• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from NJ

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Hi all... been lurking for a while, skied 5 or 6 times back in HS in the Poconos then had a friend of mine nearly 20 years later say "want to come skiing in Colorado?". Had no idea what I was getting myself into, but have been loving it ever since. Will typically do a trip out west once or twice a year and then a few days on a local mountain. This year feels like I've been able to take my skiing to the next level as I've started to figure out bumps a little bit and what felt really steep last year wasn't so bad this year--I've been enjoying trying things that I would not have touched in past years. Really feel like this year things have just suddenly clicked!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ahh, the Garden State, the land of traffic circles and diners. Welcome. I skied the Poconos in my wayward youth and survived and it sounds like you are too. Glad you are working your way west and that you are getting to that "next level" in your progression. We look forward to your particapation here and answering questions along with hearing about your accomplishments.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Welcome: What part of our great state are you from?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi all...
-
This year feels like I've been able to take my skiing to the next level as I've started to figure out bumps a little bit and what felt really steep last year wasn't so bad this year--I've been enjoying trying things that I would not have touched in past years. Really feel like this year things have just suddenly clicked!
Awesome!

Ahh, the Garden State, the land of traffic circles and diners.
Yep, we really need to disconnect the bridges and let it float off to sea!

Nice,
-
in the '80s. That was when we thought it was cool to ski in jeans.

Welcome!
ditto, well actually the 70's for me, and such idiots we where with our frozen solid icicle embossed denim pant legs which satuirated the duofold long johns on every visit to the lodge! Even more nuts that we had the lattest high-performance gear and in no way did we ever have to wear blue jeans! Ah, the memories! Thx, @laine!

TS
Arcane

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Nice, I grew up in North Jersey, Exit 14.
We did Friday night junior high school trips to Vernon Valley in the '80s. That was when we thought it was cool to ski in jeans.
Welcome!

I used to be Exit 12 up until Junior high, then 8A until the late 90's

Fortunately I never skied in jeans, but in HS ski club (late 80's for me) but there's some part of me that still thinks "whoa, that's pretty cool" seeing someone in snowboard pants that looks like jeans. Maybe a holdover from those early days on the bunny slope. The biggest change for me now days is back then you would never be caught dead wearing a helmet. Now I look around and see everyone in helmets and it's almost odd to see someone without.

Awesome!
ditto, well actually the 70's for me, and such idiots we where with our frozen solid icicle embossed denim pant legs which satuirated the duofold long johns on every visit to the lodge! Even more nuts that we had the lattest high-performance gear and in no way did we ever have to wear blue jeans! Ah, the memories! Thx, @laine!

So funny seeing people in jeans now--I know whenever I go to Camelback you'll see people with jeans on soaking wet snowplowing down the mountain.

Thank you guys for the welcome!

Uncle-A

Skier
All these exits are on the NJ Turnpike. You can find me off the GSPW 137 - 138 now; although soon to be off NJ Turnpike 7A as soon as we sell the existing house.

BobF

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey Arcane- I’m a 67 yrs young Garden Stater myself and still go to Camelback & Mountain Creek plus a trip to Colo each year. What a great season we’ve had this year! I’m still a newbie to this forum as well, but the advice I’ve picked up already as to new equipment has been an absolute game changer for me. The right skis & boots have me charging at bumps and crud now that I’ve avoided in the past. What a blast. Ask away! There’s lots of helpful folks here. Welcome!

andrewd

Hold on.. I'm trying to plan a trip
Skier
I have not... nearby it’s been Camelback and Jack Frost mostly. Learned originally at Shawnee back in HS.

Down in South Jersey.. Exit 4 :)

I grew up in North Jersey (But my fiance grew up off exit 5). Skied mostly Camelback and Mountain Creek! Moved to New York 7 years ago and have switched to the Catskills for day trips (I taught her to ski at windham). We take a few weekend trips to Vermont each year and now that she is getting pretty good, we're going to start taking annual trips out west - Working on planning Telluride for 2018/2019.

Uncle-A

Skier
I grew up in North Jersey (But my fiance grew up off exit 5). Skied mostly Camelback and Mountain Creek! Moved to New York 7 years ago and have switched to the Catskills for day trips (I taught her to ski at windham). We take a few weekend trips to Vermont each year and now that she is getting pretty good, we're going to start taking annual trips out west - Working on planning Telluride for 2018/2019.
Welcome and I hope you enjoy the community.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I grew up in North Jersey (But my fiance grew up off exit 5). Skied mostly Camelback and Mountain Creek! Moved to New York 7 years ago and have switched to the Catskills for day trips (I taught her to ski at windham). We take a few weekend trips to Vermont each year and now that she is getting pretty good, we're going to start taking annual multiple trips out west - Working on planning Telluride for 2018/2019.
Fixed it for ya.

Sponsor