• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you look at the older photos, this one tells the story of the inside foot:

tlt_0546-jpg.68676

the inside ski is tipped at a much lesser angle than the outside ski. This is because you're loading it and not managing it properly.

the inside ski should be light and tipping into the turn just like the outside ski.

this is a great photo because it shows what happens if you don't unweight it and tip it from the foot/ankle - the knee is tipped in, but not the foot - the boot is actually tipped out by the snow pressure, it's very visible that the boot is tipped out more than the tibia - which also likely means your boots are too large and/or not done properly. You've pulled the foot back, sure enough, but not unweighted it and tipped it enough.

also - there is no evidence you're not popping up tall - those frames are missing ;)

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My initial reaction was, "I don't think I've seen tracks like that before." So the other day I challenged myself to see if I could reproduce them. I thought back on the earlier discussion about pulling your inside foot back. So what I did was ride a carve completely on the outside ski, while letting the inside ski slip way forward with very little weight on it. Voila, tracks that looked just like yours. The inside ski wasn't decambering. The tip and tail were making separate, shallow tracks.

Work on avoiding such a substantial tip lead. Actively dorsiflect with the inside foot, raising your toes. At the same time, bend that knee, to bring the foot even farther back. One result of this should be a measure of downward force on the front of the inside ski. That will result in the entire little toe edge of the inside ski being engaged, which will leave a single, somewhat deeper track.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Carving on the inside ski outside edge will get you over the top of that ski. It does take some strength and balance.

TS
Ozan

Ozan

Booting up
Skier
1 question though.. what is it all these guys talking about 100% outside ski. Luc neron here. I remember paul lorenz advocating that too somewhere

FF to 3:18

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
And make it difficult to direct pressure to the outside ski.
No intention of pressuring the outside ski. It's off the snow. Just like lifting the inside ski to direct pressure, edging and counter to the outside ski inside edge.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1 question though.. what is it all these guys talking about 100% outside ski. Luc neron here. I remember paul lorenz advocating that too somewhere

This is my best take on it, based on a lot of coaching from talented people. A big issue for many, many developing skiers is fear of commitment to the outside ski, which goes along with fear of commitment to the new turn. What one wants to achieve is getting the new inside ski out of the way, and balancing on the new outside ski. As one completes changing edges, this becomes balancing on the inside edge of the outside ski. Incomplete release of the old outside ski can easily lead to a reliance on that ski for sharing support, and to leaning into the turn--not good. On the other hand, inside foot management is a crucial skill, and generally one needs to give more conscious, active input to the inside foot than to the outside foot. One wants the inside ski to be tracking fully parallel to the outside ski, with the same edge angle so as to assist in shaping the turn. Another aspect of this is avoiding excessive inside tip lead. A benefit of minimizing tip lead is that when one shifts weight to set up the transition into the next turn, one isn't thrown back, out of fore-aft balance.

We can distinguish between mental process and actual results. A mental commitment to relying entirely on the outside ski to support one's weight is what's needed and it's effective. The actual result of good inside foot management will be that some small percentage of one's weight will be borne by that foot. I'm quite incapable of measuring how much, and will just say that I look for it to be a result of doing other good things rather than actively seeking to have my inside foot bear weight. If we're going to leave railroad tracks in the snow, which is widely acknowledged to be a worthy goal (not in all circumstances, of course), it's obvious that the inside foot will be bearing some weight. The only way to avoid this entirely would be to keep the inside ski lifted off the snow all the time, generally considered to be a good exercise but not the preferred way of everyday skiing. Finally, consider the fact that weight shift setting up transition to the next turn is not an instantaneous move. It's a process that develops through some substantial part of the last phase of the old turn, and for that time yes, one will be actively seeking to direct weight to the old inside ski.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
No intention of pressuring the outside ski. It's off the snow. Just like lifting the inside ski to direct pressure, edging and counter to the outside ski inside edge.

White Pass turns? Meaning, you're turning on the new inside ski, little toe edge?
Not sure what that has to do with the thread title.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

FF to 3:18

Make sure you are also watching the discussion of the release at 4:45. There is a transfer of pressure from the outside ski to the new outside ski that begins in the fall line.

There are several aspects to this concept. The first is that the CoM is traveling with the skis -- it isn't be pushed over and inside by the extension of the outside leg from edge change to apex of the turn. Rather, the tipping of the lower leg as the feet travel away from the CoM from edge change to apex allows the body to move toward the snow. Second, because the outside lower leg (and the inside one as well, but you will see that the inside leg is not as involved in this phase of the turn) is tipping inside and down in from edge change to the apex of the turn, a platform has been created to accept the pressure from the snow and allow the side cut of the ski to bend and provide the turn force to redirect the CoM across the hill. And third, because the CoM is moving with the skis and because the pressure has been exchanged onto the new outside ski before edge change, the pressure is present on the outside ski from edge change to apex to bend the ski.

Mike