• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking of getting audio so my son and I can easily communicate on the mountain without having to deal with pulling a phone out. I see that Outdoor Tech Audio Chips 2 seems to be mentioned a lot but from the reviews I've read they have have issues with maintaining a connection. Anyone here using them? How's the quality? How's the walkie-talkie feature? I love the idea of not having to rely on a cell tower signal.

I see that POC has a built-in communication helmet but it requires a wire and I'd prefer wireless. That said, anyone have that and if so do you like it? It also has a 2-way radio function so it's very appealing.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I've used OT Chips the past three seasons. Never had a single connection issue. Running bluetooth all day will eat up your phone/ipod battery. Even fully charged, I rarely make it bell to bell with the tunes rolling. Note, the Chips battery is not running out, rather my audio player. I used to use wired Skull Candy headset, but the connections on that were a real POS.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
W/ the OT chips 2.0 they will sound like any other cheap headphone until you wake up the 40mm drivers w/ your built in equalizer. Crank up the bass and lower end and they Pump like no other "in helmet" setup.

Reading that the walkie talkie set up is Crap so far............ haven't tried it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used the Chips 2.0 last season. They connected well with my phone and listening to music and making phone calls were easy. I thought the sound quality was fine. I couldn’t seem to get the walkie talkie feature to work reliably, and my calls and emails to the company went unanswered.... I noted that there have been several updates to the app since last winter, so maybe they figured this piece out.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
This (or very similar) is what I used for my paragliding/ski helmet. 2-way radio is used, so you need a PTT switch (push-to-talk). The earphone/mic are fastened into the helmet. The PPT switch is on the top/side of the helmet. The coil cord goes to the radio that is stored in a vest holder or in a jacket pocket.

Your hands never need to leave your poles (or your paragliding brake handles). The sound quality is good. It is not designed for cell phones, or for playing music. It is for conversing over the radio.

http://www.planetheadset.com/helmet-headset.php

http://www.parasupply.com/revamp/ca...gliding geo one full face helmet in red 2.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm thinking of getting audio so my son and I can easily communicate on the mountain without having to deal with pulling a phone out. I see that Outdoor Tech Audio Chips 2 seems to be mentioned a lot but from the reviews I've read they have have issues with maintaining a connection. Anyone here using them? How's the quality? How's the walkie-talkie feature? I love the idea of not having to rely on a cell tower signal.

I see that POC has a built-in communication helmet but it requires a wire and I'd prefer wireless. That said, anyone have that and if so do you like it? It also has a 2-way radio function so it's very appealing.

Coincidently I was in A Basin today when these guys from Japan sat down next to me with a final prototype of a Helmet comm device from Sony. Talked to the designer (he was sitting next to me) and it should be out by December. I tested it right there and wow, worked great. Does not require an earpiece at all and everyone can communicate at once without the need to press a button or anything you just talk and thats it.

The mount sticks with a built in 3M adhesive like a GoPro mount and the the unit clicks into it.

IMG_8962.JPG

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Maybe I'll give the Chips a chance after all. It's not a ton of money so it's worth the chance. I'll check out the option pchewn posted as well.

Ken, that thing looks huge in the photo. How is it in person?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Maybe I'll give the Chips a chance after all. It's not a ton of money so it's worth the chance. I'll check out the option pchewn posted as well.

Ken, that thing looks huge in the photo. How is it in person?

Its not too large and not that heavy. The helmet did not feel any different with it on.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a bit of an unconventional setup because my home mountain has reasonably good verizon coverage.

I have a K2 phase pro audio helmet. (available cheap here: https://www.levelninesports.com/k2-phase-pro-audio-helmet-2017 )

It came with a wired male to male audio connector with an "answer" button and volume button which I used for a couple seasons.

I've since purchased a bluetooth audio adapter. (Similar to this but it sits flush with the helmet: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Receiver-Microphone-Streaming/dp/B013QJ0W8Q ). Built in Microphone plus easier to "push" to answer a phone call instead the old answer button.

Sponsor

Staff online