted a MIPS helmet with controllable vents, so tried on the Luxe X and Corona X (the Lyric X had better colors, but no open/close vent). Unfortunately for me, the Corona felt a little better on my head. Of course it was more expensive. But it's worth it to protect the noggin. Another Pret convert!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia - I picked up a Pret Corona X today! (Went with the berry, but would have possibly gotten the sage if they had it in stock in a small.) I wanted a MIPS helmet with controllable vents, so tried on the Luxe X and Corona X (the Lyric X had better colors, but no open/close vent). Unfortunately for me, the Corona felt a little better on my head. Of course it was more expensive. But it's worth it to protect the noggin. Another Pret convert!
I love how light weight they are!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Giro seems to have upped their game with all of their helmets now MIPS. They now have an adjustable fit mechanism on one model that actually expands or crimps together the helmet shell when adjusting the fit.
Giro also has a helmet model with a flip down visor and open/close vents.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's been -

So my questions - will the helmet pack out a bit? How snug is too snug? Is it common for two helmets from the same company, but different models fit differently?

thanks!
I was against the vantage too because of the brim but the helmet fit better then anything else. I sized up in the vantage MIPS to a large. It allows for a skull cap or under helmet hood to fit when needed on very cold days. If you are at the far end of the fit adjust, try the larger size. The MILS layer seems to snugg it up compared to without. Also I would not count on the helmet packing out. And yes different models within a line can be designed to fit different head shapes so fit different then just the size measurements would suggest.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, I forgot their hashtag #notjustanotherhelmet :D

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
yes, as said above different models within a manufacturers line can and will fit differently. I tried the Smith Variance and the Vantage and the Vantage fit better for me--though not good enough. Giro Seam fits me pretty well. I tried a couple Pret models, as I like how slim they look but none of the ones I tried fit me at all--pressure points on front and rear and gaps on the sides---I probably just picked the wrong models.
However, maybe this is unrealistic for some reason-- but I really wish manufacturers would indicate whether each individual model was more for rounder heads or oval heads maybe with an R or O designation, that way it would be a better starting point when looking for a new helmet.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yves inreed, in Manu case Sherie a helmet exist Sith and withouten MIPS or otter slip-plane Technology, the mold is the dame, zo the adder features go “inside the Size”, e

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And once more with English language auto correct....

In many cases where helmets exist with and without MIPS or other slip-plane technology, the mold is the same, and so it effectively reduces the size of the helmet.

I know the OP got a helmet already, but just for future shoppers:

As far as sizing, if it’s bothering you on the couch after 30 minutes, it sure is going to bother you after a whole day. And what if you want to add a layer for warmth?

Re: brims, I have a Giro with a small brim similar to the Vantage, and it’s never bothered me when putting my goggles up (size M). Sure, it takes two hands, and you have to position it a bit more carefully, but it stays put most of the time. I must admit I tend to keep my goggles on most of the time, though.
If it does end up slipping up a lot a bit of stick-on velco (where the strap sits) and/or hockey tape (where the frame sits) can help keep it in place.

I LOVE having a brim. I wear a cap a lot the rest of the time, I certainly want to keep the sun and glare out of my eyes on a bright mountain. It allows me to use a slightly lighter lens, for better visibility in low light conditions(trees). It also reduces glare in the lens. And, when it’s snowing, it reduces the amount of water on the goggle, for better visibility and less fogging.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I am also a Pret convert, thanks to getting one last season while ski testing for Pugski at Snowbasin. I was always a Smith fan, too, but the darn things would always slip forward and push my goggles down. I was CONSTANTLY fiddling with my goggles. (Oakley Flight Deck XM goggles, but before that, I was wearing Zeal goggles.)
Anyway, I think you'll love the Pret once you get out and test it on the mountain.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Does anyone wear beanies under their helmet? Now that I have a Squaw pass (last year was Sugar Bowl), I have to deal with more winds, and I can feel it a bit with the new helmet. I've looked online, but it's hard to see what's thin enough. Any reccos?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But don't test it too much.
Yeah, definitely not!
Does anyone wear beanies under their helmet? Now that I have a Squaw pass (last year was Sugar Bowl), I have to deal with more winds, and I can feel it a bit with the new helmet. I've looked online, but it's hard to see what's thin enough. Any reccos?
I wear a super thin Smartwool one.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
On the question of helmet pack-out: I bought a Smith Vantage after the end of last season. I have a pretty large head, so I bought the biggest size. It seemed just a bit tight, so I worried. For a while I thought I'd send it back, but then I tried on my bike helmet, which was smaller. So ok. After one day skiing, the Smith fit was perfect — no pain, no headache, no irritated skier. The difference was that the liner had packed out, just enough to make it comfortable. I haven't tried on my thin balaclava yet, but I think it'll work.

Sponsor

Staff online