• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helicopter rescue in Alps

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kaprun disaster.. :(
True, sometimes it also goes the other way... and what's not so common knowledge with that... noone was found responsible for that. After years on court, they called it accident that couldn't be prevented and noone is responsible for that.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been watching documentary on Netflix called "The Horn" Highly recommend if you are looking for something to watch.

"Following the perilous work of Air Zermatt, an alpine search and rescue team that operates on the peaks of Switzerland's Matterhorn mountain."
Sounds super interesting - thanks for the info!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
True, sometimes it also goes the other way... and what's not so common knowledge with that... noone was found responsible for that. After years on court, they called it accident that couldn't be prevented and noone is responsible for that.
Yeah my brother lives nearby there. The slant I get from him is that Austria is somewhat unique..they don't seem to have much in the way of liability at all, for anything. I don't think Germany is the same. So maybe regional variations? Dunno. I'd hate to be a family member of one of those killed. Very aggravating.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@scott43 I don't know exact practice, but it's in general in Europe that things are a bit (or probably a lot) more slack then in USA. Here you are still responsible yourself for your stupid doings and it's not so easy to sue everyone for everything. So yeah, maybe it's "not much of liability" but I actually like it this way. Now if Austria has it less then Germany or some other country, I honestly don't know. But in this particular case (and few other accidents in ski resorts where it was clearly operators fault), they sort of silently put it under the rug, as skiing is just too important business in Austria, and few dead people can't threaten whole country's economy. I somehow actually understand this, but in such cases it goes way to far, and if consequences of such errors are several dead people, you really need to do something, not just drop everything and say "oh well it is what it is, let's roll on like nothing happened".

Sponsor