• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Upstate NY

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello everyone,

My name is Ivan. I am 29 yrs old, was born in Russia, and currently live in Binghamton, NY. I am a third generation skier; my dad (who is a very good skier) taught my sister and me how to ski when we were kids. I have been skiing since I was 6. When I lived in Russia, we used to ski on small hills around Moscow pretty much every weekend in winter.

I moved to the US (SF Bay Area) in 2012 with my wife to do a PhD, and in California we went skiing to Tahoe. I never trained with a coach or skied competitively, but I participated in GS masters races a couple of times in California. Then our son was born in 2015, and after that I did not ski as often as I had before.

I completed my PhD this summer and moved to Binghamton for work. I am excited to be much closer to ski resorts (albeit smaller ones) than we were in California. This ski season is pretty special for us, because I have started teaching my son (he is 3 yrs old now) to ski. Though I probably won't get to ski much this season and will spend most of my time on bunny slopes with my son, I am really excited about skiing with him. I attach a couple of ski photos with the little one.

As far as my skiing goes, I prefer ski groomed trails with hard packed (or even icy) snow. I use race stock skis and boots because I love how they feel, and I hope to get back to masters racing again at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 6
TS
Ivan

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome an check out the Pocono meet up thread, Elk is a common destination which is maybe an hour south of you.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure we'll ski at Elk at some point. It is almost as close to Binghamton as Greek Peak, but it does not have any magic carpet lifts. Given that I'm skiing with a three year old who just started skiing, magic carpet lifts are currently more convenient than usual chair lifts.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! If you're interested in Masters racing here's the website for New York Masters: nymasters.net

We have a couple of upcoming races at Labrador and Song Mountain if you're interested. There's also Mid Atlantic Masters-mamasters.org that has races in PA.

VancitySkier127

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! So you dont mind the icy snow either eh? Maybe you should come check out the west coast in Van one day ;) haha

Have a happy new years bud.

TS
Ivan

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome! If you're interested in Masters racing here's the website for New York Masters: nymasters.net

We have a couple of upcoming races at Labrador and Song Mountain if you're interested. There's also Mid Atlantic Masters-mamasters.org that has races in PA.
Thanks! I saw the website already, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it this season. We are expecting our second baby now, so my wife currently does not ski and only I can ski with our son. I'd love to race at least once or twice this season, but we'll see what happens.

Welcome! So you dont mind the icy snow either eh? Maybe you should come check out the west coast in Van one day ;) haha

Have a happy new years bud.
Thanks! Happy New Year, too! Yeah, I love icy slopes because I got used to them in Moscow. The weather there is pretty variable in winter (probably somewhat similar to the East Coast), it can be 30+ degrees one day and below 15 degrees the next day. On top of that, the hills around Moscow are fairly small and there are lots of skiers who ski more or less the same line, so it tends to get icy fairly often.

But anyway, I loved skiing in California and I hope to go skiing to the West Coast and to the Rockies one day. But now it's family first :)

Sponsor

Staff online