• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Albuquerque

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ll be turning 70 years old this year, about 150-155 lb, 68” in ski clothing and boots. Started skiing in Med school around 1978, back in the 80’s I did a few Lathrop Learn to Race Ski Camps, and NASTAR, with my best results being Silver medals. I skied one Masters GS and one SL at Stratton back then. Over the years I’ve averaged between 5-10 days/year. For the past decade I have skied about 5 days/year mostly at Alta, but also at Taos a couple times; about 70-80% Blues, 20-30% Blacks, 8000-15,000 vertical feet/day. Pretty crappy in moguls, so-so in powder.

Previous skis:

Rossignol ST Comp 190cm with Spademan bindings (anyone remember those?).
Atomic Bionic SL 195cm, Marker MR bindings - bought these after someone told me at a learn to race camp that they were watching me come down the course on the ST Comps - "Did you know that your tips were doing this (makes wild fluttering hand movements)?"
Salomon 9000E 2S 200 cm
Volkl Carver2 190 cm.

As you can tell, I’ve had a bias toward carving/racing skis. Current skis are Salomon X-Wing Tornados 162cm all-mountain skis, and are OK but could use better edgehold in icy conditions. I have taken these into boot-top high powder, and once into knee-high powder, and have done OK so not sure that I need wider skis, but they are 13 years old. Looks like ski technology has advanced some since then so I am in the market for new skis. My boots are Salomon X/Max 110W, 305mm BSL.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome Jim! Fellow New Mexican here.

If you are seeking advice on new skis, you might want to look at the reviews and then post a question in the Hardgoods section.

Also, check out the Taos mini-gathering thread. A Taos skiweek with a bunch of Pugs might be something you'd be interested in.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Hey @JimL nice to have another New Mexican here! Come see us in Santa Fe (if your not already a regular). We’ll get you tuned up for Taos so you can get tuned up for Alta:wave:

Sponsor