• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hellytech Performance and Professional fabric review

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
They only get one season out of the uniforms? Seems like a huge waste. Why not replace on an "as needed" basis.

Oh, it's needed....

Speaking of waste, the uniforms from every Vail resort are being shipped to Washington State where they will be washed and then driving back across the country again. I'm sure that somehow they have done the math on this and shown that it is better than doing it locally. :huh:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Blister podcast has a couple of pretty interesting interviews with product managers for GoreTex and TNF Futurelight. Kudos to Sam Shaheen for trying to cut through BS and get some real technical details from these guys. Consumers who spend $500+ on a hardhsell deserve to know those details. Here are my takes from listening to both:

1. There is almost zero real membrane innovation at Gore, they keep tweak the same membrane and even hinted about going back to EPFTE-PU layered membrane. They emphasize durability, but that's as much of a symptom of not being able to compete on breathability so much. The interesting thing is of course the Gore with stretch, or the newer stretch GoreTex. I was curious how they could make a non-stretching membrane such as EPFTE stretch, and turns out that they essentially crincle it by laminating to a stretched sheet of elastase and then allowing it to contract. To me that laminate has internal stress built in and should be inherently prone to delamination, which I will see because my wife just got a stretch Gore jacket for this season. Probably this is why they replaced that fabric this season with the new stretch that is only a two-way stretch, which is lighter and probably not as stressed at the boundaries. time will tell. The Gore guy was annoyingly not willing to tell anything at all, despite Sam asking fairly direct materials questions.

2. Futurelight is the big news, and the TNF guy was much more forthcoming. Bottom line is that Futurelight is nothing more than a highly optimized NeoShell. The membrane seems to be the same, electrospun PU nanofibers, but TNF is doing it in house ( I suppose a patent lock on NeoShell has expired?). The resulting membrane has much better air permeability than EPTFE. TNF claims that they were able to dial in the combination of shell fabric, membrane and backer to achieve a proper balance of air permeability, moisture transfer, and water column resistance. Sounds very ambitious, but also not out of this world. The real questions are of course how that membrane behaves under stress in wet conditions, think your underarms rubbing the torso in the rain. Even the best DWR wears off and then it is about the shell fabric retaining water and the membrane itself being able to resist penetration, TNF says that when they first tested it, there was no way back. I’d does remind me the first day of skiing in a NeoShell jacket, there was no going back. That FlyLo jacket is pretty beat up now, but I still use it on good day and fall back on my Gore Arcteryx only on storms days. Anyone can sell me a new NorthFace Brigandine Futurelight jacket at a decent discount? I will report on A/B with Arcteryx;-).

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know, I wore a FlyLow neoshell jacket yesterday and got pretty soaked in a constant. Drizzle. Last March I was so soaked through the neoshell in a rain at Stowe that I put a goretex arcteryx thin shell underneath.
The Flylow fabric gets soaked too. Maybe it needs a new dwr? I think FL dumped neoshell.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you are standing still in a nice dry place the uniforms are pretty good.
Yes, standing still. Goodness, the heaviest and maybe most restrictive ski wear I've ever put on. And I haven't been outside with it yet. Yikes.
What's up with the bell bottom pants?
Just looking for ways to add weight I suppose.
I think these were selected based on lbs/$. The upside is if I decide to ski jore in the parking lot, fall down and get dragged, I'll be ok.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm glad you are looking for upside. I was talking to someone today who said that the mountain can't stop him from skinning n those pants before work. I was like "good luck with that! They are hard enough to walk in when dry and after the first 30 seconds you will be so sweaty that you won't be able to move at all!".

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm glad you are looking for upside. I was talking to someone today who said that the mountain can't stop him from skinning n those pants before work. I was like "good luck with that! They are hard enough to walk in when dry and after the first 30 seconds you will be so sweaty that you won't be able to move at all!".
Has anyone tried removing the pant liner?
It's like "how can I turn my padded, rolling, double ski bag into a pair of pants?" Just remove the wheels and cut to not fit anyone. Then, to be safe, make the leg bottoms twice normal width.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I say just get everyone to show up in their own pants. Its not like they can hire enough new people anyways.

Sponsor