• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
I moved from Maine to Covington Kentucky, right across from Cincy, a couple of years ago. Perfect North is surprisingly good. They make snow whenever it's cold enough. Although the runs are short, Center Stage and Hollywood have a pretty good pitch. I'm retired, so get to ski midweek and it's not usually crowded. CVG is really easy to fly out of. I've never had to wait long making it through security.
Cincy and Northern Kentucky also has a pretty good food scene. Plus, it's bourbon country.
This is good to hear! I’ll definitely check out Perfect North a couple times. Not sure if I want to buy the pass or not.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Luckily if I go to Taos, I’ll be going with my sister and her husband, who owns a 4WD pickup.

I spoke to a rep from the SLC transportation authority who told me there is a ski bus that runs from the Ogden train station to Snowbasin, so that might be a possibility if we don’t rent a car.

Anybody ever stay in Ogden? I’ve heard very mixed things, from ‘best small ski town’ to ‘seedy, dirty, avoid!’

I stayed at an Airbnb in Ogden this past March. It was really nice and affordable. I did have my car, so it made getting around easier. Lots of restaurants in downtown Ogden.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I grew up skiing in Dayton, OH. There was a tiny ski hill in Bellbrook that would have been a reasonable distance from Cinci, but it is long gone.

My take is that is is better to ski regularly at a pathetic midwest bump than to only ski a couple days a year on an expensive trip out west. You get more practice that way and it is still fun, even if it isn't what you can call "epic." If I could have fun at Sugarcreek Ski Hills, you can have fun skiing anywhere.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing- our car is a 2012 Chrysler 200. Hubby and I worry that too many long drives will kill it...
I wouldn't worry about that too much as long it's in decent condition, in general long trips are easier on a car than lots of short ones.

Snow tires + AWD is a great combination, but I'd expect you'll be fine with just snows in all but the worst conditions. Do yourself a favor and study the Colorado traction and chain law: https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/TractionLaw

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
We do have snow tires. Thr car just isn’t in great shape : (
I grew up skiing in Dayton, OH. There was a tiny ski hill in Bellbrook that would have been a reasonable distance from Cinci, but it is long gone.

My take is that is is better to ski regularly at a pathetic midwest bump than to only ski a couple days a year on an expensive trip out west. You get more practice that way and it is still fun, even if it isn't what you can call "epic." If I could have fun at Sugarcreek Ski Hills, you can have fun skiing anywhere.
maybe I’ll work on skiing backwards!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

That's always my plan for if I get bored at a smaller place. I never seem to though. I did successfully do a (poorly done) 360 for the first time late this season though.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier

That's always my plan for if I get bored at a smaller place. I never seem to though. I did successfully do a (poorly done) 360 for the first time late this season though.

Cool! I have been gradually trying to work up the courage to hit some bigger jumps in the terrain parks. Right now I just go off the smallest jumps. Maybe I can work on jumps at Perfect North.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Several folks stayed in Ogden for the Snowbasin phase of our big Utah Gathering last March. I stayed there some years back in the historic 25th street area. It's nice with lots of restaurants within walking distance. There are motels there with shuttle service to Snowbasin. Downtown Ogden to Snowbasin is about 20-25 miles, takes approx 40 minutes drive in fair weather. Ogden to SLC is about 50 minutes drive.

Some ideas if you are targeting Utah with MCP: you could go for one longer trip and ski Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin, or two shorter trips doing Alta/Bird separately from Snowbasin. In the first scenario a rental car would be very handy for relocations because the distance from Alta to Snowbasin is about two hours and logistically doable by public trans, but time consuming and with multiple transfers. The neat thing about MCP is that even after you use up your two free days, you get add'l days at half price, so you could add a day or two to a dedicated Snowbasin trip for fairly minor extra cost compared to total travel expense.

Sounds like you've committed to MCP and I'm not sure if that means driving to Utah, Aspen or Taos is no longer a consideration for you. There are reasonable motels near Aspen (Glenwood Springs) and Taos (town of Taos), but those would be best if you had a car, because they are 45-60 mins from the slopes. The decision to do a big cross country drive is a personal one. Some have more tolerance for that than others. Like some other posters in this thread, I've made that kind of drive to ski the Rockies numerous times. You do want to have a reasonably reliable vehicle, but I have done it many times with cars without snow tires or 4wd. The odds of hazardous driving on the interstate highways between Cinn and Denver is pretty slim for the few days all winter that you'd be traveling them. Once you arrive in ski country there can be a higher chance of seeing snow on the roads, but even then destinations like Loveland, Copper Mtn, Vail involve fairly low risk because they're only a mile from the interstate. In some ways, driving west from Cinn could be less challenging than driving to VT.

PS:
Oops, I should have paid attn to this from you before above post :-;
"Well, we ended up getting the Mountain Collective Pass. We’ll be flying to SLC and skiing Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin Jan 3-12. We can’t wait!"
We’re going to stay at a very affordable hostel in SLC from the 5th-12, when we will ski Alta & Snowbird. (Only $34/day.) We are going to look for an affordable place to stay near Snowbasin Jan 3-4. Any suggestions for cheap lodging near Snowbasin greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January